Zhan Zhuang exercises - Wang Xiangzhai

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Zhan Zhuang exercises

Written by Wang Xiangzhai in late 1950s or early 1960s
Translated from Chinese by Andrzej Kalisz in 2004

Zhan zhuang is a kind of ancient Chinese art of cultivating health. Already over 2000 years ago in “Yellow Emperor Internal Classic” it was said: “"In ancient times great masters stood on earth, supporting heaven, controlling yin and yang, breathing with essence of qi, standing alone, guarding spirit, with body being a one. This way they achieved longevity".

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"Mouth is slightly open, breath is natural. Practitioner doesn’t focus on specific acupoints, there is no talk of heavenly orbits. Thanks to this there are no side effects." We practice this way, so whatever happens, happens naturally. If you're talking qi flow, it goes where it wants ... naturally.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is an e-book available called "Zhan Zhuang and the Search of Wu" by Yu Yong Nian who was a student of Wang Xiang Zhai. It is available from China Martial Arts Ltd. and is probably the current definitive book on Zhan Zhuang. I had the fortune to work with Yu Yong Nian when he was brought to London by my teacher, Lam Kam Chuen.

Best wishes

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, East Winds -- I like Lam Kam Chuen's Chi Kung books as an introduction to the Westerner. I'll check out Mr. Yu's book.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is a poem by Wang Xiang Zhai that describes Zhan Zhuang in a nutshell.

Internally alert, open, calm
Outwardly upright, extended, filled with spirit,
This is the foundation of stillness.
Add the hard and the soft, the powerful and the relaxed,
Motion and stillness, contraction and extension,
In the instant these converge, there is power.

Very best wishes