Your Rights Online: Gamer Claims Identifying As a Lesbian Led To Xbox Live Ban

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your Rights Online: Gamer Claims Identifying As a Lesbian Led To Xbox Live Ban on Wednesday February 25, @04:24PM

Posted by timothy on Wednesday February 25, @04:24PM
from the you-have-crossed-the-line-ma'am dept.

Goatbert writes "I just read on the Consumerist about an XBOX Live user being banned for identifying herself as a lesbian. Despite appeals, Microsoft has stood by its position that merely mentioning that you are gay or lesbian is grounds for terminating your XBOX Live membership."
http://slashdot.org/#

Read More...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
*facepalm*

I am shocked -- shocked! -- to learn that there are some things Micro$oft won't do for money.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
...and one Jewish guy was banned for having "Jew" in his screen name.

Thank Cthulhu my first name isn't "Gaylord".

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This from a company that used to allow employees to work in the nude.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is not about Microsoft, its about lawyers and overboard protectionism.

Its about a world where an Illegal Alien can come onto your property and damage your home, but if you detain them for arrest you have to pay 70k in damages.

Microsoft is a target. Its only a matter of time before some Mommy sues them because her son played Grandtheft Auto with Gaylord Lesbian Licker

Cuz, GTA is appropriate, but "Gay" and "Lesbian" isnt.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm under the assumption that Microsoft would have their customers use sexless avatars while they are playing on that network.

I get that it decreases liability for the company.

But Cryo does point out the irony in the fact that while kids can play a violent sociopath that picks up prostitutes, steals cars, and uses a variety of firearms to shoot at police officers, it's NOT okay to point out one's personal sexual orientation.

It could be seen that Microsoft would rather gamers visit their online community to play, and not socialize with sexual overtones.

Can the Internet be gender-less? Free of immediate sexual orientation? Yeah, it can. But that sort of thing might allow predators to come into contact with children.

It could also mean that this is a swat at preventing sexual harassment online; which can prove detrimental to overall sales. If a person listed as "gay" gets harassed in-game, what does that say about harassing a heterosexual person in a predominantly gay game room? Again, this might be an attempt to squash that sort of behavior and return the gamers to their game.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm under the assumption that Microsoft would have their customers use sexless avatars while they are playing on that network.

I get that it decreases liability for the company.

But Cryo does point out the irony in the fact that while kids can play a violent sociopath that picks up prostitutes, steals cars, and uses a variety of firearms to shoot at police officers, it's NOT okay to point out one's personal sexual orientation.

It could be seen that Microsoft would rather gamers visit their online community to play, and not socialize with sexual overtones.

Can the Internet be gender-less? Free of immediate sexual orientation? Yeah, it can. But that sort of thing might allow predators to come into contact with children.

It could also mean that this is a swat at preventing sexual harassment online; which can prove detrimental to overall sales. If a person listed as "gay" gets harassed in-game, what does that say about harassing a heterosexual person in a predominantly gay game room? Again, this might be an attempt to squash that sort of behavior and return the gamers to their game.

But the point and purpose of these online gaming communities is the ability to socialize around a game. That is why they are profitable. I play games on pogo.com all the time which is run by another gaming giant, Electronic Arts.

There are game rooms marked for all kinds of interests, from book reading to staying up late, to gay themes, to "uncensored chat" which can either be tame or raunchy, depending on who is in the room. There are many players that have expressed their relationship status and/or orientation. I have yet to hear of EA coming under fire, and Pogo has no shortage of players.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is not about Microsoft, its about lawyers and overboard protectionism.

Its about a world where an Illegal Alien can come onto your property and damage your home, but if you detain them for arrest you have to pay 70k in damages.

Microsoft is a target. Its only a matter of time before some Mommy sues them because her son played Grandtheft Auto with Gaylord Lesbian Licker

Cuz, GTA is appropriate, but "Gay" and "Lesbian" isnt.

No, it has nothing to do with any of that. This is a hamfisted attempt to curtail gender, sexual and race-based trash talking that is rampant on XBox Live, particularly in certain games like Call of Duty or Gears of War that draw in the 13 year old boy demographic. Being called a "fag" constantly by a snot nosed kid does get annoying.

Of course, this is absolutely the wrong way to go about it, but the overall desire is sound.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate here... Do we know for a fact that this was just because of a gamer tag? Or, like a member we once had here, did every in-game chat have to include a reference to her sexuality?
Over the top, but this is what I mean:
[yt]VZDeAMNIXg8[/yt]

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, it has nothing to do with any of that. This is a hamfisted attempt to curtail gender, sexual and race-based trash talking that is rampant on XBox Live, particularly in certain games like Call of Duty or Gears of War that draw in the 13 year old boy demographic. Being called a "fag" constantly by a snot nosed kid does get annoying.

Of course, this is absolutely the wrong way to go about it, but the overall desire is sound.

Hmm. Do you really think MS cares? Or are they trying to maximize profits while Minimizing lawsuits?

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Of course it's hamfisted. Who wants to spend time and money to develop a cool video game system only to find out that now you have to spend more time and more money to babysit the users and keep them from throwing "ha ha ur a fagg lol" insults at each other?