Zen Do Kai - Is it still out there?????

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of Zen Do Kai? I used to do it when I was a kid. I cant remember whether it was an off shoot off anything else. Just wondering if it was still around.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Raisin said:
Has anyone heard of Zen Do Kai? I used to do it when I was a kid. I cant remember whether it was an off shoot off anything else. Just wondering if it was still around.
Raewyn, this is what I found:

Zen Do Kai

Founded in 1970 by Bob Jones (BJC), a freestyle Martial Art based on Okinawa Karate - a traditional system which is continuely adapting and incorporating the best from other Martial Arts such as BJJ, TKD, Karate, Shoot Wrestling, Grapling and Muay Thai.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can always count on you to find something for me lol!!

D

Dr. Flem

Raisin, did you enjoy it? The founder was previously training in Goju Kai before he went onto Zen Do Kai. I'm just curious because I've found a club quite near here and I was hoping to check it out. Could you tell me a bit about it? What it focuses on etc.

OP
Raewyn

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im sorry, I was only 13 years old when I first started and did not stick at it for very long, so I honestly cant remember what the focuses were!!!

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It’s not something I would recommend, but it was popular. Prior to starting Zen Do Kai, Bob Jones studied Tae Kwon Do with a Brown belt, then Goju Kai for two years. That’s not much experience to go out and start your own style. From what I’ve seen it lacks the depth that other arts can offer.

D

Dr. Flem

Bob Jones has a school just 10 minutes from here. Not sure if I want to try it out really. From what I've heard, it's still growing art. I'd prefer a complete system if any. Shotokan, for example. That's my first stop.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dr. Flem said:
Bob Jones has a school just 10 minutes from here. Not sure if I want to try it out really. From what I've heard, it's still growing art. I'd prefer a complete system if any. Shotokan, for example. That's my first stop.
I don't even know if you would call it growing. It has been around for quite a while, late 70's early 80's. What it does do is change its self to meet market demands. The trouble is that it has no base experiance or knowledge to work from.

auzziegreg59

White Belt
Reaction score
Mr Jones was one of the early pioneers of martial arts in Australia and is a Living Legend in the martial arts circles.Mr Jones commands an army of over 1000 ,skilled and hard training Black Belts. The B J C is revered as an Australian success story and has created many World Championship fighters. Zen Do Kai has a policy of not advertising and goes on its way doing as it wants not bothering people which I see as a positive thing.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
auzziegreg59 said:
Mr Jones was one of the early pioneers of martial arts in Australia and is a Living Legend in the martial arts circles.Mr Jones commands an army of over 1000 ,skilled and hard training Black Belts. The B J C is revered as an Australian success story and has created many World Championship fighters. Zen Do Kai has a policy of not advertising and goes on its way doing as it wants not bothering people which I see as a positive thing.
To be a pioneer in something you need to have at least done it, he had barely touched the surface of martial arts when he started Zen Do Kai. He is a living legend in his own mind and maybe those that follow him. It is true that they don’t seem to advertise anymore; they used to be in every martial arts magazine you picked up. I certainly give him credit for his business achievements; he has created a large organisation by Australian standards.

While I don’t have a problem with people practicing Zen Do Kai, if they enjoy it great. I just wouldn’t recommend it because I think there are much better things to study that can offer much more. Another area of concern is that they appear not to belong to the MAIA (Martial Arts Industry Body), I could be wrong but I could find no trace of them.

I’m happy for them to go on with their own business, but when someone mentions them and asks for feedback I will tell them what I honestly feel. I have been involved with martial arts for some time in Australia. The last sixteen years with a Japanese style. I know the depth of knowledge that is available to someone who trains for some time in them, and understand how little knowledge would have been gained in just a couple of years with Goju Kai.

Latest Discussions