Zero tolerance on candy???

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
erh? Is it just me or are schools walking into territory that they should be avoiding....I mean it is one thing to stop selling junk food in vending machines or even to confiscate candy that is being sold, but another to suspend a kid of buying a bag of skittles....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/12/skittles.suspension.ap/index.html

NEW HAVEN, Connecticut (AP) -- Contraband candy has led to big trouble for an eighth-grade honors student in Connecticut.
Michael Sheridan was stripped of his title as class vice president, barred from attending an honors student dinner and suspended for a day after buying a bag of Skittles from a classmate.
School spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo says the New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy.
Michael's suspension has been reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.
He says he didn't realize his candy purchase was against the rules -- although he did notice the student selling the Skittles on February 26 was being secretive

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This "War on Drugs" has gotten really out of hand :s

Next thing you know M&M's will be declared a gateway drug.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:bs:This is so stupid. My god, when are school administrators going to get an ounce of common sense?!?? I'm so glad I graduated before all of this stupid really got rolling.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
haha, that's funny.

It will also be funny in the future when people get a letter from their health insurance provider informing them that their rates are being increased because of the food choices thay have made. You know, the databases that are kept now because of "loyalty cards".

Oh, this country is going to turn so sour. Now where are my skittles?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now where are my skittles?

**** the skittles, where's the vodka...

Seriously, I swear, schools are turning into the leading edge of the draconian control measures that are surely sweeping our way. If the kiddies are trained young to accept it, they'll never know the difference when they get out.

Meanwhile, they'll point and laugh at funny old (31) people like me who still scream and hollar about things like rights?

Piffle. What are those? Pass the soma.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question is, if this happened to the kid who was buying the Skittles, what happened to the kid who sold them?

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Please pass the Makers mark...

No, really, I need some help with this. I have to drink away most of my brain cells to think at the same level as these ****ers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Skittles!?!? skittles??? SKITTLES!!!

So ummm did the principal puts down his/her cigarette to suspend the kid for the unhealthy SKITTLES infraction

I'm sorry but this is getting a bit to silly for me

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If they're worried that candy may imitate drugs, they could test it. To entirely ban genuine candy is going too far... Is it the transaction itself (exhange of money for something) that is the problem and would just sharing be better? Will they ban children from bringing other edible things from home in their own lunch boxes/bags?

Sigh... I wish that school officials would just take a step back to actually think and use their gray matter intelligently... evaluate on a case by case situation and to determine whether there is truly a danger.

- Ceicei

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My question is, if this happened to the kid who was buying the Skittles, what happened to the kid who sold them?
He used his trench coat to conceal himself and melted quietly back into the shadows.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

He was declared an enemy combatant in the war on candy, the struggle against capitalism, but the biggie that will send him away for a while will probably be the tax evasion.

:rolleyes:

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
so is it bad that i dont want kids for like 7 years, then it will be like 5 years before they are in school and i have already decided that they will be home schooled, mostly because of crap like this.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so is it bad that i dont want kids for like 7 years, then it will be like 5 years before they are in school and i have already decided that they will be home schooled, mostly because of crap like this.
Don't get your hopes up on the home schooling thing... or at least don't try to do it in the Peoples Republic of California.

While our children may well be being taught to take the sort of overwhelming control displayed in this article at school what are they seeing at home? Gripe and complain all you want on the net. For any school to actually get the idea that this crap is wrong is going to take enough parents getting off their butts and actually doing something besides whining. Dig a little further back in this case and see how hard the parents in that community fought against a "zero tolerance" (I despise those policies, BTW) on candy. That entire school board needs a good :btg:.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The school finally came to their senses. They dropped the suspension and restored the school council position back to the student. It also mentioned the penalty against the classmate (the one who sold the candy) would be dropped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23618831/

- Ceicei