zombie apocolypse

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just cannot accept the whole, "I get unlimited ammo" position. Sorry, ammo runs out, stocks run dry, manufacturing ends, and eventually it is unavailable or rare and you need to conserve. This is the zombie apocalypse, after all. Ammo is heavy and if you end up on foot then there is only so much you can carry, and it affects your ability to move, run, hide, and fight.

A gun is a reasonable tool to bring along, but it should be considered for emergency situations. It is noisy and attracts more zombies, and not everyone will have a suppressor. Once the ammo runs out, your rifle is a heavy and poorly designed club, and your sidearm is a poorly shaped throwing implement. If there are no reasonable expectations of finding more, it's time to ditch them.

Most people lack the skill needed to be effective with a bow, especially with Zed where a head shot is all that matters and a body shot doesn't count. However, a bow could be handy for hunting and for fighting off the desperate living.

A slingshot might be a good idea. It's very lightweight and compact, and ammo is potentially everywhere, and a head shot could penetrate the skull and put down Zed. It's also quiet.

Sword is a good choice, but can require some open space and so isn't good in all situations.

Staff is good as long as there is room to operate, good for crushing Zed skulls.

Tomahawk, kukhri, hammer, long dagger, etc. are good options for tighter quarters.

But how much of this do you carry on your person at the same time is important to consider. If you weigh yourself down with gear then you cannot function.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My 4 weapons-
Colt 45, Officers model, Glaser safety slugs
Machete
Any two Pauly Shore movies (They'll keep away anything)

My old Jeep

Hideout - Kapalaoa cabin, Haleakala crater, Maui

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 4 weapons-
Machete

My old Jeep

The cabin is already under my control. You'll never get in, tho I might allow you to pitch a tent on the slope...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Drat. Okay, I'll go to the Holua Cabin instead.

addkyq.jpg

Too many trees by the Palikū cabin for Zombie ambushes.
And we'll cut down them Zombie bastards by the Kapau Gap. It will be a regular Zombie shoot.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Drat. Okay, I'll go to the Holua Cabin instead.

addkyq.jpg

Too many trees by the Palikū cabin for Zombie ambushes.
And we'll cut down them Zombie bastards by the Kapau Gap. It will be a regular Zombie shoot.
The high altitude might make it difficult to run, when necessary...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The high altitude might make it difficult to run, when necessary...

Take Gurkhas with you.
The first thing I'd do is go find the Gurkhas ( two minutes up the road for me lol), you'd be safe with them.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"The high altitude might make it difficult to run, when necessary..."

If it's them fast running zombies, like from World War Z, I'm probably screwed anyway, so you can use me for a diversion.
But if it's your standard, run of the mill zombie, I like our chances. Nothing like a good, crater Zombie shoot, a Grey Goose Bloody Mary, bacon and eggs and the smell of gunpowder to start your day. ;)

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just cannot accept the whole, "I get unlimited ammo" position. Sorry, ammo runs out, stocks run dry, manufacturing ends, and eventually it is unavailable or rare and you need to conserve. This is the zombie apocalypse, after all. Ammo is heavy and if you end up on foot then there is only so much you can carry, and it affects your ability to move, run, hide, and fight.

A gun is a reasonable tool to bring along, but it should be considered for emergency situations. It is noisy and attracts more zombies, and not everyone will have a suppressor. Once the ammo runs out, your rifle is a heavy and poorly designed club, and your sidearm is a poorly shaped throwing implement. If there are no reasonable expectations of finding more, it's time to ditch them.

Most people lack the skill needed to be effective with a bow, especially with Zed where a head shot is all that matters and a body shot doesn't count. However, a bow could be handy for hunting and for fighting off the desperate living.

A slingshot might be a good idea. It's very lightweight and compact, and ammo is potentially everywhere, and a head shot could penetrate the skull and put down Zed. It's also quiet.

Sword is a good choice, but can require some open space and so isn't good in all situations.

Staff is good as long as there is room to operate, good for crushing Zed skulls.

Tomahawk, kukhri, hammer, long dagger, etc. are good options for tighter quarters.

But how much of this do you carry on your person at the same time is important to consider. If you weigh yourself down with gear then you cannot function.
a sling shot really lol

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a sling shot really lol
Yup, go to a sporting goods store and get a good wrist rocket for about $15-$30, and fire a steel marble into a tree trunk and see how it is. I bet it hits a lot harder than you realize. Not sure about accurate range, mebbe 30-40 yards, more if you practice.

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yup, go to a sporting goods store and get a good wrist rocket for about $15-$30, and fire a steel marble into a tree trunk and see how it is. I bet it hits a lot harder than you realize. Not sure about accurate range, mebbe 30-40 yards, more if you practice.
ok ill def have to look into that

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok ill def have to look into that
I've seen them at Dicks sporting goods, they come with a package of steel pellets, I'm sure they are at least powerful enough to take small game. You can get bigger steel pellets, might even take down something bigger than that. Headshot on Zed, yeah that'll do it. And small game hunting for sustenance in the meantime while living off the land. And when the pellets run out, rocks are everywhere. Not as good, but plentiful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can go to a toy store and stock up on glass marbles too. I bet you could fire an arrow out of it, or for small game maybe a cluster of a dozen copper BBs. All kinds of things if you get creative.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stock up on glass marbles too

While you are buying the marbles buy some extra to put in a shallow dish, fill with water just so the marbles tops are dry and put out as water for the bees, they need all the help they can get. They sit on the marbles as they get the water. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While you are buying the marbles buy some extra to put in a shallow dish, fill with water just so the marbles tops are dry and put out as water for the bees, they need all the help they can get. They sit on the marbles as they get the water. :)
Will do!!! Nothing like the zombie apocalypse to bring out our compassion.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

When I was in high school I was really good with a wrist rocket, like pick a leaf off of a tree good (ok admittedly those were big leaf maples, but still). I was that accurate to about 40 yards max.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Weapons?
Basic randall bowie knife, pinute (short Filipino sword), takedown recurve bow, suppressed .45 Glock.

Vehicle? Probably steal one of the diesel Chevy's from my work. :D

Bugout location? This isn't real, but it should be:
7ad4976f222940099533947d0e8ee243.jpg

Maybe have it a bit farther out into the ocean.

OP
sgraves

sgraves

Green Belt
Reaction score
Weapons?
Basic randall bowie knife, pinute (short Filipino sword), takedown recurve bow, suppressed .45 Glock.

Vehicle? Probably steal one of the diesel Chevy's from my work. :D

Bugout location? This isn't real, but it should be:
7ad4976f222940099533947d0e8ee243.jpg

Maybe have it a bit farther out into the ocean.
that location is great lol

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 4 weapons-
Machete

My old Jeep

Good thinking, bringing the beer...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find this earlier, but if I had my buddies with me and we needed some more space.
taung1.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good thinking, bringing the beer...

Without question, my brother. I only drink Rolling Rock, what shall I have waiting for you at the cabin? Chilled, of course.

Them poor zombies. F em!

Latest Discussions