your most effective move

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would have to say "reverse punch" either to solar plexus or the head/face.

When in doubt, stick to the basics — and it doesn't get any more basic than reverse punch!

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
in my few street experiences, i had good luck with wrapping the right arm up with my left and doing bad things to the face with my free arm.

Yeah, I love that one--they have few options, you have many (face, and throat)

bouncing, i got a lot of milage by standing there looking good while the (much) larger members of my team got behind the guy.

But I love that one more.:uhyeah:

wayofhandandfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
reverse punch - nose, chin,
front kick - groin or shin
Knife hand - temple throat

rather not grab anyone in street. Don't want to be tusseling, ground and pounding while his friend has a free attack on me.

If grabbed - ranger and lapel choke.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
reverse punch - nose, chin,
front kick - groin or shin
Knife hand - temple throat

rather not grab anyone in street. Don't want to be tusseling, ground and pounding while his friend has a free attack on me.

If grabbed - ranger and lapel choke.

Right on the money every time, it looks to me. Simple, instinctive and effective when trained right. I would just add:

turn inside and deflect with forearm 1, then strike to neck/throat with hand 1, then hair/ear grip with hand 1, then very hard elbow strike to the face with the arm 2. Repeat the last move as necessary. Very unpleasant for the attacker.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first move in the basic EPAK freestyle set. Grab your opponent's lead wrist with your lead hand, and rotate to bring it down to your hip. Pulls them down and across, making a head strike easy. The thing is, even when you know this is coming, it's so fast it's hard to avoid. Seems to work everytime. At least in my experience. Of course, this is all sparring too, not something "real".

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Pre-fight it's a stare down. I just stand there looking confident and ready and it's usually enough to convince them to back off. So far it's been 100% effective for me. Not something that would work for everybody though.

Sparring wise it's my hooks. Simple, sharp and efficient.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Something that will quickly release you out of a bear hug is a rear head butt which i used on some a@@hole who grabbed me. This was in my teenage days! Nothing else worked so I went for the backward head butt and he quickly let go. He had the audacity to try to head butt the back of my head but i didn't want it to go any further as I wasn't trained that well so just walked off!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've only ever once been in a fight, it was while I was at school, I just grabbed a handful of her hair and smacked her head against the floor after she tripped me up... she let me go very quickly.

I've been in a face off with a very big bloke though, he was trying to get in our offices and got past the security guard, I just stood there with a confident defiant look on my face, arms crossed and legs planted shoulder width apart and kept telling him to leave. Eventually his confidence went, he backed off and left shouting obscenities over his shoulder. People in the office called me mental for doing it, but to me, I was saving the security guard from getting the sack and he's my friend. (I'm 5'5" and was about 115 lbs at the time)

So in short, the face off.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For me, it's been my mouth.... One altercation I had wrapped his right arm with my left arm and told him I'd "break his ****ing arm" if he didn't stop now. Another altercation with a much larger man in a barroom bathroom had me laying underneath him on the floor after having delivered a flurry of well placed elbow strikes to his nose. He was busy trying to nail down my arms to turn my face into pudding when I spied an acquaintance finishing up at a urinal. The fellow on me was from out of town (how the fight started, long story), and I implored to the acquaintance that I'd spied to please "help out a local" here - he came over and restrained the large fellow long enough for me to wiggle my skinny **** out of there.

So, my mouth has been able to finish 2 altercations for me. It is, however, a double edged sword, as my mouth has gotten me into more trouble than it's gotten me out of....

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
Pre-fight it's a stare down. I just stand there looking confident and ready and it's usually enough to convince them to back off. So far it's been 100% effective for me. Not something that would work for everybody though.

its all in the staredown!:mst: i do mine wanderlei silva style, works for me

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keeping your mouth shut...#1
Picking your fights...#2
Running if necessary...#3
Good friends...#4
And an actual technique...left jab. Works in the ring, the street or the bar. Most people are right handed and they will throw a right punch, usually looping, as an opening technique. The left jab beats the right as an opening move every time.

Love #1-4. Repeat as necessary?? :ultracool

Drunken_Boxer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Uff I hadnt a streetfight couple months ago man...but I think the most effective move is a side kick to his rips...that hurts sooo badly,or even a elbow strike move,round house or a high kick...thats very very effective and useful in a streetfight!

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Crane technique. If do right, no can defense.

Cheers
Sam:asian:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
palm slap (power slap, double slap) to side of head, most practiced too

palm heel to chin too

Glad to see that others see how powerful, effective, and quick the open hand is (muscles in forearm aren't fighting each other; have some padding between your striking hand and bad guys hard head). So, it's quick, powerful, and doesn't damge my hand--and, with hand open, can follow up with any type of move (not just a closed fist strike). Good post samurai69! :ultracool

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, real answer (this question keeps plaguing me, so here it is):

Sparring: finding the best seat before someone else takes it. Not a kick boxer, point fighter, or grappler-for-fun (but am an avid spectator). :)

San soo practice or Real Deal: Low kick, combined/followed with depending on how first strike positions him--even if it's just a feint: if he's upright: high tiger rakes/traps/throw; or, second kick, to knee or thigh (he's pretty much immobile at that point); or, combat slap to side of head/knife hand to base of neck (should fell him, even result in knockout).

If he's bent over from first low kick, well....sky's the limit (hammer fists and dropping elbows are favorites). The theme of my follow up strikes/throws is to let my body do the work, instead of just arm strength. Less is more (less movement is more effective). And you can probably tell my motto is the old favorite: Every fight ends on the ground--for him. (I don't want to roll around with some guy in the debris and detritus of the alley, driveway or street). :wink:

Senin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Every fight is different so every start will be different.

Generally in the United States, people take a boxing stance when they square off. Then it can be punches (jabs) or lots of haymakers. This mentality begs for the low kicks. Kick to the groin (number one) or kick to the knees or thighs. Then it kinda depends on the reaction. But generally, something to the face-- fingers to face particulary eyes. Slap to the face as a stunner. Palm to the ears. Once the beast is disoriented, the heavy artillery can start. Punches, or possibly an osoto gari.