You're Walking Down a Dark Alley - Semi Sucker Punch?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man I love Salmon any way it is fixed. Love seafood but didn't know people ate Jellyfish but would give it a try. I do hate squid though. Can't stand the consistency.
I don’t think anyone eats jellyfish. Just my way of saying I’ll eat anything from the ocean that’s actually edible.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone eats jellyfish. Just my way of saying I’ll eat anything from the ocean that’s actually edible.
I did a little reading and jellyfish are pretty popular in some Asian countries. Plus they are 80% protein. Supposedly good for RA. They are prepared like noodles and mixed with other foods so wonder how much flavor they have.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did a little reading and jellyfish are pretty popular in some Asian countries. Plus they are 80% protein. Supposedly good for RA. They are prepared like noodles and mixed with other foods so wonder how much flavor they have.
I can’t imagine the consistency would be appealing. I guess it’s all in the way it’s cooked, but that can be said for anything. I mean, if you season the hell out of doo-doo it shouldn’t taste like doo-doo if you cook it right, but I’m not going to try that either :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can’t imagine the consistency would be appealing. I guess it’s all in the way it’s cooked, but that can be said for anything. I mean, if you season the hell out of doo-doo it shouldn’t taste like doo-doo if you cook it right, but I’m not going to try that either :)
Worst consistency I have ever eaten is squid. Just wrong.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adding to my post. L.A. California, just sucks. Period.
The attack I mentioned earlier happened when I was near my prime in athletic ability. For a long time I took a hit to my pride also, thinking I should have easily been able to avoid it or deal with it without harm. I would have strongly advocated striking first back then. Like I said earlier, there was a lot of fault on my own by not by not being aware of my surroundings.
Fast forward three years. I am back in L.A. for the same company going to the same place. I had taken a cab down Sunset to go to the Whiskey GoGo club (look it up, great history). I got out of the cab and walked about 10 feet when a guy I was aware of quickly turned toward me and presented a knife. He started to talk (I made sure we had eye contact) but before he could really say anything, I stepped to the side. outside parry blocked the arm with the knife and took control of it. Then palm heeled the elbow. Crack. The knife went flying and he went down as I controlled the arm. I stomped his head twice and felt the arm go limp. I then took one step back still controlling the arm to check for movement. None. Just to be sure I did three had stomps to the ribs. No movement. I stepped back to check the environment. The street was busy but people just kept walking like he was just a piece of debris on the sidewalk. I went into the GOGo and enjoyed the evening never hearing anything about what had happened outside.
I think the three rib stomps may have been for the first attack. Who knows. My point is I learned my lesson from the first attack and it paid off the next time.
Age and experience has taught me there are times you will not see a life event coming, death, accidents, even attacks. Without exception, strike first/strike fast is an incontrovertible rule to live by. However, when I start the "what if game" my age and experience knows the repercussions of the rule. So I am not arguing the rule, just want people to understand in this screwed up day and age it likely will not be a black & white situation.

Oh Wow! I just knew it.

That was you wasn't it?

:eek: :D :D :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We got a 'set' meal, to save us from having to figure it out. Cost $60 for two for just the food, came with chicken tempura, sushi, sashimi, edamame beans, fruit and steak. I was a fan, all the food was delicious. Definitely someplace to go if you enjoy that kind of thing (and are okay with people jumping out at you)

But about japanese places in general, I have the same issue as you...I never know if ordering something is just one roll, or if it's enough for an actual meal. A lot of places have a combo thing though, so if you find one of those with sushi you like it handles that worry.

Just ask. :)

Give the waiter/waitress a chance to work for a larger tip.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

You know, as I learned it many many years ago on Okinawa, sushi was usually a wrap of some kind with some type of protein (fish, pork, or beef) in it, but it was distinct because the of the way the rice was prepared, it was sort of pickled. Sashimi, now that was raw seafood.and even it could be done several ways. The first time I tried raw octopus I thought I would have to spit it out and embarrass myself. It seemed the more I chewed, the larger the lump in my mouth got.

Since then I have eaten snake, raw fish, baby chickens allowed to incubate in the shell about two weeks before being cooked and eaten, cooked ox blood, dog, more octopus, squid, several kinds of raw fish, including fresh caught from the Yellow Sea near an island close to the Han River outlet (think about it). I love eel, and oyster on the half shell as well as cold noodle soup and kimchi.

And I think even jellyfish. It was cut into thin strips and served with some chopped vegetables and a sauce as I recall.

Oh, I also eat western style food, but not all.

