14-year-old brown belt in karate rids herself of threat chop-chop

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean this stuff actually works????? :partyon: Wooohoooo!!!

Brittney Richardson didn't have to think about her next move when a stranger reached out to grab her last Friday. She'd been through the motions a hundred times before in karate class, but this was the first time she put them into action.
"Leave me alone," the 14-year-old yelled as the man's hand closed around her small wrist, pulling her toward him.
Instinctively, Brittney swung her right hand and landed a fist on his cheek.
"I heard him thump and (moan) 'Ugh,' " when he hit the ground, she said. "I think it was the fastest I'd ever run."
Complete story at http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4660313,00.html

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who needs the fancy over under double twisting wrist escape when a good hook does the trick...

heh.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Brave girl! Good thinking and reaction. Repetitions..doing the same thing over and over..builds memory.

Running away....very smart thinking. This is where "HIT and RUN" can be consider legal. .....Aloha

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
That little lady must have a hell of a right cross to make a man drop like that. Can I give people that aren't on the forum a +1, because that is just brilliant. It really is stories like this that make you feel good to be involved in martial arts.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Who needs the fancy over under double twisting wrist escape when a good hook does the trick...heh.

An excellent example of the "Don't get fancy" philosophy...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
That little lady must have a hell of a right cross to make a man drop like that. Can I give people that aren't on the forum a +1, because that is just brilliant. It really is stories like this that make you feel good to be involved in martial arts.

While my Niece and some other women I know can hit and hit hard with their shoulder or proper body technique behind it, I think this may been an issue of the person who attacked her.

A white man in his 30s with bleach-blond hair and "really perfect teeth" beckoned to her. As she got closer to him, he started walking beside her.

Bleach Blode Hair and Perfect Teeth paint a picture to me of the average good looking guy who is metrosexual but has never been hit in his life. He may be a predator to young ones as they usually do not fight back. I think she did well, and I think the best thing she did was to run away once she could.

But:
The incident occurred near dusk as Brittney was walking home from the grocery store. On the way to her house near West 92nd Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard, she cut through an apartment complex to shorten the walk.

I am not sure if the apartment complex was better lite or not, but usually shortcuts are not the best path for security. In particular if one is going out of site of the general population.

Like I said, I am glad she is well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drac said:
An excellent example of the "Don't get fancy" philosophy...

Agreed!! Short, simple and to the point!!

Mike

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very imspirational story. I think I'm gonna have to pin this on the wall of the dojang.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very good!! That's what we are taught too, if you must, hit quick and run like heck. Well that and be with a group if at all possible, and BigNick constitutes a group!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkd_jen said:
and BigNick constitutes a group!
It says in Nick's CP he's in Minnesota. Where in Minnesota?
Minnesota.
Yea, but where in particular? It's a big state.
Just Minnesota. He's a Big Nick! :wink2:

You're right tkd_jen. Having some else to watch is always a plus.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just last night my 12 year old daughter wanted to walk and meet friends at a park that was some distance from our home. Her Dad and I decided it was way out of our comfort zone and told her this. She had a hard time understanding why she couldn't go out, after all it would still be light out.

I showed her the article.

She stopped asking.

I like using tools like these to get my points across to my kids. Sometimes I know they think I am over protective and annoying but that is okay, at least I know they are safe. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to them.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great for her! First response is usually the best (so I've been told), and good thing she ran right away. It's nice hearing things like this- happy endings, I mean.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Sweeeeet!!! Too often its bad news. This kinda feels like a victory for all of us. :)
Well said. These tragedies averted can give us all a sense of JOINT victory. A traumatised but hopefully more confident young girl and extra impetus given to the argument that training a martial art, no matter what or how little, can be of unmeasurable benefit. A happy ending indeed. I love them!

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

KenpoBruce2006

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Good Deal. I hope his teeth aren't perfect anymore. Good Job and nice to see that. My juniors get to see this!!!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Well Done Brittney!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions