Yuk Ro Hyungs

M

Moo D

Hi,

I am looking for any information on Hwang Kee's, Yuk ro hyung series. I have been taught one of the Yuk ro hyungs but I am not sure which one of the 6 forms.

Also there is not a lot of info on these hyungs in general. Other than GM Hwang reconstructed these hyungs from the muye dobu tonji in the 1960's.

Can anyone help me out with any further info, please????????????

Tang Soo!

Steve Radford

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tang Soo Steve!

Welcome to Martial Talk! Which Yuk Ro Hyung do you know? Could you describe it?

upnorthkyosa

OP
M

Moo D

UpnorthKyosa,

Thanks for the reply,

The Yuk Ro Hyung that I have been taught starts with a double arm strike (to the front and Back), then repeated with a reverse double arm strike to the front and back). Then the right arm comes over the top and grasps the left extended arm, a scooping motion (Breathing in) whilst rocking from front stance back into back stance with front heel to ground (Toes up). Then the arms are pushed out to the front whilst moving from side stance to front stance and breathing out.

These are the first 4 moves, complicated heh!!

I think there is around 40 moves in total with movement first to the west then back to the east in a linear motion.

Does this sound familiar???

Tang Soo!!

Steve

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah yes...Du Moon - open the gate - I believe this one is also called Yuk Ro Cho Dan. This is the only Yuk Ro form I know. I've been out of the SBDMDK Federation for about three years and out of the loop with Master Bill Nelson for about two. To answer a few of your questions though...eventually, the Federation would like to replace ALL forms (at least at the gup level) not created by the Kwanjangnim Hwang Kee. Pyung Ahns, Bassai, and Nai Han Chi will be taken out and replaced by this series. The teaching of it to Dans is suppose to preclude this change by showing instructors how to do them all. This is one of the reasons my instructor pulled out of the organization. Most of the information on these forms is available through the SBDMDK Federation.

OP
M

Moo D

Thanks UpnorthKyosa,

I train in the UK Tang Soo (Soo Bahk) Do Federation, Moo Duk Kwan, under Kwang Jang nim Lee, Kang Uk, one of Doju nim Hwang, kee's senior students (Dan Bon #70). We still use the original Tang Soo Do hyungs of Pyuang Ahn, Naihanchi, Bassai, Ship Soo, Jin Do etc...

I was taught the Juk ro (Du moon) hyung by my teacher, Sabonim Stephen Tilley (5th dan). Master Tilley has trained under KJN Lee for the past 24 years, part of that under DJN Hwang, kee before KJN Lee moved away from his teacher.

Do you know when this form was founded???

Tang Soo!!

Steve

OP
M

Moo D

Sorry UpnorthKyosa,

Could I ask one more question??

Are there any good web resources for the Yuk Ro hyungs?? You mentioned the SBKMDK Federation. Could you post a link for them, please??

Tang Soo!

Steve

mtabone

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have learned to date three of the 6 yuk Rho's. They are requirments in the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan. I will not learn the next till I get the big 0' red strip through my belt, but that is years away...

They are a great series of hyungs, with a lot to teach....

I would locate a book of the Moo Duk Kwan. Has all the yuk rho's in there.I believe...

TANG SOO!!!
M.Tabone

OP
M

Moo D

M. Tabone,

Many thanks for the reply. Which book has these hyungs in?? I have GM Hwangs original Tang Soo Do book (Volume 1) but it only has the Okinawan Hyungs In.

Can you suggest a resource for my research into the Yuk Ro series??

Tang Soo!!!

Steve

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just re-purchased volumes 1 and 2 last year. Hwa Sun is in volume 2 but none of the Chil Sung. There are some Yuk Ro Hyung.

OP
D

dosandojang

My Grand Master does Chil Sungs 1-7, and Yuk Ros 1-6 (Grand Master Ivanhoe Kim of Soo Bahk Ki International. He has even made his own new Soo Bahk Do Hyungs, but I will not bother to learn them)

OP
D

dosandojang

For those who do not know what I was talking about, here are Soo Bahk Ki International's Soo Bahk Do Original Hyungs:

Chil Sung Il Ro
Chil Sung Ee Ro
Chil Sung Sam Ro
Chil Sung Sah Ro
Chil Sung Oh Ro
Chil Sung Yuk Ro
Chil Sung Chil Ro

Yuk Ro Cho Dan
Yuk Ro Ee Dan
Yuk Ro Sam Dan
Yuk Ro Sah Dan
Yuk Ro Oh Dan
Yuk Ro Yuk Dan

Hwa Sun
So Ho Yun

OP
M

Moo D

dosandojang,

Are there no Japanese/Okinawan Hyungs practiced anymore in your syllabus??

Also what relationship is GM Ivanhoe Kim to Hwang Kee, I am interested as I am trying to trace the generation roots from Hwang done to myself and I have seen references regarding GM Ivanhoe Kim but not who his instructor is/was???

Tang Soo!!

OP
D

dosandojang

Oh yes, of course there are. We practice the Kichos and Pyong Ahns for our TSD side, and the Yuk Ros and Chil Sungs for our SBD side. My GM, Young Ik Han grew up in the MDK, so his base is in the Kichos and Pyong Ahns. Later he hooked up with GM Kim, and learned the SBD Hyungs. But now, GM Kim has created his OWN SBD Hyungs, and my GM and I are not going to learn them...

OP
D

dosandojang

From what they (GM Han and GM Kim) tell me, GM Kim learned from Dojunim Hwang Kee and his son. He may have had other Masters though, but he has just not mentioned them to me. I will ask though...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dosandojang said:
From what they (GM Han and GM Kim) tell me, GM Kim learned from Dojunim Hwang Kee and his son. He may have had other Masters though, but he has just not mentioned them to me. I will ask though...

I have never heard the term "dojunim". Could you please enlighten me?

Thanks

OP
M

Moo D

upnorthkyosa,

The translation of Do ju nim is founder and is applied to hwang Kee for the founding of the Moo Duk Kwan.

Regards,

OP
M

Moo D

dosandojang,

Thanks for the reply. I had heard that SBD had relinquished the Japanese/Okinawon Hyungs for the Chil sung and Yuk ro hyungs as created by DJN Hwang.

Would you say that there is a distinct difference between TSD and SBD as the philosophies are entwined via the Moo Duk Kwan??

Regards,

OP
D

dosandojang

Well they both come from Doju Nim Hwang Kee, but I will say they are different forms wise...

OP
M

Moo D

Thanks, That's been most enlightening.

Tang Soo!!

Latest Discussions