Yup ,i got my butt kicked

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
No shame there..I got my butt whipped by this drop dead stunning female once..Talk about a humbling experience..

That was my 1st sparring experience! Its amazing what that can do to a 15 year old kid's ego.:ultracool

Greg, keep it up, Buddy! Keep your hands up & keep learnin'. It'll go back & forth a lot in the process.

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
Thats one of the toughest things i need to get passed is fighting a female competitor.I've always been taught not to hit women ,so i have tendency to not hit hard or fast.Not to imply women are not able to fight its just hard to get passed the way i was raised.Anyone else have this problem?:idunno:

I wouldn't say you have a tendency not to hit hard. You've gotten me pretty good a few times but that's what we're there for! I don't mind at all, in fact, it helps me become a better fighter. It teaches me close myself up more and not let the hit come in. Don't be afraid to hit a female in class, all of us women at KBBA can take it, we're tough cookies :ultracool

Connie

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No shame there..I got my butt whipped by this drop dead stunning female once..Talk about a humbling experience..
You too?
icon7.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't say you have a tendency not to hit hard. You've gotten me pretty good a few times but that's what we're there for! I don't mind at all, in fact, it helps me become a better fighter. It teaches me close myself up more and not let the hit come in. Don't be afraid to hit a female in class, all of us women at KBBA can take it, we're tough cookies :ultracool

Connie

Good for you, Connie!:)

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You knew this was coming....so let me jump in........

so if she was butt ugly you would not have been as humbled? be careful of making assumptions about your opponent. Sometimes they are as dumb as a fox
icon7.gif

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had that aversion to hitting women as well, but a few kicks to the face made me realize I'd better block and counter heh.

I think with all opponents though (in competition that is), I always guage my level and strength of attack based upon their knowledge _and_ size/strength.

With my size and skill, it wouldn't do anything productive to blast people, unless they're of the same size and skill (in which case it's just a fun, beat-down sparring session ;p).

Currently, one of my favorite sparring partners is a 3rd dan 20 year old girl who's nationally ranked and amazingly fast (her legs defy gravity, after 2 side kicks to the face you'd think the leg would drop and I can come around it... you'd be wrong like me hehe, but I'm adjusting).

We actually make sure the other will be there at sparring night (other town, other school, invitational sparring), just so that we know we can get a great workout. As an amazing tactical fighter who thinks quickly, she's my current favorite to work with.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem?:idunno:

*snort* Heck no. My wife is a relentless pummeler. If I didn't unload on her, I wouldn't even slow her down. No other woman (and few men) I have ever sparred with can match her intensity. After that, I have no problem sparring any woman at her preferred level of contact.

OP
Greg King

Greg King

Green Belt
Reaction score

Connie

Let me just first say that....,i consider Connie a good friend and an able opponent and that this thread is a year old .Within this time I have found out only by being told (and a few shots to the head By Connie and others)that i am not doing anyone a favor by taking it easy on them....there are limits to point sparring but i try hard to score ....within this thread i have been told that if i do not give it my all i will be cheating my opponent of training that they have so diligently earned the right to ,that is what changed my mindset.....a lesson that was slow to learn but i think i got the picture now ......and yes i am still getting my butt kicked and loving it .........is it wrong:uhyeah:

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me just first say that....,i consider Connie a good friend and an able opponent and that this thread is a year old .Within this time I have found out only by being told (and a few shots to the head By Connie and others)that i am not doing anyone a favor by taking it easy on them....there are limits to point sparring but i try hard to score ....within this thread i have been told that if i do not give it my all i will be cheating my opponent of training that they have so diligently earned the right to ,that is what changed my mindset.....a lesson that was slow to learn but i think i got the picture now ......and yes i am still getting my butt kicked and loving it .........is it wrong:uhyeah:

You're right Greg, this is an old thread...but isn't it amazing how far all of us have come in the last year? I can't wait to see where we're at in the years to come. And yes, now you have no problem sparring against anyone and you treat them all equal. Just like you said, when you hold back you're not doing anyone any favors. I clearly remember the first time I sparred with you. You hit me and the look on your face was priceless! You're not the only one who had the "Oh no I just hit a girl" face...but no one at our dojang has that "look" anymore. :asian:

Connie

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
Currently, one of my favorite sparring partners is a 3rd dan 20 year old girl who's nationally ranked and amazingly fast (her legs defy gravity, after 2 side kicks to the face you'd think the leg would drop and I can come around it... you'd be wrong like me hehe, but I'm adjusting).

