Your worst class injury?

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just curious about what some martial artist's worst injurys were that they received during class time. Let me know how you obtained the injury and who was the wonderful giver of this injury. Give me some feedback guys.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bruised ribs in BJJ when a big guy fell on me following a throw. It was actually worse than the fractured rib I got when my instructor, WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELSS (Tim Hartman), used me to demo a stick grappling technique in arnis and sent me to the ER the day after Christmas! The bruised ribs made it hurt to breath for many weeks. A rib belt helped.

Hmmm, apart from one crooked toe and a tiny, almost invisible scar I don't have much else by way of injuries that didn't fade away.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two of them, both involving ligaments.

Hip flexor strain - took me about 2 months before I could kick above the knee again. It took about 4 months before I could kick above the chest level, and it really wasn't until about two years after the injury, that I had all of the flexibility back again. Very painful during that time.

"Turf Toe" - I used to scoff at football players who were considered "out" because of turf toe, but after getting this once, I no longer scoff at them. This happened back in 2001, and the right big toe still gets stiff once in a while.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't recall any particular injury during a class. Maybe some injured fingers, or the wind knocked out, but no broken bones at all. I did rupture a disc during a tournament that put me out for quite a while. The rupture caused major pain in the front right thigh and total numbness that began above the right kneecap, down the front of the leg, into the toes. I was the culprit, happened while performing Sho Tung Kwa, a kempo form.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Had my nose smashed across my face.

A guy I was sparring suckered me out. I could see he was going to land a kick on my left side, and I thought he was aiming at my ribs so I tucked by left elbow down to absorb some of the blow. Turns out he was aiming at my head...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Broke up my shoulder and collerbone one class. Put me out of work and training for almost 4 months. Giver of the gift? My younger brother, who I have never brought this up again to because he felt so bad about it... OK I'm lying through my teeth. I razz him all the time about it, even though he did feel really bad about it. :)

It was a combination of over-enthusiasm on my part and him trying to ease my fall during a throw. I shouldn't have been doing the throw yet, and when he tried to make it easier landing, I over-rotated and landed my whole weight on the point of my left shoulder. 1st time was bad enough and I'm sure most of the damage was done then, but I just had to try it again. 2nd time really screwed it up. The Instructors weren't real pleased :idunno:.

Side note: this was the first class my future wife was at, she signed up that night. Said that if somebody the size of my brother (5'9", 145#) could wreck a guy my size (6'2", 225#), that is what she was looking for in a SD art. I knew right then I had to start dating this girl. :)

Funniest "injury" was during a knife defense class put on by Marc Jobin from Quebec. I was the attacker and during the take down, the knife flipped out of my hand and as I came down on the mat, the wooden trainer knife landed point first right above my right eye and popped a fair sized hole in my forehead. You have no idea how funny that can be, either that or we all are sick buggers. Everybody was laughing about how I could get wounded by a girl and a wood knife, while I was putting a patch on the leak I sprung.

OP
kenpofighter

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to be honest and say that they were the one who injured themselves! Thanks for being honest Xue Sheng! Not that everyone else was't.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Worst injury was a torn meniscus. We were going over a technique we call scissors, basically a jump scissoring the legs around the torso and taking uke to the ground. My partner did the technqiue, but instead of falling backwards, I twisted, my foot got caught in the mat and I twisted around my knee. It wasn't anybody's fault really, just happened.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got my right knee smashed. Sparring with my old Sensi's son. He and I were the same age (15) and belt grade (just made black belt at the time) I went for a roundhouse kick and he took my left leg out from under me and I fell really badly.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Where do I begin??? :uhohh:

Bruised ribs (multiple times) Should have blocked
Broken fingers (assorted digits multiple times) Poor block
Broken Toes (same as above) Helpful hint don't kick elbow
Dislocated shoulder (thankfully only once) Partner didn't let go

KO'ed ....can't remember.......:wink1: Never saw it comeing :eek:

Basically what I'm saying is that I am my own worst enemy.

-Marc-

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ruptured ACL, obtained during a jumping drill in which I landed... poorly.

Caused by me tripping over my ego and not letting the 16 yo's "win" the silly competition we were having...

Led to a reinjury later during a sparring match (also tore meniscus) before I finally got the replacement surgery (in my defense, the original injury was misdiagnosed... if I'd known it was a ruptured ACL, I wouldn't have been training on it!).

A few years on, my knee is stronger than ever, and I'm a bit wiser (I hope) about listening to my body before I injure it...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dislocated my wrist once at an RVD seminar back in the mid 90's. RVD put it back for me.
More jammed fingers & toes than I can remember. Cut my hand on the tip of a trainer doing knife disarms once.
Also, Kevin Millis popped me in the mouth for not paying attention to my distance. Bloody fat lip. It's cool, though, 'cause I never made that mistake again!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aside from the constantly sore joints that come from aikido practice...evulsion fracture of the foot, just rolled it wrong during a drill.
Hyper-extended both thumbs pretty badly, spraining the ulnar colateral ligament. The worst one was the foot though. I continued to train on it for about half an hour after the incident...hey, it was a MacEwen seminar and it's the only injury taken in the dojo that's put me out of training for more than a day or two.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi All,

Where do I begin??? :uhohh:

Bruised ribs (multiple times) Should have blocked
Broken fingers (assorted digits multiple times) Poor block
Broken Toes (same as above) Helpful hint don't kick elbow
Dislocated shoulder (thankfully only once) Partner didn't let go

KO'ed ....can't remember.......:wink1: Never saw it comeing :eek:

Basically what I'm saying is that I am my own worst enemy.

-Marc-

YES!

I remember another one now... spinning wheel kick to the jaw during a tournament. That one hurt.

Jaw clicked and clacked for several years, too, still does a little sometimes!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
3 stitches under my lower lip.

It was a night when a lot of folks came for sparring class in our crampt space. We're were always bumping into everyone. I was a 2nd Dan sparring a white belt (his 1st time) & the next thing I know, I'm on the floor! I know this guy didn't hit me. It was the guy fighting his partner next to us missing his partner & hitting me! Neither of these grown adults ever owned up to being the guy who threw the kick(And 1 was a lawyer!)

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sprainded wrist (sparring, poor block)
broken toe (drills, dont really know how it happened...it just did)
multiple black eyes (sparring, heat of battle someone lets up on their control, no ones perfect)
torn ACL (not a MA injury but it took a couple classes and a belt test to figure it out :p)

B

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worst was a broken big toe, I'm not kidding it hurt more than anything else. The ribs and broker arm did not compare to that toe.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aside from the constantly sore joints that come from aikido practice...evulsion fracture of the foot, just rolled it wrong during a drill.
Hyper-extended both thumbs pretty badly, spraining the ulnar colateral ligament. The worst one was the foot though. I continued to train on it for about half an hour after the incident...hey, it was a MacEwen seminar and it's the only injury taken in the dojo that's put me out of training for more than a day or two.

The joys of training in a "soft" art :uhyeah: