7 star double cane

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not sure this is the proper place to ask this.

I was wondering where I can find the 7 star double canes on the net to buy. I am NOT looking for 2 short staffs (which i already have), but i am looking for the metal spikey canes

(for reference: the canes michelle yoeh used against ziyi zhang in the big open room with her "green destiny" sword)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Um....Hookswords?

I'm not sure what your refering to, I'll have to watch that part again I guess.

7sm

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Um....Hookswords?

I'm not sure what your refering to, I'll have to watch that part again I guess.

7sm

i am sure you know.
the 7 star double cane form?
they're basically 2 metal sticks or rods that are 1.5 - 2 feet long. they are about 20 or 30 lb's in weight. they are not smooth in surface, they have small spikes or rings on them.
we learn the form with short staffs made out of wood, but that's only because one of our instructors was practicing and it flew out of his hand to pierce the wall of the school and get to the neighbor's shop. so they replaced them with wood sticks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iron Rods/Hard Whips... they come in a variety of shapes & sizes. I've not seen any like were used in CTHD, but at MAM or WLE they've got them listed as bian... whip. That'll be as close as you get to those I believe.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Iron Rods/Hard Whips... they come in a variety of shapes & sizes. I've not seen any like were used in CTHD, but at MAM or WLE they've got them listed as bian... whip. That'll be as close as you get to those I believe.
they're not whips
they are metal canes, look like short staffs or escrima sticks but they're 1. metal, 2. not smooth

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
they're not whips
they are metal canes, look like short staffs or escrima sticks but they're 1. metal, 2. not smooth

they are called bian... but you're right. there's absolutely no way I could possibly know what I'm talking about. I'm wrong. Totally wrong... do you want me to tell them or are you going to handle it???

http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-77.html

martialartsmart_1896_6616080

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
they are called bian... but you're right. there's absolutely no way I could possibly know what I'm talking about. I'm wrong. Totally wrong... do you want me to tell them or are you going to handle it???

http://www.martialartsmart.net/45-77.html

martialartsmart_1896_6616080

yep, these are the ones. thank you very much!

i just have trouble explaining shapes in words, it's challenging sometimes. hmm.. i did not know they're called 'whips'.. interesting!
do you know why they are called that, altho they do not look like whips?

thank you sir!

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yoohoo
turns out i was totally off describing this thing...
i thought it weighted 20-30 lb's.. but it's only 5.2 LOL
i thought it was 1.5-2 feet long, but it's only 26" long!!!
altho it says weight and length may vary...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
yep, these are the ones. thank you very much!

No problem.

mantis said:
i just have trouble explaining shapes in words, it's challenging sometimes. hmm.. i did not know they're called 'whips'.. interesting!

Well next time before you arbitrarily tell somebody they're wrong, you might want to stop, look or listen to what they have to say or check out their information. You'll go farther without having to apologise so much.

I'm still waiting btw...

mantis said:
do you know why they are called that, altho they do not look like whips?

thank you sir!

Because with many things Chinese, form doesn't always carry the same meaning as function.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
No problem.

Well next time before you arbitrarily tell somebody they're wrong, you might want to stop, look or listen to what they have to say or check out their information. You'll go farther without having to apologise so much.

I'm still waiting btw...

Because with many things Chinese, form doesn't always carry the same meaning as function.

oh, telling you that you are wrong was not in my mind.. i apologize if that offended you. i was only trying to describe the weapon. i realize my language is confusing sometimes... sorry again sir..

have you done any forms with this weapon before?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
oh, telling you that you are wrong was not in my mind.. i apologize if that offended you. i was only trying to describe the weapon. i realize my language is confusing sometimes... sorry again sir..

Thanks & no problem.

mantis said:
have you done any forms with this weapon before?

Nope... nothing to date with it & I don't believe CLF has the weapon in our set lists.

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Nope... nothing to date with it & I don't believe CLF has the weapon in our set lists.

CLF is?

OP
mantis

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Choy Li Fut
ah... sure it is
makes sense...
that's a very interesting style...
im going to be joining a choy li fut school on the side starting this summer when i am away from home... it's somewhere under sifu Doc-Fai Wong lineage...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes they are practticed as the Gans.

Just for the record, I dont think we are so proud of ourselves that we have to demand appologies from each other are we? clfsean you really jumped the gun there man, he wasn't disrespecting you, he simply didn't understand what you were refering to. There is no reason to get our egos all in a bunch, any of us.

7sm

Latest Discussions