Your thoughts on the downward position of a knife...

Reaction score
I noticed that there are not to many double edged blades in the Philippines. And from what i know about the rest of the SE Asian area, I don't see many double edged knives there either. there are some but not as many that are single edged. Many of the swords have some sort of edge on the spine for certain strategic purposes but not so much the knives. Hmmm, I wonder why that is.

Most short blades are better as stabbing weapons as far as damage capability is concerned because the cutting surface is too short for slicing or hacking. To increase cutting surface, many double edged blades are waved to some extent such as the Kris and Kalis. Curving a blade (with a single edge) is another way to increase cutting surface, such as with a kukri. Here's a site with some nice pics of the variety of short blades employed in FMA. I have no knowledge of the school (so don't ask me questions about it)< but the pics are pretty nice.
http://www.marcialtirada.net/traditional_filipino_weapons

OP
R

Ron Kosakowski

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Most short blades are better as stabbing weapons as far as damage capability is concerned because the cutting surface is too short for slicing or hacking. To increase cutting surface, many double edged blades are waved to some extent such as the Kris and Kalis. Curving a blade (with a single edge) is another way to increase cutting surface, such as with a kukri. Here's a site with some nice pics of the variety of short blades employed in FMA. I have no knowledge of the school (so don't ask me questions about it)< but the pics are pretty nice.
http://www.marcialtirada.net/traditional_filipino_weapons

Those are the old pictures that were on my website before my TFW web site as redone. The guy asked me if he could set up a web page and give me credit for it and I gave him a written go ahead in e-mail. I can't remember his style though he told me what it was. That was i think, 3 years ago, maybe more.

Reaction score
Those are the old pictures that were on my website before my TFW web site as redone. The guy asked me if he could set up a web page and give me credit for it and I gave him a written go ahead in e-mail. I can't remember his style though he told me what it was. That was i think, 3 years ago, maybe more.

Wow, small world huh? Cool pics man.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I'm holding the knife in reverse-grip, the edge faces in. In fact, the folder I carry (Spyderco P'kal seen in my profile pic) is specifically designed for reverse-grip edge-in, or forward-grip edge-up use.

The ability to shear an opponent's limbs is nice. However, the biggest advantage of this method, IMO is being able to stab in and violently rip out creating a much larger wound than a short bladed knife would otherwise be capable of.

OP
R

Ron Kosakowski

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If I'm holding the knife in reverse-grip, the edge faces in. In fact, the folder I carry (Spyderco P'kal seen in my profile pic) is specifically designed for reverse-grip edge-in, or forward-grip edge-up use.

The ability to shear an opponent's limbs is nice. However, the biggest advantage of this method, IMO is being able to stab in and violently rip out creating a much larger wound than a short bladed knife would otherwise be capable of.
I have seen that knife just in pictures though. How is the feel of it in both grips? Is there anything you don't like in the Sperco P'kal knife.

I have been wanting to see what that feels like. I don't know anyone that owns one.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen that knife just in pictures though. How is the feel of it in both grips? Is there anything you don't like in the Sperco P'kal knife.

I have been wanting to see what that feels like. I don't know anyone that owns one.

In the grips for which its designed (RGEI and FGEU) it's great...the G10 handles and the finger choils really lock it into your hand. If I had to pick something I don't like about it, it'd be that it's not as comfortable in "conventional" grips. However, I don't personally see this as an issue...

here's the review I wrote on it after I got it:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56842&highlight=p'kal

OP
R

Ron Kosakowski

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In the grips for which its designed (RGEI and FGEU) it's great...the G10 handles and the finger choils really lock it into your hand. If I had to pick something I don't like about it, it'd be that it's not as comfortable in "conventional" grips. However, I don't personally see this as an issue...

here's the review I wrote on it after I got it:
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56842&highlight=p'kal
Interesting article. You got my curiosity going on that particular knife. I am sure I will come across someone that owns one some day. Right now, I am very happy with my Cold Steel Schimitar. I am very comfortable with it. However, it does not feel good in pakal position at all. But I like everything else about it. Perhaps I will do a review on it here when I get more time.

Skpotamus

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We've been playing with this grip for a while now and whil I really liked it, it didn't work with my carry knife all that well (cold steel voyager). With the Ray Floro thrusting work, you get the same range in the pikal grip as you do a Filipino grip (basically a hammer grip) and just a little less than a saber, with the added ability to cut and tear more effectivley in the clinch and on the ground.

My wife especially liked it and wanted a knife that would work better than the benchmade she was carrying with that grip. So a search began for a knife that would work better with it. I liked the looks of the pikal from spyderco, but didn't like the price. She liked the looks of the Spyderco Delica knives, so I got her the waved version and waved trainer. She really likes it. She;s gotten scary good with it as well. She can draw the trainer from just about any position, standing sitting, mounted, holding guard, etc and start using it immediately in the pikal grip. Damned hard to defend against the way she uses it (close contact range). A lot of the time you don't realize she even has the trainer until you feel it jab you in the ribs, rake across the inside of your arm, thigh or neck.

I liked the feel of the delica wave and the efficiency of how well she used it, so I decided to try out the endura wave for myself (longer blade). Both knives work great and I didn't have to take a grinder and file to a regular knife to make a trainer.

I highly recommend either knife for someone using the pikal grip without costing an arm and a leg.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the reverse grip, but i've played with it and it has it's uses. I guess edge out or edge in would depend a lot on the strategy employed and the knife designed.

I've got a knife in my collection called a 'pocket Hobbit', made by REKAT, which is a folder version of the 'Hobbit Warrior' fighting knife.......it comes in a belt case designed to be drawn in reverse grip.

The knife is designed to be held sharp edge forward, and is back swept......on the back side is entirely serrated for trapping.

It's an interesting knife, though i've never used the reverse grip too often.......though the 'Hobbit Warrior' certainly shows great potential if one is interesting in using that grip to maximum effectiveness. http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/HobbitWarrior.asp

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The title of this thread can be confusing.

I am looking to see what you folks out there prefer when holding the knife in what we call Pakal position. I have also heard the term, ice pick, or earth position...I am sure you get the picture. My question is, where do you like your blade cutting edge facing in that position, facing in or facing out? I am curious what most folks are comfortable with or what you were taught in your particular style of knife fighting if you were in one.

This may be an interesting thread.

It's an excellent way to hold the knife. Unlike what many would think, you can thrust with it quite well and very fast. And if it's a single edge, you can use it to block as well as slash as well as stab.

Deaf

Latest Discussions