540 roundhouse/ bolley kick tutorial

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to correctly perform this kick? I'm having trouble landing on my kicking leg and my kick doesn't really come out. It feels alittle weird when trying to do this kick.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
part 1

part 2

I hope it helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have just recently been playing with this kick, but without any videos or instruction (my instructor will tell me what he thinks and give advice... but he sort of just shakes his head and laughs when I want to play with "impractical flash" like this)
One thing I do is start with my right leg back and then I step forward before I jump and turn (at least that is the way I do it right now). It looks like in the video he sort of winds up and then turns before he jumps, so I do it a little different.

I think a big part of it is thinking "up" rather than "out". Also, I think having someone hold a target for your helps. I started with the target about waist high and tilted at about 45* so I could at least make contact and then just went from there. And I recommend being super warm before you start!

Good luck... I will tell you (at least for me) it is one of those things that you don't get, don't get, don't get and then when it all finally "clicks" once it feels really easy and you wonder what took so long!

Have fun!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The links to the tutorial above are excellent

Mr. Sterling presents a great tutorial

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It looks fun but if you have to wind up your arms before throwing this kick your opponent is going to displace and won't be anywhere near where you expect him to be.

Still, it increases your skills.

Deaf

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Mr. Sterling has an actual DVD Tuturiol on kicks or is it just Youtube segments.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks fun but if you have to wind up your arms before throwing this kick your opponent is going to displace and won't be anywhere near where you expect him to be.

Still, it increases your skills.

Deaf

Excellent point. I think it is very important to remember that there are MANY kicks (dare I say every kick?!?) that have better value for sparring and self-defense. In my opinion this kick's only value is in it's "wow factor". But hey, why not have some "wow" now and then.
icon10.gif

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This kick has three potential uses in sparring...

1) An actual hit - This is unlikely due to its build up but it is still possible if the opponent is overconfident or not experienced.

2) The wow factor - Useful for intimidation. Once they see you can do that kick you only have to wind up your arms to get them to retreat.

3) A positional move - You know where you are going to land and how you will be moving when you land. This gives you the chance to throw the kick and look good (don't forget to smile and wave to the judges) as well as a chance to hit the opponent with the follow up move after you have landed.

Latest Discussions