exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll be in Okinawa from Nov 2-28. I'll see if I can track down anyone claiming to instruct the Jae Nam (Channan) form or forms.

R. McLain

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just read the history from this link: http://www.geocities.com/auburntsdclub/SangKeukKwon.doc

I found the following quote interesting, "Looking at the genealogical chart on the following page, you will note that Wei Xiao Tang taught the Korean Military in the 1920’s."

This seems very strange since Korea had already been occupied by the Japanese forces for 10 years by the time the 1920's even started. To my knowledge, there was no "Korean" military remaining for years.

Also, Kim Ki-whang's instructor is listed as "unknown." Actually, his instructor was Toyama Kanken at Nihon University, Tokyo, Japan. Toyama called his school, "Shudo-kan." Toyama was a direct student of Yasutsune Itosu for about 15 years.

EmperorOfKentukki

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on Kim Ki Whangs teacher. I don't know why I missed that. Anyway....I'll have to check back about that date for teaching the Korean Army. I may have made a typo (say 1820). I've got notes somewhere....if I can find them.

JH

Reaction score
I also wanted to get information about Yuk Ro hyungs and I found a few things, and they repeat the same in different websites, but nothing deep. Just that were recover from Grand Master Hwnag Kee in his study of the Moo Yei Do Bo Tong Ji, between 57 and 59, but I can´t trace its antiquity, its history, the descrption and explanation of their movements. Do you kwo where can I find that info? because I already look into the official soo bahk do website.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In terms of published work, the only book that contains anything about the Yuk Ro hyung in their entirety is the Korean version of Soo Bahk Do Volume 2. I'm working on translating it right now, but I haven't looked for historical information. Even historical information on the Muye Dobo Tongji is a bit spotty. You will notice many similarities between the Yuk Yo hyung and Chil Sungs as well as some of the higher forms. It is possible that the Yuk Ros and Chil Sungs were created as "preparation" for the higher forms, much like the Pinan forms by Funakoshi.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is possible that the Yuk Ros and Chil Sungs were created as "preparation" for the higher forms, much like the Pinan forms by Funakoshi.

The Pinan forms were created by Itosu. Funakoshi changed the order of the first two, and it's not really known whether he or his students were responsible for making the other Shotokan changes to the kata compared to the Okinawan versions.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Pinan forms were created by Itosu. Funakoshi changed the order of the first two, and it's not really known whether he or his students were responsible for making the other Shotokan changes to the kata compared to the Okinawan versions.

WOW - I'm sorry....I didn't even realize that I said that. I get an "F" for today....I was in a hurry leaving the house this morning!

I do think that the Yuk Ros and Chil Sungs were created for many of the same reasons that the Pinans were - more to help build toward more advanced forms than to stand alone, although particularly in the higher Chil Sungs and Yuk Ros, there is some pretty advanced stuff. There seems to be more of a progression in those forms from beginner to advanced.