Yun Forms...

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to a class tonight... Chae Hook Sung Tae Kwon Do. I just stopped by the class to check it out and the instructor happened to be someone I knew and also the cousin of my current instructor). Off came the shoes.. and I was there doing line drills and forms in my jeans, t-shirt, and socks :)

Anyway, we did some taeguek forms. They also do forms called "Yun" which he also called either 'combat' or 'fighting' forms. They were pretty impressive, and besides the basic blocks and kicks included a few throws, takedowns, and some other motions (including more circular motions that I've seen in Taekwondo forms before. He said that they were really old forms from his instructor, but he was one of the few from that line that still taught them. The other interesting point is that they do them two ways, kinda of at a normal pace but also at a 'fighting' pace. I saw one of the students do one at full speed and it was impressive, it really looked like a fight, very fast and powerful.

Anyone familiar with these forms?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is probably way off the mark... but one of the early Kwans was the Yun Moo Kwan, which later changed its name to Jidokwan. I wonder if the forms you're referring to might have been some of the original hyungs of the YMK? It might be worth doing a bit of research in that direction....

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It maybe a personal set of forms that your instructor made up though all of his years of training, so it would only be seen by those he teaches.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is probably way off the mark... but one of the early Kwans was the Yun Moo Kwan, which later changed its name to Jidokwan.

Actually, he has mentioned "Jidokwan" quite often on conversations so that may be pretty close to the mark

It maybe a personal set of forms that your instructor made up though all of his years of training, so it would only be seen by those he teaches.

No, I thought that might be the case but I asked him and he said they came from his instructor

By the way his name is Sterling Chase, 6th Dan, if anyone knows (of) him

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
For grins, here is E Yun Poomse

Note that the form (as do many of them ) starts out in Fighting stance rather than Joombi stance

Also, which may not be clear from the text is that the punches do not include a Iljun Chungin step (like I'm familiar with from the Taegueks)

1. 1. BOXING STANCE
2. TURN LEFT (90) INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE, DOWN BLOCK W/LEFT, PUNCH
W/RIGHT, AND BONDUL KICK W/RIGHT.
3. TURN RIGHT (180 DEGREES) INTO A RIGHT FRINT STANCE, DOWN BLOCK
W/RIGHT, PUNCH W/LEFT, BONDUL KICK W/LEFT.
4. TURN LEFT (90 DEGREES) INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE, OUTSIDE MIDDLE
BLOCK W/LEFT, PUNCH W/RIGHT, ROUNDHOUSE KICK W/RIGHT, INSIDE MIDDLE
BLOCK W/RIGHT, PUNCH W/LEFT, ROUNDHOUSE KICK W/LEFT.
5. FACE RIGHT (90 DEGREES) DOUBLE FRONT KICK W/LEFT THEN RIGHT, DOUBLE
PUNCH W/RIGHT THEN LEFT.
6. TURN RIGHT (180 DEGREES) INTO A RIGHT FRONT STANCE, FRONT KICK
W/LEFT, THEN RIGHT, DOUBLE PUNCH W/RIGHT, THEN EFT.
7. TURN LEFT (90 DEGREES) INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE, OUTSIDE MIDDLE
CIRCLE BLOCK W/LEFT, SLIDE STEP FORWARD PUSHING APPONENTS CHIN AND
PUNCH W/RIGHT, ROUNDHOUSE KICK W/RIGHT.
8. TURN LEFT (180 DEGREES) INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE, OUTSIDE MIDDLE
CIRCLE BLOCK W/RIGHT, SLIDE STEP FORWARD PUSHING OPPONENTS CHIN
AND PUNCH W/LEFT, IL BO CHUN JIN STEP ROUNDHOUSE KICK W/LEFT.
9. TURN RIGHT (180 DEGREES) INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE, HIGH BLOCK
BRINGING OPPONENTS ATTACKING ARM DOWN IN A LEFT-HALF CIRCLE TO
YOUR LOWER FRONT HOLDING THEIR ARM AND STEPPING W/RIGHT AND
HAMMER FIST W/RIGHT SMASHING ELBOW, LEFT KNEE TO RIBS RETURNING TO
RIGHT FRONT STANCE, LOOKING OVER LEFT SHOULDER W/LEFT ELBOW
STRIKE TO MID SECTION THEN PALM STRIKE TO GROIN AND BACKFIST TO FACE
ALL W/LEFT, JUMPING BACK KICK W/RIGHT LANDING IN A LEFT FRONT STANCE.
10. FACING FORWARD BONDUL W/RIGHT RETURNING INTO A LEFT FRONT STANCE,
BACK KICK W/RIGHT LANDING INTO LEFT FRONT STANCE.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weird as hell.

