Zachary last fight at the AAU qualifier

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the LINK to the fight on youtube, I hope everyone enjoys it. He knows he is ready for the US Open. I sure hope so as a dad and coach and instructor all of me hope so. Of course he is in Blue.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
So it was Zac who did the damage huh? I heard about it, but I didn't know to whom knocked him out. I have to say, good kick.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So it was Zac who did the damage huh? I heard about it, but I didn't know to whom knocked him out. I have to say, good kick.

Master D is the young man OK, he said he was. Master Cha said he was ok too...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Terry he has grown since I saw him! He is looking GREAT in competition!!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow Terry he has grown since I saw him! He is looking GREAT in competition!!

Yes 6'1" and weighs 144 pounds solid muscles like always. The US Open is in a couple of week, we shall see how he does against the 18-32 year old men. He will also fight 14-17 since he is still 16.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is the LINK to the fight on youtube, I hope everyone enjoys it. He knows he is ready for the US Open. I sure hope so as a dad and coach and instructor all of me hope so. Of course he is in Blue.

What are the size of the rings? They look a little small. Or maybe your son is just tall.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are the size of the rings? They look a little small. Or maybe your son is just tall.

You are right they was only 6 x 6 and not the standerd 8 x 8,, he is 6'1" tall and wieghs 145 lbs. he is consider tall for that wieght class. Thank you for noticing the rings being small.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are right they was only 6 x 6 and not the standerd 8 x 8,, he is 6'1" tall and wieghs 145 lbs. he is consider tall for that wieght class. Thank you for noticing the rings being small.

For tall competitors, a small ring is a disadvantage, because he can't use his height and distance to full advantage.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For tall competitors, a small ring is a disadvantage, because he can't use his height and distance to full advantage.

Yes but at this AAU qualifier they only had enough matts to do 6 x 6, at the USAT Open they will have 8 x 8 and he will have plenty of room to move. Hopefully he will do good and get noticed for the future at this event.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to be a hater, but if you can, don't comment next time as you film. It would be better to see the fight as it unfolds, without bias.

Now with that said, since you're his coach, I'm interested in your thoughts on the technique of the axe kick. I noticed he threw it with the ground leg pointed quite far back, as opposed to sideways or slightly forward. Did it just transpire that way, or does he prefer to throw it like that? Is the choice related to perhaps being more flexible in side splits than front splits?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to be a hater, but if you can, don't comment next time as you film. It would be better to see the fight as it unfolds, without bias.

Now with that said, since you're his coach, I'm interested in your thoughts on the technique of the axe kick. I noticed he threw it with the ground leg pointed quite far back, as opposed to sideways or slightly forward. Did it just transpire that way, or does he prefer to throw it like that? Is the choice related to perhaps being more flexible in side splits than front splits?

Well first off it was not me making the comments, it was a parent of the school. Second Master Tubbs son Darren coached him, for I was in a ring playing ref. for this event. My son Zach is triple jointed, he prefers to throw it that way so he can move in with the foot sliding to make up some ground on competitors. This is what gives him that extra because people believe they are out of range and he can still get there. If you notice at the 57 second make he moves three feet to land the kick by sliding on the foot being turned over that way. I am glad someone ask about some technical aspect to the kick.:asian:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master D is the young man OK, he said he was. Master Cha said he was ok too...

First off, let me say, your son did very well.

However, am I the only one disturbed by the ambling around the referee did after the other guy was knocked out? If the competitor's still on the floor at the end of the 10 count surely you should be getting a medic just to check them out? He seemed to count him out and then spend 10 seconds milling around, declaring the winner before going back to check on him.

Just found it weird...

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off, let me say, your son did very well.

However, am I the only one disturbed by the ambling around the referee did after the other guy was knocked out? If the competitor's still on the floor at the end of the 10 count surely you should be getting a medic just to check them out? He seemed to count him out and then spend 10 seconds milling around, declaring the winner before going back to check on him.

Just found it weird...

The referee at the table yelled for the medic,he showed up seconds after the video stopped. The center judge ask if he was OK and the competitor said no. All I can say is the medic was called for and did show up.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score

The comments of the filmmaker were a bit of line. It is the competition side coming out - not the martial art aspect, which a lot of people don't understand.

Moving on to the kick. Great job. Throwing an axe kick from the front leg can be very effective - evidenced by Zack's kick. They are closer to the opponent and can be delivered more rapidly.

I know it is Olympic style, but boys, keep your guard up.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The referee at the table yelled for the medic,he showed up seconds after the video stopped. The center judge ask if he was OK and the competitor said no. All I can say is the medic was called for and did show up.

Ah OK. I didn't have the audio up. He just didn't seem particularly fussed or interested in dealing with the fallen competitor...

Latest Discussions