Zero Tolerance gone awry....?

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It sounds to me like he was going to have trouble in the work place already. LOL I bet you dollars to donuts the charges against him were not about the shirt. They aren't stupid. :)

Well the charges against him are obstruction and disrupting the educational process. So it seems to me that no charges of violence or anything he should be arrested for are present. I stand firm that a suspension would be within the bounds of logic. Arresting him however is not. Unless more information is made available, he was in many peoples' eyes wrongfully arrested.

As far as him having problems in the workplace... Well that is a lot of assumption on your part. I was, and still am, very outspoken. I argued with teachers about various things and was generally proven right. When I was wrong I admitted so. I was a good student, and rarely got into trouble despite my opinionated and outspoken nature. Judging from the fact the article points out an unblemished record, I would assume the same goes for him, unless more relevant info becomes available.
Funny that I, and many others like me, have no issue in the workplace.

I would like to point out that, as the article states, he was not in violation of dress code. Therefore he was breaking no rules. And an arrest for this is overkill on a massive scale.

So once again. Disagree if you want. That's your right, apparently unless the powers that be decide that you don't have that right either.

Edit: Also note that this is just the latest in a long line of stupid decisions. Students suspended for a killer pop tart that apparently looks like a gun. Which in my opinion looks nothing like a gun. Or the kids suspended after disarming another student on the bus after he pulled a loaded gun and made threats.
This country has gone completely off the rails insane. And it's getting worse, not better.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree he may be an antagonist, but think the arrest might go too far. Does that sort of thing go on someones permanent record?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes. How visible it will be after he turns 18 will depend on how his particular state -=handles juvenile arrests and convictions if they occur. Because the military, some colleges, and some financial aid organizations also inquire about a student's criminal history, this may have an impact on what he chooses to move on to after high school -- esp. if he is convicted (including a plea bargain).

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like he was going to have trouble in the work place already. LOL I bet you dollars to donuts the charges against him were not about the shirt. They aren't stupid. :)

I agree, there looks to be a gap in the article...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, probable end result is settlement, costing the tax payers a ew hundred thousand bucks because some pinhead powertripped and some cop decided to exert his 'awthawaty' and put a punk kid in his place by working up a disrespect of cop charge.
Got it.

And people wonder why kids are more and more likely to hold cops, teachers and whatnot in contempt these days.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, probable end result is settlement, costing the tax payers a ew hundred thousand bucks because some pinhead powertripped and some cop decided to exert his 'awthawaty' and put a punk kid in his place by working up a disrespect of cop charge.
Got it.

And people wonder why kids are more and more likely to hold cops, teachers and whatnot in contempt these days.

Exactly. If the teacher and other faculty claimed the shirt to be in bad taste following recent events and forced him to change shirts or sent him home for the day after arguing and also sent a note home to notify parents and students of a rule change to include depictions of guns as unacceptable on clothing... Well we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But it was handled wrong. The kid should never have been arrested in the first place. Suspension is MORE than enough punishment. But for some reason kids now are being arrested for things that they shouldn't be.
We seem to be rapidly becoming more of a police state. And people wonder why many are feeling more and more helpless and psychos are acting on these feelings.

It's all tied together, and nobody wants to recognize that the reactions are just making the problems worse.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, if only we'd all realize guns are evil and turn them in, then the world would be peace and lolipops, and anyone not happy can goto "happiness camp".

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Got it.

It is in the nature of adolescents to test and rebel. It used to be that school was a gateway to allowing students to test their ideas against those of others through debate and discussion. Now it seems that normal limit testing and debate about ideas are curtailed as "not in the interest of the general welfare". A nice euphamism for censorship. And this young man gets his first amendment rights violated as well as others possibly. How many other venues do young people have to test their ideas against the backdrop of reasoned debate with mature adults moderating and guiding the discussion. So you create one more dissafected young person who feels dissenfranchised and demonstrate to his peers that their stake in adult society is of no importance. And we wonder why some, less stable individuals, opt to act out in extreme and violent ways. A great solution. Let our young people step off the cliff into the larger adult society with no guidence and then blame them when they don't have the skills to cope. Because they sure won't learn them on the internet, or playing violent video games.

OP
K

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
What if it was a shirt that anti-Zionist and even pro-Islam? Would you want that for the other children? The three R's didn't used to include a rifle.
Sean
Leaving the rifle out of it, you gave me a great example..... An anti-Zionist shirt is one I'd have issue with because it disparages someone's religion. However, it if were not against school policy, for me, the scenario is no different. As would be a Pro-Islam shirt. Islam, Christianity, (insert religion here), are not usually bad, in and of themselves. It is radicals in any affiliation that damage their religions tenet and preachings. I would not be bothered by a Pro-Islam, Pro-Buddhist, Pro-Catholic, Pro-Atheist, Pro-Wicca, Pro-FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster), etc., and if it doesn't violate school policy, enough said.

Bob and several other have mentioned that the student was not in violation of school policy. Since the shirt was not in violation of school policy, some teacher's "Cartman Complex" is going to cost the taxpayers. I've still been unable to find any response from the school district about the situation. Their position likely won't be very defensible. Last I knew, "Respect, My, Authoritah!", didn't trump the constitution.

As Bob said, "Rights unused are forfeit." I use my rights at every opportunity. This kid was too. More power to him and his dad.

The student, was NOT in violation of school policy. Someone doesn't like it, they need to take steps to change said policy.

OP
K

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't think Kurai was in support of the schools actions. Think he thought it was madness like the rest of us.

I most definitely think it to be madness.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's also worth mentioning that apparently he had gone through several class periods without incident before it became an issue, at least that is what was reported. So I am curious how he actually disrupted anything with this shirt.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, if only we'd all realize guns are evil and turn them in, then the world would be peace and lolipops, and anyone not happy can goto "happiness camp".

Finally, you have come over to the dark side.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's also worth mentioning that apparently he had gone through several class periods without incident before it became an issue, at least that is what was reported. So I am curious how he actually disrupted anything with this shirt.

He gave a teacher the vapors....OMG, a gun on the shirt, likely to go off anytime.

That crap in schools has really crossed over into the ridiculous a long time ago.

Girls sharing Midol (and if you ever had a period, you know what a blessing that can be!), the little girl telling the teacher that she accidentally took mom's lunch pail, with the steak knife, naturally the kids with the hair cuts....

But the super short cheerleader skirts are not a problem... :duh:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leaving the rifle out of it, you gave me a great example..... An anti-Zionist shirt is one I'd have issue with because it disparages someone's religion. However, it if were not against school policy, for me, the scenario is no different. As would be a Pro-Islam shirt. Islam, Christianity, (insert religion here), are not usually bad, in and of themselves. It is radicals in any affiliation that damage their religions tenet and preachings. I would not be bothered by a Pro-Islam, Pro-Buddhist, Pro-Catholic, Pro-Atheist, Pro-Wicca, Pro-FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monster), etc., and if it doesn't violate school policy, enough said.

Bob and several other have mentioned that the student was not in violation of school policy. Since the shirt was not in violation of school policy, some teacher's "Cartman Complex" is going to cost the taxpayers. I've still been unable to find any response from the school district about the situation. Their position likely won't be very defensible. Last I knew, "Respect, My, Authoritah!", didn't trump the constitution.

As Bob said, "Rights unused are forfeit." I use my rights at every opportunity. This kid was too. More power to him and his dad.

The student, was NOT in violation of school policy. Someone doesn't like it, they need to take steps to change said policy.
Being that there are Jewish anti-Zionists I don't see this as dis on a religion. It's a claim to land. :)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
420620_507506385975774_2013759749_n.jpg

Latest Discussions