Zachary last fight at the AAU qualifier

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah OK. I didn't have the audio up. He just didn't seem particularly fussed or interested in dealing with the fallen competitor...

I agree, but I know he was seen about and I am glad he was OK, even though we like to win we really do not want to hurt anybody.

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I especially liked how your son walked right past his opponent without even considering finding out how he was. Shows that he is a true warrior. You must be very proud.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well TKDFather we are told when a player is down to leave him alone until after the medics have seen them, the head referee told him to go shake the competitors coaches hand which he did. After that he stayed on the side of the official which you could not see because the camera was off until the medic said the competitor got up on his own and they shook hands.

I do not know what type of tournaments you do but all competitors are told to stay back after a knockout until the medics have seen the competitor. This is what has been since the time of competing, everyone that knows my son has nothing but positive things to say because he is a class act.

Just because you have nothing positive to say, you need or feel the need to say saomething negative about a child good job. I hope you feel alot better now since you try to make others feel bad when you do not know the circumstances and what he was told. The other player is from a school we respect and have alot of fun with they are OK with what happen and that is what is important to me.

Sour grapes, that is all I can say.......

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I especially liked how your son walked right past his opponent without even considering finding out how he was. Shows that he is a true warrior. You must be very proud.

trying to be a wise *** is not being polite in the TKD way....

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

I watched the video again and I think your comment above is out of line. I agree with terry's comments that everyone is supposed stay clear from the injured competitor, including his own coach, which is what the coach did in this situation.

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the tournaments my son has entered, if a participant is hurt the other is instructed to return to his side of the mat and kneel facing away from the center until the referee instructs them otherwise.

A contestant can show concern without hovering over, or even approaching a hurt opponent. Walking past without even looking at them is poor sportsmanship.

Our competitions must be friendlier then yours. All that's missing from that video is a Cobra Kai badge on your son's uniform and your camera man yelling "get a body bag".

*Edit: And just to make this clear, the above postings are my opinion based on the video provided.

Last edited:

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Zack did look at his competitor when the referee was counting.

Actually, to me it looks like he's maintaining a fighting stance against an opponent who is on the ground. I'll have to take another look.

*Edit: Yep, at the 1:05 mark he definitely takes a fighting stance against an opponent on the ground.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will add this Zachary spent twenty minutes with him after he was allowed up making sure he was OK, since he does trin with some of these kids they are friends on and off the matt. He did as he was instructed to do. Also remember you do not like me so this is your way of saying something negative toward me and my family. Go a head and say how unsportmanship he is but he is also a qualified referee in both the USAT and AAU and has been commended that he is always professional at all level. Have your point of view and may GOD help you in your way of thinking.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually, to me it looks like he's maintaining a fighting stance against an opponent who is on the ground. I'll have to take another look.

*Edit: Yep, at the 1:05 mark he definitely takes a fighting stance against an opponent on the ground.

I did not see it your way(TKD Father)....yes, he started to take a stance but when he realized that his opponent was not going to stand up Zach relaxed. If you look @ the competitors coach he did not leave his chair during the video....His coach did not seem overly concerned....It is great that the kid was not hurt...It is easy to Monday morning quarterback Zach's reaction...I don't think Zach felt that he hit him that hard and was surprised the kid did no get up!!!!

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
All of my posting to this point are based on information provided.

You have NOW provided more information in response to my posts. Thank you for that.

Given the information regarding your son spending time with the other competitor shows that my opinion (based solely on the video provided) was wrong. Just looking at the video portrays your son in a very bad light. It's good that you have cleared that up.

BTW, God supports my way of thinking.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I try to bring my fighters up the right way with the respect that goes along with it.

Gorilla thank you and Puuniu taking up for my son. I am so glad that this has been cleared up so TKDfather can fully understand.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did not see it your way(TKD Father)....yes, he started to take a stance but when he realized that his opponent was not going to stand up Zach relaxed. If you look @ the competitors coach he did not leave his chair during the video....His coach did not seem overly concerned....It is great that the kid was not hurt...It is easy to Monday morning quarterback Zach's reaction...I don't think Zach felt that he hit him that hard and was surprised the kid did no get up!!!!

Zach stills say he did not hit himthat hard, but sometimes you just get cought in the right spot and it becomes a KO session. I will talk to you in Austin over drinks Gorilla.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

So what. To me he was doing what his training told him to do, which was to be ready if and when the opponent got up. When it became clear that the opponent was not going to get up, Zack got out of his stance and looked at his opponent to see if he was ok, something that you said he did not do. That statement by you was false.

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Me said:

So what. To me he was doing what his training told him to do, which was to be ready if and when the opponent got up. When it became clear that the opponent was not going to get up, Zack got out of his stance

So you agree with me when I said "he definitely takes a fighting stance against an opponent on the ground".

That statement by you was false.

Which statement? The one you agreed with?? You confuse me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, drop the sniping, OK?

If there was a problem with the competitor's sportsmanship, the coaches, refs, judges, and staff at the events can address it. I do believe there is a mechanism for opposing coaches to address sportsmanship issues, as well.