When I Say, "The Way I See It"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do that pretty often, but I don’t think anyone actually reads the studies.
I always read the studies. It helps to know what information is being used. It also changes the discussion from "person vs person" to talking about the data which is often more productive.

marvin8

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it necessary to always use "I" or "you" in your post?

When you say:

Because leg is longer than the arm,

1. if I punch you, you can kick me.
2. if you punch your opponent, your opponent can kick you.
3. if A punches B, B can kick A

- 1. uses I.
- 2. uses you (general YOU).
- 3. doesn't use I or you.
Your 3 if/then statements are claiming B is true. However, there are conditions where B is false. B cannot counter you if B is out of position. For example, if I lure you into a position where you are double weighted (cannot change) then punch you, you cannot kick me.

That is an important concept in self-defense and is the difference between "dead" and "aliveness" drills.

When you use "I", people may think you are self-center. When you use "you", people may think you try to force your opinion on others. IMO, 3 is the best way to say.
If one enters a discussion arguing the person (informal fallacy) rather than their message, then their argument is invalid and less productive.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If one enters a discussion arguing the person (informal fallacy) rather than their message, then their argument is invalid and less productive.
I agree with you 100% there.

If a thread starts as:

- I believe self-defense should include to protect your loved one. What's your opinion on this?

When someone starts to ask:

- Who is your teacher?
- How long have you trained?

the discussion has gone into the wrong direction.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
When I say the words, "The way I see it," in posts that I make what Im saying is that it's just my opinion, not that I'm stating it as fact. Im just making an educated guess, or stating my position.
Thank you capitan obvious

But you also need to understand people may also question your opinion and have the right to do so

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
people may also question your opinion and have the right to do so
If I start a thread and people ask my opinion, I may tell them that the purpose of the thread is to collect different opinions from others. My opinion is not important.

I may also say since I don't belong to the mainstream, most of the time, people won't agree with me (for example, I believe self-defense should include to protect your loved one, so you can't always run away).

There is a good reason for this. You don't want to start a thread so you can argue with everybody.

A: What's your opinion on ...
B: My opinion is ...
A: You are wrong, ...
B: @#$%^&
A: &^%$#@

The opposite could be even funnier.

A: I believe ...
B: My opinion is ...
A: This is I lecture, and you listen thread. Your opinion is not important here.
B: @#$%^&
A: &^%$#@

Last edited:

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say the words, "The way I see it," in posts that I make what Im saying is that it's just my opinion, not that I'm stating it as fact. Im just making an educated guess, or stating my position.
Just curious. What are your thoughts after reading the posts?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you capitan obvious
It's not obvious to everybody on this forum, based on some of the responses.
But you also need to understand people may also question your opinion and have the right to do so
Sure, opinions are meant to be questioned, and I sometimes like it when my positions are challenged, but the problem is when some people think Im trying to state fact. Not all posters on this forum but some posters seem to think Im trying to state fact when Im just stating my opinion.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's not obvious to everybody on this forum, based on some of the responses.

Sure, opinions are meant to be questioned, and I sometimes like it when my positions are challenged, but the problem is when some people think Im trying to state fact. Not all posters on this forum but some posters seem to think Im trying to state fact when Im just stating my opinion.
Then just tell them it is only your opinion. They want to keep arguing the point it is on them. You want to keep arguing it then it is on you and looks suspiciously like you are stating what you believe to be facts,

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
some posters seem to think Im trying to state fact when Im just stating my opinion.
If you (general YOU) are afraid to say whatever you believe deep inside of your heart than why do you even want to spend time in online discussion?

When you are honest to express your opinion, you may make some friends. You may also make some enemies. When you open your window, both butterfly and mosquito will fly in. If you don't have enemy, you are nobody.

It's perfect OK to have people who disagree with you.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you have to say this after a decade of being here, then you know those words are falling on blind eyes. Whatever you're trying to stop from happening by using that disclaimer, there are some bloodthirsty sharks here that this won't work on.

Just last week, I made a statement where I put a particular word in quotation marks to keep the bloodthirsty sharks away, but one ignored it and still showed up anyway. And I had to remind him twice that the word was in quotations.
Sounds like trolls to me, which might be against the rules of MT.

Latest Discussions