Your Pre-emptive Strike

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realize I've used up my 'one' post, but have been plagued by not mentioning another scenario/response, so I'm going outside the box and posting a second favorite. :uhyeah:

If aggressor is crowding me, or advancing (even better), with my arms at my sides, quick back of hand slap to groin (be sure to move your head to the side as you strike, to avoid his inadvertent head butt). Followup as he bends over is just raising back of your elbow into his chin/face. And if you want to sweep or hock for the takedown, makes it a nice 1-2-3 technique. Works especially well against street wannabes, who generally use the 'boxing' model, so aren't covered down there.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last time (maybe four years back) that I was in a situation wherein I felt a pre-emptive strike was justified by the other fellows words, body language, and proximity (i.e. up in my face) where no weapons were apparent, I used a right hook to the jaw. Didn't really think about it too much, once I decided violence was inevitable and that I wasn't going to wait for him to hit me first, I just went with the easiest technique that I figured would be effective in the distance (close in). Worked like a charm, he went down like the proverbial ton of bricks. Unfortunately he had several friends nearby. It took me and my one friend a few minutes of scrapping to extricate ourselves and vamoose, but it came out alright.

If there had been a little more distance or he had been more alert for an incoming attack and less involved in posturing and intimidation, I probably would have snapped off a quick jab then followed up with a more appropriate fight ending strike: knee, elbow, etc.

Latest Discussions