Your Pre-emptive Strike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the scenario. You are in a confrontation. Talking your way out is not working and its apparent you're going to have to fight. Rather than wait for this person to throw his strike and you react off of that, you choose to pre-empt the situation. What is your best technique/move for this? You want this to be quick and efficient.:ultracool

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
From hands on hips position, web hand to throat. If he's already moving, or I need a distraction, I throw up my open hands in a placating way and yell 'I don't wanna fight' simultaneously using a toe kick to groin, knee, shin, or inside of thigh. This works just as well while backing up--even better, because any body shift is disguised. A close second in hand strikes (to web hand) would be thrust punch to the groin as I drop to low stance under his radar.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Without changing my body language or eye contact position, a short multi chambered fist strike to the solar plexis area. This would be followed by a Judo type throw or double legged sweep.
:ultracool

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great replies! :)

From a non threatening hands up position, finger jab to the eyes, followed up by a rear hand strike such as a cross or palm to the face. Kicks...I like the idea of keeping a slightly bladed stance, with feet in a natural position. Kick to the shin or groin followed up by striking.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From the hands up compliant position, step out to 10 o, clock and deliver a right cross to the jaw right below the ear.

Another favorite is to hit with a right cross to the sternum as hard as I can while shifting my weight to the front leg. People don't expect a sternum shot as much as they do a face or stomach shot and it's damn near impossible to flex enough to make it not hurt unless you've got huge pectoral muscles.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man you guys are violent. The finger jab to the eyes might get you locked up even though you may feel threatened. It could be construed as excessive when it is the initiated contact between the parties. Depends.

Consider your legal right to strike first when threatened. In places like California, an 'assault' does not include physical contact, but the mere 'threat coupled with present ability to carry out the threat.' If 'contact' is made, it becomes a 'battery.' So hitting first is legally acceptable, just be sure you 'defense' is reasonable under the circumstances.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
LawDog's has the air of experience and practicality :)

Depends on how serious it is. Once I stopped of fight by smiling gently, looking the guy right in the eye and grabbing his nuts firmly but without any hesitation. Got him willing to negotiate...

In a slightly more serious situation I just looked mournful and regretful and jammed a thumb into one of the guys' eyes. Worked a charm on the rest of them. And he was very distracted.

In my very limited experience an effective and unexpected attack to the eyes or goolies - not a kick, but something that indicates you aren't bothered by getting up close and really personal - raises the stakes considerably.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the scenario. You are in a confrontation. Talking your way out is not working and its apparent you're going to have to fight. Rather than wait for this person to throw his strike and you react off of that, you choose to pre-empt the situation. What is your best technique/move for this? You want this to be quick and efficient.:ultracool
First thing's first; take out the lead leg.
Sean

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man you guys are violent. The finger jab to the eyes might get you locked up even though you may feel threatened. It could be construed as excessive when it is the initiated contact between the parties. Depends.

Consider your legal right to strike first when threatened. In places like California...hitting first is legally acceptable, just be sure you 'defense' is reasonable under the circumstances.

Good advice. Also, I've seen guys locked up for groin shots. Seems it's considered a vital point by CA law now. Still, a 'shadowless' kick to the groin is one of my better moves, so I'd use it if needed.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great replies! In todays world, no matter what you do, there is always a chance of problems. Is a lock a viable move? Sure. Worse case scenario, I tend to fall back on the motto, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great replies! In todays world, no matter what you do, there is always a chance of problems. Is a lock a viable move? Sure. Worse case scenario, I tend to fall back on the motto, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Plus (in honor of Pirates of the Carribean):" Dead men tell no tales."

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Plus (in honor of Pirates of the Carribean):" Dead men tell no tales."

I know you mean it as a joke, but there's a chance that someone impressionable will take you seriously.

It's absolutely NOT true. People end up in prison all the time because dead men did tell tales that the police listened to and the jury believed. And if you make the choice to kill someone because it means he won't be around to testify against you, then you are a murderous monster and deserve to be in jail. It really is that simple.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know you mean it as a joke, but there's a chance that someone impressionable will take you seriously.

It's absolutely NOT true. People end up in prison all the time because dead men did tell tales that the police listened to and the jury believed. And if you make the choice to kill someone because it means he won't be around to testify against you, then you are a murderous monster and deserve to be in jail. It really is that simple.
Only people who are impressionable enough to be influenced by Disney Pirates are in danger of taking me seriously. Chill.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish that were true. Unfortunately, a fair number of what would have been good shoots have turned into convictions because people believed exactly that. They put another bullet into the bad guy because they thought it would prevent troubles with the police later in if there were only one side to the story.

The only time I told a Black Belt that he was full of **** (in exactly those words) in front of his class was over just that. He said that in a fight you should consider killing your attacker so that the bad guy couldn't sue you or get you in legal trouble.

You put limits on human stupidity. That is never a safe thing to do :(