My wife is Korean and we eat mostly korean-style food, and some of the things I have eaten I don't think she would eat. But I would try just about anything at least one time.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Worst consistency I have ever eaten is squid. Just wrong.
I love squid/calamari. Octopus too. And scallops. They’ve all got more or less that same texture. I can see why people wouldn’t like the texture, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, as I learned it many many years ago on Okinawa, sushi was usually a wrap of some kind with some type of protein (fish, pork, or beef) in it, but it was distinct because the of the way the rice was prepared, it was sort of pickled. Sashimi, now that was raw seafood.and even it could be done several ways. The first time I tried raw octopus I thought I would have to spit it out and embarrass myself. It seemed the more I chewed, the larger the lump in my mouth got.

Since then I have eaten snake, raw fish, baby chickens allowed to incubate in the shell about two weeks before being cooked and eaten, cooked ox blood, dog, more octopus, squid, several kinds of raw fish, including fresh caught from the Yellow Sea near an island close to the Han River outlet (think about it). I love eel, and oyster on the half shell as well as cold noodle soup and kimchi.

And I think even jellyfish. It was cut into thin strips and served with some chopped vegetables and a sauce as I recall.

Oh, I also eat western style food, but not all.

My wife is Korean and we eat mostly korean-style food, and some of the things I have eaten I don't think she would eat. But I would try just about anything at least one time.
You reminded me of a funny story from one of my soccer players a while back...

He was playing in the world university games hosted by South Korea. He said every day he’d pass by street food vendors, and what they were cooking smelled really good, so he asked them what it was. It was dog. He got disgusted by it. As the week went on, he thought it smelled so good, so he broke down and asked on of the vendors to try a really small piece. He said it was the best thing he’s ever eaten. Then he swallowed it and it hit him that he just ate dog, and he threw up. The vendor laughed hysterically, and the guy told him it was delicious, but all he could think about was eating his childhood pet.

I’ve eaten some pretty non-mainstream meat and would try pretty much anything. I’d have to draw the line at dogs though. Cats too.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You reminded me of a funny story from one of my soccer players a while back...

He was playing in the world university games hosted by South Korea. He said every day he’d pass by street food vendors, and what they were cooking smelled really good, so he asked them what it was. It was dog. He got disgusted by it. As the week went on, he thought it smelled so good, so he broke down and asked on of the vendors to try a really small piece. He said it was the best thing he’s ever eaten. Then he swallowed it and it hit him that he just ate dog, and he threw up. The vendor laughed hysterically, and the guy told him it was delicious, but all he could think about was eating his childhood pet.

I’ve eaten some pretty non-mainstream meat and would try pretty much anything. I’d have to draw the line at dogs though. Cats too.

I'll bet vendors would have gotten a kick out of that. Street food vendor implies to me a vendor selling from a cart, but if he wasn't used to small cooking places selling food on sort of back streets, he may not have been able to find another word to describe those he passed by.

I heard from people who survived the depression that most people wouldn't eat cat. They weren't thinking of Fluffy, it was just that it was practically inedible. But I wouldn't know, nor frankly, could I vouch for the person who told me that. He once gave me some rock candy. Nearly cracked a tooth. :eek: I don't remember ever accepting anything from him after that. :p

As to dog, the first time I had it was in Vietnam, A girlfriend of mine and a buddy of mine's girlfriend, thought it would be funny to cook it for us without us knowing. Well he had eaten dog in Korea so he knew what he was eating. I could understand the ladies talking about the fun to expect afterwards, even though they were using words they thought I would not understand. I used words to him they in fact didn't understand, and to get him to agree after we had finished eating, we would suddenly start barking and growling at each other. They were momentarily surprised, but immediately realized we got them instead of the other way around. We all had a good laugh. I ate it several times in Vietnam after that when it was presented to me, but I never went out of my way to order it. Not even in Korea where it is also plentiful.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love squid/calamari. Octopus too. And scallops. They’ve all got more or less that same texture. I can see why people wouldn’t like the texture, but it doesn’t bother me at all.

I agree, but it can be cooked too long and they then get a little tough, even scallops, and don't taste as good.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love scallops. I have never thought they are a "rough" in texture as squid.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
True, but most seafood cooks a little quicker I think. What has been your experience?
I don’t cook it often because it’s really easy to mess up. There’s a very short window. Too long and it’s too rubbery. Not long enough and it’s mushy. And that window’s only a minute or two.

I stick to shellfish and fish if I’m cooking seafood.

But yeah, it cooks pretty quick. Can’t talk away from it.