10 class management skills.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought I would share this. On another thread we have been speaking about instructor skills and how to teach them........this is what I have been taught, and what I teach. I usualy fallow student instructors around with a checklist, and check off the skills as they go. I hope this will help some of you, as it has me.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29609

The ten class management skills:

1. Set mood and tone of class - you are in charge the students will fallow your lead.

2. Create positive climate - old school scream at the students does not work anymore. People shut down, people quit.

3. Personal approach/individual contact - make the student feel as if you are talking directly to him/her, even a controled pat on the back is motivation.

4. Set direct goals - In this class this is what we want to achieve

5. Give thoughtfull feedback to student responce - keyword "thoughtfull" (empathy)

6. Reinforce positive behavior - Positive reinforcement

7. Give realistic praise - Both kids and adults see thru false praise, but that's not enough. Praise must be specific for educational bennefits (ex. Your foot position is good!)

8. Give positive correction rather than criticism - (I think your chamber position is great, if you pivit your foot a bit more you will get more power.)

9. Refer to students by name - Very personal, shows interest in that person.

10. Teach concept of personal victory - "Who conquers the is great but who conquers oneself is mighty" and "Never mind what others do; do better than yourself. Beat your own record from day to day and you are a success.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Really great post! I wish more leaders of classes would spend the time to be good instructors.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truly an excellent post Fluffy!

Something every instructor should aspire to and every student as well. It is important that the students of the school that have practiced with you follow suit and offer their help with new students as well. A friendly, comfortable environment not only sets a good tone, but keeps your students with you. :) Congrats on your success.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fluufy I enjoyed the post, but and you knew that was coming anyhow I'm a ex high school Basketball coach for 11 years and well let just say the voice carrys alot for me. i do not nesacearlly yeal but sometime it sounds that way. Anyhow I enjoyed the thread very well thought out and keep up the great work, oh yea that is a pat on the back.
icon10.gif

Terry

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks all. I only hope to pass on what's been taught to me. And is there a better place to do it than on a forum like this..........I don't think so. :)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted the list. It will serve as a good reminder for those who teach. Thank you.

- Ceicei

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent list! It's important to push students to improve themselves, but they've got to have fun doing it and know that their effort isn't going unnoticed.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting all these Master Fluffy.

Personal contact, addressing with personal name, saying something positive about the student, responding positively to their question, giving praise is really important to retaining the student.

Also taking into account each persons physical problems if they are known. ie I have bad knees yet we get jumping workouts all the time.

While some classes can be worked to the average student there, if it is practically all white-orange belts, the two high rank lose out some. I think breaking into groups with different objectives is better usually.

It shouldn't be an issue as the above should cover it, but also the instructor should respond in the same manner to a woman as to a man. Equal importance to ideas or questions in other words. Yeah, that happens in my school.

I also liked the one about announcing the focus or objective of that particular class or group of classes. Students like to realize what they should focus on and what they are particularly learning in that class as it pertains to their training and long term goals.

I also thought a personal goal sheet, which the instructor devises with the student so that they know what they should work on. Like if they are at 50 split (Hindu) pushups now, they should be doing different position pushups, or more- push it to 75, or as I did even an extra weight workout to get further. Too many student just stayed at 50 split pushups, then shock, they had to do 25 regular ones at their test. Instructor doesn't keep track so the student should.

Another problem I have in women's class, is when one student decides to just talk on and on, and I have to be empathetic but quickly lead them back to the task at hand. Or else there is a lot of down time while they chit chat. I guess that goes under your #1.

I also tell them that every black belt has been there in your position, that each one of us has a separate journey to overcome our weaknesses, earn our personal victories and become the best that we can be. So I talk about my difficulties ;) as a white belt and my children (a little) as they went through TKD. Then they relate more to me as a person as well. I noticed this is a phenomena with women. Once they have loyalty with the instructor, they will attend classes more.
TW

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love the idea of a personal goal sheet, a great way to teach goal setting! It's up to the instructor to lead, if the instructor is chatty, the entire group will fallow. If the instructor looks bored, the group will lack energy. If the instructor is mad, the students will not want to be there..........you're correct it all starts out with skill #1.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Anyone can become a teacher? Not everyone will become a good one!

Life is a learning process and so is teaching.

One more thing as the leader of your class or school...you will also become a role model, and everything you do in class or at home will be noted.......be a great role model always.......Aloha

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the reason why I come here (even though Bullshido is hilarious...) for great posts like this. Amazing things that everyone should know if they are teaching/instructing, but it puts things into perspective. I'm going to bring this list to my assistant instructor and see if he can relate. ;)

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dalum said:
This is the reason why I come here (even though Bullshido is hilarious...) for great posts like this. Amazing things that everyone should know if they are teaching/instructing, but it puts things into perspective. I'm going to bring this list to my assistant instructor and see if he can relate. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

~Fluff

J

jbclinic

i agree with all. the world is the greatest teacher and a skill that can't be mastered, but changes with all our efforts

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great post Fluffy. It's this kind of content that makes MT such a great board. Thanks for sharing.

Latest Discussions