The very early hyungs were just Shotokan kata, without an awful lot of complex kicking&#8212;or even very much kicking&#8212;at all. That came later. Compare the Taegeuks with the earlier Pinans, or even the Palgwes, and the strong predominance of the hand over the leg techniques is evident. In contrast, in this 10-move hyung I count at least 13 separate kicking techs, including a jumping back kick, plus something called a `bondul kick' (no idea what that is). I think the details of this hyung tend to cast considerable doubt on my original idea that `Yun' here referred to one of the early TKD kwans!

I do have a real lead for you, though, FF. Check out this site for information about what I assume from the name is the first Yun hyung. The `mother site' is here. These are the people to go to, I think, if you want background information about the Yun forms...

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is probably way off the mark... but one of the early Kwans was the Yun Moo Kwan, which later changed its name to Jidokwan.[/I]

That would be really funny since the Chosun Yunmoo-Kwan was a Yudo dojang (the Korean representative of the Japanese Kodokan).

Yoon Kwe-byung (Yoon Ui-byung) was one of the students of the kwon-bup/karate club that used space within the Yunmoo-Kwan Yudo dojang for classes. He later(around 1952) opened his own dojang and called it, "Jido-Kwan."

It would be a little humorous if someone thought Jido-Kwan and Yunmoo-Kwan were the same and made up a form/forms based upon it.

R. McLain

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be really funny since the Chosun Yunmoo-Kwan was a Yudo dojang (the Korean representative of the Japanese Kodokan).

Yoon Kwe-byung (Yoon Ui-byung) was one of the students of the kwon-bup/karate club that used space within the Yunmoo-Kwan Yudo dojang for classes. He later(around 1952) opened his own dojang and called it, "Jido-Kwan."

It would be a little humorous if someone thought Jido-Kwan and Yunmoo-Kwan were the same and made up a form/forms based upon it.

R. McLain

Yeah, the original Yudo use of the kwan premises struck me also.... but structurally, it just seems bizarre!

This however is a possibility. The giveaway is the way they stress this Gm.'s interest in poomsae... I wonder if this Sterling Chase chap had the Gm. Yun mentioned here as an instructor at one point?

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
, plus something called a `bondul kick' (no idea what that is).

That's just a roundhouse kick that comes up at a 45 degree angle rather than along a flat plane. Very little pivot on the plant leg, if at all. More a cross between a front/snap kick and a roundhouse kick.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do have a real lead for you, though, FF. Check out this site for information about what I assume from the name is the first Yun hyung. The `mother site' is here. These are the people to go to, I think, if you want background information about the Yun forms...

Um.. yeah... that's the same sight as I got the Ii Yun form from :) Actually, that's the site for the school or organization I'm looking at.

I may be confused by the names because they mention him as Master Chae, which is how I've heard him called, but his cousin is my Hapkido instructor and just calls him Sterling, but the only Sterling on the Members list is Sterling Chase so... but I wasn't sure if anyone would know him by name

and as to the forms themselves, they are pretty intense to see at speed

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's just a roundhouse kick that comes up at a 45 degree angle rather than along a flat plane. Very little pivot on the plant leg, if at all. More a cross between a front/snap kick and a roundhouse kick.

I think maybe you are talking about a crescent kick. Your Korean would be pretty close to the phonetic sound of the Korean term for it (I have always written it as bandal chagi), and your description seems to be close as well.

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think maybe you are talking about a crescent kick. Your Korean would be pretty close to the phonetic sound of the Korean term for it (I have always written it as bandal chagi), and your description seems to be close as well.

Yeah, I looked it up and saw that what I could find that sounds like the same was called a "Crescent kick" but the way he throws it is definitely not a crescent kick...

In my Hapkido kick we call it a "round" kick (not to be confused with the more traditional "roundhouse" kick or the Muy Thai "roundhouse" kick, which we also employ)

foot2face

Green Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like a cut kick.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very short, technically quite demanding forms... doesn't sound to me like a traditional kata-based (or even kata-inspired) hyung. More like an exhibition demo piece, or a training exercise devised by a very advanced practitioner lower dan grades.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my Hapkido kick we call it a "round" kick (not to be confused with the more traditional "roundhouse" kick or the Muy Thai "roundhouse" kick, which we also employ)

In my school a round kick is a lead leg kick with the instep, where a roundhouse could be considered a pivot round kick. In a round kick you'd chamber with your heal to your backside, where with a lead leg side kick you'd chamber with you knee into your chest. If that makes any sense.

jim