2006 Warm Up Drills

M

Mannie

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find new warm-up drills for my general students and my fighters for 2006. Before i ask for some of yours i will share some of mine.

Heres some that we have already.
1. Martial Suicides (Punches-Kicks-Sprawls-Knees-etc..)
2. 5 minutes Skipping Drills (Without rope-Normal/fighting/3 beat/Pump/alternating lead legs/etc...)
3. Ball Challenge - Go to a park or an oval. With partner standing next to you, thrown the ball. He must get to the ball b4 it stops rolling. If he doesn't = 10 pushups. He then jogs the ball back to you to restart. Usually 10 throws by 3 sets is ready for the fighter to compete. This exercise creates explosion.
Thank you.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
on number 3 how far are you throwing the ball?
what no limbering up o any kind?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bear crawls and crab crawls are a great way to "juice up" the entire body. Not particularly fun in my opinion but can be great for warming up or as a major component of a workout.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember one drill one of my inst. had us do sometimes during warmups.

Begin with 2 jumping jacks, drop down for 2 pushups, stand back up, drop back down again for 2 crunches, stand back up and repeat.

This does not sound like much, and I was thinking that when he had us do the drill. However, after you do a few, you'll begin to notice that the hard part is coming back up to a standing position before dropping back down and then having to get up fully again.

Mike

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've noticed that before myself when my instructor had us alternating between several exercises like you describe. Even something as simple as"Stand in horse stance and punch a few times, now drop and do a few pushups....step forward and repeat". The constant swithing and getting up and down wears you out

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're primarily a grappling art so most of our drill choices are with that in mind. Bear crawls, crab walks, duck walks, army crawls, snakes, spin drills, and sprawl drills are usually all part of the warm up.

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My instructer has us attach 5 lbs ankle weights on our feet, and has stations. 1st station - 5 round kicks with right leg, 5 with left, repeat for 30 seconds. 2nd - butterfly kicks for 30 seconds. Then we Do high front kicks going back to the start. 3rd station - running in place for 30 seconds. 4th - 10 pushups then 10 situps, repeat for 30 seconds. We do 4 sets of those. then he'd have us spar without the weights...man like we felt like sparring afterward lol. Once he had us light spar with ankle weights, but he warned us not to extend, just to practice sparring motion.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At our school we feel that it is the students' responsibility to show up a little early to class a get "warmed up" on their own. We are not there to participate in a calisthnetics class. Kihon (basic punch/kick work) and ukemi (rolls/breakfalls) serve as an adequate warm up for me. If the right uke is present, we may throw each other a few times before class just to mentally prepare.

Respects,

Frank

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Laborn said:
I know but i've used them for years, they work as long as you understand how to use them:)

To each his own. My biggest concern in this instance would be more inexperienced practitioners throwing kicks with little control and hyperextending their knees because of the added weight.

:asian:

Laborn

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that's why my instructer wont let color belts use ankle weights, only black belts. And he tells us when we can use them..hence on bags, where your knee doesn't extend *NEVER on air, i did that ONCE and i felt it in my knee * :)

Latest Discussions