Zen and the art of mounted archery

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just thought this was interesting and wanted to pass it along - I'm not an archer nor a horseman, just thought it was cool.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091207/NEWS0107/912070301/-1/RSSNEWSMAP

Zen and the art of mounted archery

Bend’s Katie Stearns is a rising star in a unique sport that has started to re-emerge in recent years

By Anne Aurand / For The Bulletin
Published: December 07. 2009 4:00AM PST
Katie Stearns, with one of her horses, Jebe, has been competing in mounted archery events all over the world for the past several years.
more photos more photos | order photo

Katie Stearns, with one of her horses, Jebe, has been competing in mounted archery events all over the world for the past several years.
Pete Erickson / The Bulletin
advertisement:

Long ago, mounted archery — shooting with bows and arrows from the back of a horse — helped native tribes conquer enemies and hunt for food. It allowed cultures around Asia, the American grasslands and elsewhere to thrive.

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
That...is...so...cool. I want to try that!!! I can ride, and I can shoot, but I don't know if I could do both at the same time!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool article, Bill. I like these efforts to restore arts.

That...is...so...cool. I want to try that!!! I can ride, and I can shoot, but I don't know if I could do both at the same time!

JiC,

It was all fun and games until somebody lost an eye.