100 Years of Silent Service

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On The History Channel today I caught the last half of the show titled: 100 Years of Silent Service. This is a very good show about the history of our Submariners and the development of technology used in under water fighting/targeting/rescue/surveilance/etc, ...,

I recommend it to any one who is interested in history or the Navy. I have friends who have served in the Silent Service ;) from teh 70's and through the 90's. To hear some of the stories of the testing of new technology was very intersting from them. Of course they always waited until they saw it on the history channel or discover :D

With Respect to those that have and are defending our nation.
:asian:

C

Cliarlaoch

Cool, Rich. I probably will check it out as soon as I can sit down for more than a few minutes in front of a TV.

P

progressivetactics

there he goes....showing how he earned such high marks in the nerd test!!!

just kdding rich. I seen part of that back in August also...It was very cool!!!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Indeed such a brave and harrowing job to be a submariner when your lives depend so strongly upon your shipmates and you doing your job when it needs to be done.
I have both versions of the PC game Silent Hunter and it's an awesome game and terribly realistic... particularly the second version. Should try it out sometime.
First version is based on WWII U.S. submariners in the Pacific campaign against the Japanese Navy.
The second version is German U-boats in the Atlantic against the Brits and Allies. That is about as real as it gets.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Pops has some very interesting stories about chasing Soviet subs when he was in the Navy on a destroyer.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by OULobo
My Pops has some very interesting stories about chasing Soviet subs when he was in the Navy on a destroyer.

Yep I like the stories, they are interesting ;)

S

Spud

I can neither confirm nor deny that such things took place.

Favorite line that my submariner buddy always throws out. Even after it's on Discovery or in a Tom Clancy book.

He takes his secrecy seriously....

Latest Discussions