your most effective move

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great link, thanks. I would call that a hock with high push or strike (like web palm to throat). The outer reaping throw makes it a hip throw, tho, and without any extra movement. Nice.

It also includes, in addition to the pushing/strike with one hand, a pulling motion with the other.

So you are pulling all their weight to one leg, and then sweeping that leg out from under them. Feet go high, head and shoulders smack ground HARD.

Not quite the same as a hip throw in which the hip is used as a fulcrum: different mechanics in that throw

(fwiw, a true "hip throw" actually has both people facing the same way, but I think I know what you are talking about: we also do that - use hip as fulcrum but thrower/receiver are facing each other).

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
It also includes, in addition to the pushing/strike with one hand, a pulling motion with the other.

So you are pulling all their weight to one leg, and then sweeping that leg out from under them. Feet go high, head and shoulders smack ground HARD.

Hmmm...Interesting. This is a good 'twist' (no pun!) on my 'striker' mentality, which naturally uses limited throws. Am going to add it to my toolbox. Appreciate it.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
People I almost feel sorry I haven't had any streetfights, so now I cannot answer....

Anyway...if there is people around I would probably start yelling "fire, fire, fire..." (if you yell for help majority of people turn their backs to you).

If I am alone I would probably get down on my knees and start crying. This would be a great move for an Aikidoka coz if the tears won't work they can still fight from Seiza. Of course it wouldn't work for me coz I have not a clue on how to fight from seiza, so after the tears it would come the beat up....ouch!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyway...if there is people around I would probably start yelling "fire, fire, fire..." (if you yell for help majority of people turn their backs to you).

That isa very effective technique and it does work wonderfully. I once had a EPAK instructor say that people would drive several miles to see a good fire, but they would not walk 10 feet to make a call to help someone in trouble.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

My grandma passed this gem on to us a children. A great thing to keep in mind.

Latest Discussions