Your opinions needed!!!

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
For the first one it is IMPOSSIBLE and again I say IMPOSSIBLE to learn Wing Chun from videos, you can not do it, there are many subtleties within the system that can only be learnt through one on one teaching. And even the basics can only be covered partly well in a class situation. This video course is nothing more than a money spinner for this guy.

The second one I dont know the quality of the art or the instructor (well I kind of do but I dont wnt to start flame wars on this forum [cause its da bomb]).

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1.All wing chun is suppposed to be for "combat"
2. WIng chun has alot of stuff that has to be felt in order to learn it, mechanical imitation will only get you so far and not very far.
3. I remember b4 I started learning wing chun I bought some books, the books might as well have been about karate , after I began to learn wing chun I saw how really basic the books were ,in other words not worth much use both b4 and after I started learning.
4. There are some styles where what you see is what you get and you can pick up some stuff from books/ videos
5. YOu have to check out as many wing chun schools as possible because there is a wide range of quality and interpretation.
6. Dont fall for the lineage "stuff" .

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
The second one I dont know the quality of the art or the instructor (well I kind of do but I dont wnt to start flame wars on this forum [cause its da bomb]).

Please chime in. I like to hear different opinions.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
brothershaw said:
1.All wing chun is suppposed to be for "combat"
2. WIng chun has alot of stuff that has to be felt in order to learn it, mechanical imitation will only get you so far and not very far.
3. I remember b4 I started learning wing chun I bought some books, the books might as well have been about karate , after I began to learn wing chun I saw how really basic the books were ,in other words not worth much use both b4 and after I started learning.
4. There are some styles where what you see is what you get and you can pick up some stuff from books/ videos
5. YOu have to check out as many wing chun schools as possible because there is a wide range of quality and interpretation.
6. Dont fall for the lineage "stuff" .

Thanks alot. I will keep all this in mind for sure along with what ed said.

What made u choose wing chun?
I can say at first I did get caught up in the lineage and it is hard to too.
It seems like the thing that all schools emphasize more than anything else.
What made u choose your school over others?

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Thanks alot. I will keep all this in mind for sure along with what ed said.

What made u choose wing chun?
I can say at first I did get caught up in the lineage and it is hard to too.
It seems like the thing that all schools emphasize more than anything else.
What made u choose your school over others?

Why I chose wing chun-
I tried karate twice it wasnt quite me. I met a guy who did kenpo/kempo I asked for a demo ( he was like a brown belt i think). I punched, he blocked and did a low strike to the stomach at the same time. I was impressed ( at the time) and said to myself anything I study has to have both hands working at once. I also saw somebody working a wooden dummy in a movie, and said hey that would be really good for my coordination. So I decided anything I studied would have to have 2 hands working at once and the wooden man. THat led me to wing chun I never knew bruce lee used to do it and didnt care and still dont.
I chose my school because they make you do alot of conditioning stuff in class like my old karate schools I felt that was also important. Most people wont exercise on thier own so the people who arent forced to in class will be in poor shape. I have always been a bit of an exercise nut.

Lineage-ALot of people like to claim they have the real deal, and unfortunately there are no semi unversal standards like there are in judo or even karate to some degree.
The main thing is does the stuff look like it will actually work even against other martial artists? Does the teacher have the ability to pass on what he knows?
Check out many schools, even checkout schools of styles you are not interested in , it will give you a broader picture of what good martial arts look like, how they move etc.

Latest Discussions