Your opinions needed!!!

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds liek a crap way to learn to me....I am sure that the masters are quite good..but the method of learning is crap!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
Sounds liek a crap way to learn to me....I am sure that the masters are quite good..but the method of learning is crap!

the first one you mean?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I came across these two ways of training.
Please give me your opinion on both.

1. http://www.yipwingchun.com/homestudy.html

2. http://www.combatwc.com/english.html (Make sure to check the media section....they have plenty of video clips to look at which might aide your opinion as well.)

I humbly thank you all for your help.

I don't think i'd feel comfortable relying on videos for the most part of my training, i only ever tend to use videos for reference to my training, the second link seems interesting.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Master Terence Yip

http://www.cebridge.com.au/Yipman/
List Terrence Yip, Yip Pui as a student of Yip Chun

I am not a Wing Chun guy, but I always doubt mail order martial arts.

He is a genuine disciple of yip chun but i do find this approach an odd way to learn a hands on martial art.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
the first one you mean?

You would be more qualified to say that, then I...I am only going on what I saw!

I dont have a problem with MA...but I do have a problem with distance learning for MA!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
He is a genuine disciple of yip chun but i do find this approach an odd way to learn a hands on martial art.

I agree whole heartedly.

Please forgive the spelling if I am wrong, but how do you learn Chi Sau from a video

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ed and others, Terrance Yip would probably be a great person to learn from I must agree with you all that mail order MA is not the way to go. It did look interesting though to learn it.

What do u all think of the second link though? That is close to me and they meet 3x a week for 2 hours each time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
What do u all think of the second link though? That is close to me and they meet 3x a week for 2 hours each time.

Not being a Wing Chun Guy I am not qualified to comment on good or bad here.

That I leave to the rest, but isn't all Wing Chun was for combat?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
You would be more qualified to say that, then I...I am only going on what I saw!

I dont have a problem with MA...but I do have a problem with distance learning for MA!

How am i more qualified to say wether you meant the first link or not?!!?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I agree whole heartedly.

Please forgive the spelling if I am wrong, but how do you learn Chi Sau from a video

The way i see this kind of outfit is it would be used by people who already have experienced wing chun and learnt it for a while but wish to gain a more marketable lineage - which i feel is a waste of time but people will buy into it because they may feel that they are somehow getting closer to the "source". Its quite a common thing for people to affiliate themselves with other masters after they have made initial training elsewhere. If you were starting from square one i have no idea how you'd learn wing chun from a video.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Ed and others, Terrance Yip would probably be a great person to learn from I must agree with you all that mail order MA is not the way to go. It did look interesting though to learn it.

I think its worth checking that one out.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Not being a Wing Chun Guy I am not qualified to comment on good or bad here.

That I leave to the rest, but isn't all Wing Chun was for combat?

You could focus on combat orientated wing chun, some schools tend not to so much, at least not as much as they should or could - so the name may be a comment on that perhaps there were other schools in the area that weren't offering that. It also dictates the type of people that you get through the door, some people may be looking for something less in your face initially - perhaps they are timid or less confident inthemselves in the out set. Just my thoughts on that one.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
You could focus on combat orientated wing chun, some schools tend not to so much, at least not as much as they should or could - so the name may be a comment on that perhaps there were other schools in the area that weren't offering that. It also dictates the type of people that you get through the door, some people may be looking for something less in your face initially - perhaps they are timid or less confident inthemselves in the out set. Just my thoughts on that one.
I didnt know that there was like 2 different types of WC (meaning "combat" and non combative) I hate to say non combative b/c WC is combative but just needed something to go against the combative part. From the video section he looks very skilled. I wil have to check out a class cause being skilled and being an effective teacher are 2 different things. Wouldnt anyone set out to find WC though know that it is more of a in your face type style though?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I didnt know that there was like 2 different types of WC (meaning "combat" and non combative) I hate to say non combative b/c WC is combative but just needed something to go against the combative part. From the video section he looks very skilled. I wil have to check out a class cause being skilled and being an effective teacher are 2 different things. Wouldnt anyone set out to find WC though know that it is more of a in your face type style though?

there is not two different types of wing chun in that sense, its just that certain teachers may teach in a different way and market themselves to a different crowd.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
there is not two different types of wing chun in that sense, its just that certain teachers may teach in a different way and market themselves to a different crowd.

Oh ok I didnt know that. I know with TKD some teachers may market themselves as sport TKD to get those interested in doing tournments and stuff while others may market more the self defense aspect and dont focus on tournaments.
What different marketing things have you come across with different schools in how they market WC?

I have been reading up more and more on WC and didnt know how big politics played a role in it. Almost sad to a certain extent. A real soap opera that kind of casts a big cloud over a art that is really nice.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
How am i more qualified to say wether you meant the first link or not?!!?

Sorry I mis understood you... I thought you were saying that only the first one was good......I meant that you would be a better judge of which school was better being a WC practitioner!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Oh ok I didnt know that. I know with TKD some teachers may market themselves as sport TKD to get those interested in doing tournments and stuff while others may market more the self defense aspect and dont focus on tournaments.
What different marketing things have you come across with different schools in how they market WC?

I have been reading up more and more on WC and didnt know how big politics played a role in it. Almost sad to a certain extent. A real soap opera that kind of casts a big cloud over a art that is really nice.

There are tonnes of different approaches in teaching, marketing and everything really, its all down to the individual really. Without going through everything i've ever seen i'd say this is about as extreme as i've seen it get from one end of the scale.

http://home.clara.net/buddhistwingchun/

on the other end, well its just a matter of finding the teacher that is most clued up as to using wing chun in real combat situations, i know of a few accelerated programs that are connected with UK military and i've heard of many other special forces or police forces using wing chun in their training.

Wing chun politics, don't get me started!!

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
Sorry I mis understood you... I thought you were saying that only the first one was good......I meant that you would be a better judge of which school was better being a WC practitioner!

Perhaps, but i've never seen the videos so i don't even know how good they are!

Latest Discussions