2nd Degree Black Belt Form

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're doing much better at getting your eyes on the target.
But those kicks... I think I'm going to nickname you "Smurf Killer."

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
You're doing much better at getting your eyes on the target.
But those kicks... I think I'm going to nickname you "Smurf Killer."
My flexibility is bad, let's see what that form looks like for my two year progression in 2021. My goal is to significantly improve flexibility.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My flexibility is bad, let's see what that form looks like for my two year progression in 2021. My goal is to significantly improve flexibility.

I don't think your flexibility is all that bad really...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think that's a good goal, and something to really push in your training. Your kicks are barely belt high, and at your age (what, 20-ish?) you really should be a lot more flexible.
One other thing I noticed. You tend to "table" your rising blocks. Now, if this is what your instructor is telling you to do, then by all means do it. But I'd recommend keeping the elbow down, and the forearm at more of an angle. Tabling the block invites an injury to the elbow that we cannot fix very well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion, as a non-TDK person, I do not think that is detrimental.

I'd say you'd be wrong, then. Why would you want to intentionally limit your target areas? If you can only kick as high as my hip, it sure makes it easier to defend against your kicks.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say you'd be wrong, then. Why would you want to intentionally limit your target areas? If you can only kick as high as my hip, it sure makes it easier to defend against your kicks.
I don’t see a need to kick higher than that. I can do it. I do not believe it is necessary.

But that’s just me. I do understand that my opinion runs counter to typical TKD thought.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don’t see a need to kick higher than that. I can do it. I do not believe it is necessary.

But that’s just me. I do understand that my opinion runs counter to typical TKD thought.
Some old Wing Chun master (I can't remember which one) when questioned about a lack of kicks to the head in his system responded with something like 'yes, and we also tend not to punch people in the legs'

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
keep up the good work, brother, you're getting there. And keep working on your flexibility.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That’s ok. I don’t mind a difference in opinion.

To the OP I simply say: keep working on what you are doing. If increasing the height of your kicks is important to you, then work on that. But if your kicks never get higher than they are, you are no worse for it.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions