2 newbie questions

jbt33

White Belt
Reaction score
I have 2 schools near me:

1) William Cheung Style
2) Moy Yat Style

What are the differences, which should I take?

Also when the guys at the school put on gear and sparred it just look like kickboxing, so I ask were they not able to use trapping and techniques?

I ve been visiting various schools of different arts and all of them when they spar basically looks like kickboxing/mma..i.e....kicking and punching and grappling...no technique.

I am really interested in wing chun, I am 39, 5'6 140 lbs., this good art for me?

OP
J

jbt33

White Belt
Reaction score
Another question...is there ground work, joint locks and throws in wing chun?

PeaceWarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score

1) William Cheung Style
2) Moy Yat Style

Also when the guys at the school put on gear and sparred it just look like kickboxing, so I ask were they not able to use trapping and techniques?

I ve been visiting various schools of different arts and all of them when they spar basically looks like kickboxing/mma..i.e....kicking and punching and grappling...no technique.

I am really interested in wing chun, I am 39, 5'6 140 lbs., this good art for me?

The only good art for you is one that makes sense to you, that you feel in your gut is something you cant live without.
Most good schools dont introduce sparring until proper technique is drilled into your head, otherwise good technique goes out the window and you might as well just take a kickboxing class.

Plus if they are doing a lot of kicking and grappling and ignoring technique, that doesnt sound too much like traditional wing chun. My advice is to take what you can get, but look for a teacher who has many years of experience and whom you like as a person. To answer your question about Wing Chun and grappling: No. Traditional Wing Chun is very much a stand up fighting system, grappling is not really a part of the system, not to say it is or isnt necessary.
I think you should find a MA that appeals to you, where the teacher shows obvious skill, and more importantly, the students show obvious skill. Its better to get a good teacher in an art youve never heard of, than to get a poor education in wing chun even though its what you want. Good teachers are hard to come by these days.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

My advice is to talk to the instructors individually and ask the students of their experience.

In general a style will impose certain preferences, yet the local instructors and the students dictate the level of the training.

Also note that sparring isn't self defense... it's dueling, so it will look different... just not that much.

In sparring here we pull off good technique or keep at it until it happens. This is because the sparring training is broken down and taught in small peices to build good technique into the spontaneous responses and actions.

Wing Chun in general is a very good system of training. Yet the system is not all.

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado

tkdduck

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So did you decide if and which Wing Chun school to go to?

As with any martial art, I recommend that you set what your goals are for looking at a Martial Art and then see which school if either will be the one to help you attain your goal.

I am 39 5'10 and 215 lbs. I have been able to get alot from Wing Chun, the only hinderence so far has been my flexibility and that is coming more and more.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score

1) William Cheung Style
2) Moy Yat Style

you need to determine what you want to get out of ma and then reasearch styles that fit into that catagory and go and observe a class.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey jbt,

Its great to meet you.

First off I studied Moy Yat Ving Tsun so I would definately recommend it to other practitioners. But I also heard great things about Grandmaster Cheung. So as stated before you should try some trial lessons and see which expression you like better and suits you more.

I wish you good luck

take care,
Chang