A complete newbie to the Bujinkan

Humble Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am soon to be joining training real soon. And I was wondering is there any dues and don'ts as far as a student.
Is there any books I should read and or stay away from.
I am guess I should be reading things from Soke. And stay away from Mr. A. Kim.

And to all thanks for the heads up.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, honestly, read books for your own interest, but don't confuse that with training to develop any skill. The short answer is to train in what your instructor gives you to train in, allow yourself to accept that things will be different from your past training, to the point where you get told things that directly contradict your previous training, and that is fine. Don't question the training (at least when you are getting used to the system), meaning try to avoid the old "what if?" style questioning. You can ask "why do we do that?", and depending on your instructor, they may have the answer for you (hopefully they will), or they may expect you to discover that for yourself (I once mentioned to my Chief Instructor about a particular aspect of one of the Ryu, hoping for some insight about it.... his response was "Yes.... why do you think that is?" I may mention that I was Dan-graded at the time, and his response would be different for a Kyu-grade asking a question... but at my rank at the time, if I was interested in the various aspects of the Ryu, I was expected to discover things myself, and then check back with him).

Oh, and "dues" are your fees, so, uh, a big "do" is to make sure you pay your "dues" on time!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a saying that is sometimes use in our art: Shut up and train.
This does not mean that you should not ask questions if you are stuck with something or want more information. You can of course do that. The main point of that saying is that you should trust your instructor to guide your training, and that you should try as best as possible to do what he says and just train.

Some things may seem awkward and weird or counter-intuitive, and as Chris said, some people get stuck in a 'what if' loop where they continuously question the things their sensei is teaching them.

OP
H

Humble Student

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
LOL, Sorry about that Chris what I meant to say was Do's but by the time I posted it. It was to late and it would not let me go back and edit that.

And I totally undstand the whole what if thing.

Thanks for the help though guys.:asian:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am soon to be joining training real soon. And I was wondering is there any dues and don'ts as far as a student.
Is there any books I should read and or stay away from.
I am guess I should be reading things from Soke. And stay away from Mr. A. Kim.

And to all thanks for the heads up.
As your screen name would imply, being a "Humble Student" will take you far. Don't be late for class, get there, change and stretch before class, as long as your not disruptive. Instructors like to teach students that are serious and committed. As far as preparing, just go with an open mind, and let the instructor do the rest. Let us know how it goes.

Latest Discussions