Wow! She sounds amazing! Were you frustrated at first, getting hit all the time and not being able to get shots in on her? When I spar against some of the black belts I get so frustrated when I get an axe kick or a hook kick to the head without even seeing it coming and then it's so hard to get a kick like that in on them. My goal now when fighting them is to not get kicked in the head, I'll worry about countering on them later. HAHA!!

Connie

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not at all, I was just amazed that she could keep 'in zone' with that leg heh.
I do get shots in constantly, it's just that her offense provides me with a great opportunity to work on my defense hehe. It's the finesse and precision targetting that I love, just like an elegant weapon.

Although, like with all of my sparring partners, I'm constantly mindful about injuring her and regularly make sure my contact isn't too heavy.

She didn't win this year, but she was ranked #2 or #1 in womens 17-29 2nd-3rd degrees (ATA). She's one of those ones that is just a natural, probably 5'4"ish, but can kick straight up, quickly heh. And that girl can _hit_ heh, great sparring partner for sure.

I used to be one of her instructor's instructors (if that makes sense), he sure made us proud through his students :).

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ya know, there are some really great posts here but I keep going back to the original one, about a white belt having his butt kicked by a black belt pretending to be a white belt. I'm sorry, but is it me or is there something wrong with this picture? Starting over in a new system is one thing, but breaking a black belt down to white belt and "THEN" having this person spar white belts as if they were "EQUAL"? Give me a break, both the instructor and the "black belt", small letters on purpose, should be ashamed of them selves. This is just sad, what's next, beating up on 5 year olds? Be care they don't hurt you, eh?

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
Ya know, there are some really great posts here but I keep going back to the original one, about a white belt having his butt kicked by a black belt pretending to be a white belt. I'm sorry, but is it me or is there something wrong with this picture? Starting over in a new system is one thing, but breaking a black belt down to white belt and "THEN" having this person spar white belts as if they were "EQUAL"? Give me a break, both the instructor and the "black belt", small letters on purpose, should be ashamed of them selves. This is just sad, what's next, beating up on 5 year olds? Be care they don't hurt you, eh?

This "black belt pretending to be a white belt" switched schools when he wasn't happy with his tae kwon do school and found our Kyuki-do school. Our school had everything he was looking for. I don't think you'll find many black belts that start all over again as a white belt. I find that very humbling. I too have been kicked in the head several times when sparing with him, but then I'll stop him and ask him to do it again so that I can see how he set it up, how I can defend myself in the furture from those kicks and then I'll try it on him. I've learned a great deal from him. We spar with every level in our school and I found that I learn the most from sparring with the upper ranks. One thing that most upper ranks have that the lower ranks don't have is control, so when you spar with this "black belt pretending to be a white belt" there was always a lot of control and I've never felt as if I was going to get hurt when sparring with him. I fear the lower ranks more! LOL

Connie

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK Connie, lets see if I got this right, He has great control yet he still kicks you in the head? Is this a controlled head shot that doesn't make contact or is he actually "kicking" you in the head? There is a difference.
Just sitting here waiting...................................:)

Telos

White Belt
Reaction score
the only way you become stronger and more efficient is by fighting stronger better oppononets.

fighting evenly matched opponents allows you work on your skill and presentation.

Fighting weaker opponents allows you to refine and introduce various techniques you may not have readily prepared in your normal reportoire.

leplvr

White Belt
Reaction score
OK Connie, lets see if I got this right, He has great control yet he still kicks you in the head? Is this a controlled head shot that doesn't make contact or is he actually "kicking" you in the head? There is a difference.
Just sitting here waiting...................................:)

Hope I didn't make you wait too long :) LOL

His kicks to the head are controlled and they don't hurt. They'll shock you more than anything because you're not expecting it. If we land head shots in our school, the person who got kicked in the head will almost always tell the kicker "Good one!" so it's all good! :uhyeah:

Connie

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
His kicks to the head are controlled and they don't hurt. They'll shock you more than anything because you're not expecting it. If we land head shots in our school, the person who got kicked in the head will almost always tell the kicker "Good one!" so it's all good! :uhyeah:

Connie

Sounds like a great opportunity to work on blocking your head/avoiding head shots. Great training.

I suggest partnering up with this person as often as possible.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
leplvr, thank you for clearing that up. It does make a difference.

zDom, I agree, if he has that kind of control it will only be for the good.

leplvr, when you said you were getting your butt kicked I mistakenly put it into the context of my school and the system we train under. I thought you were literally getting your butt kicked. I didn't realize you were in a light or contact system. My apologies.