A conversion story, Andrew Klavan, author, screenwriter.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was an interesting interview I found while I was cruising youtube. Andrew Klavan is an author, screenwriter (two of his novels were made into movies and he wrote a screenplay which starred Michael Caine) and a conservative video commentarian...

Why his conversion story is interesting:

--From non-religous Jew to atheist to conservative christian...His judaism was dropped because of the shallowness of his Barmitzva, and his atheism was halted by reading the philosophies of the Marquis de sade...
--Berkely educated liberal to conservative...liberal till the fall of he Berlin wall
--the amazing nature of religion was partly brought about by neighbors who would have sex in the front of the uncurtained window of their front room in their townhome...

he also discusses hollywood, political correctness and other topics...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please stop talking about politics as if it were religion ... oh, ewww!

But still, that bit (you know which bit) aside, talking about political decision making as if it were the same as chosing between mythical creator deities is very worrying.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You must have missed the part where he talked about going from non-religous judaism to atheism to conserative christianity. That is...mmmm...a conversion...don't you think?

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I didn't miss it ... I just didn't think that that was the point of the OP ... you've got 'form' my friend :lol:.

P.S. Not meaning to imply that I don't of course :D. At least I don't use certain phrases any more because they genuinely upset a couple of the more religious members on the site; I must get some points for that :).

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have missed the part where he talked about going from non-religous judaism to atheism to conserative christianity. That is...mmmm...a conversion...don't you think?

Non religious Judaism is more than likely atheism. I really don't like any kind of convert, they are so keen and eager they make me very tired.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I still can't quite get my head around the concept of non-religious Judaism. Judaism, by definition, is religious. If you meant a secular Jew, say that. A secular Jew technically has no religion, so can't really 'convert'.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still can't quite get my head around the concept of non-religious Judaism. Judaism, by definition, is religious. If you meant a secular Jew, say that. A secular Jew technically has no religion, so can't really 'convert'.

Well we've had some talk here about Church of England vicars who say they don't believe in Jesus' resurrection etc, now I don't but surely it's in a vicar's job description that he/she has to? How can you be a vicar if you aren't religious or have any faith? Perhaps they could start a club with non religious Jews!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to get on my usual anti-Religion bandwagon but maybe that's because they know the 'source material' better than most? Disillusionment often accompanies deeper understanding when the topic is founded on a fallacy; in my case I just wish my dad would stop trying to reconvert me {it makes me feel so very guilty knowing he's trying so hard because he feels he hasn't got much time left to 'save' me} :(.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to get on my usual anti-Religion bandwagon but maybe that's because they know the 'source material' better than most? Disillusionment often accompanies deeper understanding when the topic is founded on a fallacy; in my case I just wish my dad would stop trying to reconvert me {it makes me feel so very guilty knowing he's trying so hard because he feels he hasn't got much time left to 'save' me} :(.

I don't care what they believe but they are taking their saleries, houses etc under false pretenses as well as 'conning' innocent people who do believe. It's their congregations choice to be Christians and to believe I think it's unfair of these vicars to remain while administering to these people under false pretences.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I understand your point :nods:. But given that it's false pretences anyhow it's a distinction that makes no difference {actually, no, that's not fair upon those who do believe}.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand your point :nods:. But given that it's false pretences anyhow it's a distinction that makes no difference {actually, no, that's not fair upon those who do believe}.

LOL, in your opinion it's false pretences! Being a vicar is still a job, they are taking a salary, they get a house, pension etc etc so they should be qualfied to do that job. The job description says you should be a believing practicing Christian who can minister to the needs of a Christian congregation, if you don't fit the criteria you should leave or be sacked.

The Importance of Atheists.

Rabbi Moshe Leib said:
There is no quality and there is no power of man that was created to no purpose. And even base and corrupt qualities can be uplifted to serve God. When, for example, haughty self-assurance is uplifted it changes into a high assurance in the ways of G-d. But to what end can the denial of G-d have been created? This too can be uplifted through deeds of charity. For if someone comes to you and asks your help, you shall not turn him out with pious words, saying: 'Have faith and take your troubles to G-d!' You shall act as if there were no G-d, as if there were only one person in all the world who could help this man--only yourself."

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

He was from a different time, Mark. :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was from a different time, Mark. :(

It's also hard not to still try and influence your children as you never quite see your kids as adults. You always feel as responsible for them as you did when they were young as indeed they are to your eyes!

Latest Discussions