your most effective move

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
wow...that's a really open question.

in competition, it depended on the competition:

wrestling, i won a lot of matches with a granby throw, although i think really i won most matches by being in better shape (this was in high school and i ran cross country the season before. most wrestlers did football. if it made it to the third round they were meat).

kickboxing i couldn't really tell you. maybe a front thrust kick after i had them staggering back. never really had a kill shot there -- just wore them down.

tournament sparring it was always preprogramming them. do a combo three times in a row, then throw another combo that starts the same but takes advantage of them trying to counter combo a.

in my few street experiences, i had good luck with wrapping the right arm up with my left and doing bad things to the face with my free arm.

bouncing, i got a lot of milage by standing there looking good while the (much) larger members of my team got behind the guy.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
As of today, for me, there is no one technique that has been more effective than any other. I have used different techniques that have all been effective, but I don't rely on on a single technique in a fight. I am not saying I have never done a one shot knockout, but it is extremely difficult to pull off. There is one technique that always seems to come into use, both as a knockout shot and as a lead into another technique. That technique is a lead side jab. It seems to allow me to set up about any other technique.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty fit and do triathlons so runjitsu is my best technique.
Cheers
Sam:asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย;699323 said:
hi , this post have probably been done to death so please stab me a couple of times if it has.

this post is for those that have been in fights (real or competition) , what has been the most effective technique for you?

mine has to be knees from the clinch

whats yours?

Ideally, it depends on what the what the other person is doing. I've had success with a backfist, a front kick, a side kick and a few times with a spinning back kick. As I said, I like to base my response off of what they're doing. :)

Mike

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to say any technique from Beat-Feet-Fu works the best. If that isn't an option, I can't really pick one that I have used consistantly. Just whatever presents itself at the time, I try to take advantage of.

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With out a doubt,the Shin kick! It is the single most technique that I train the most,so it has become the one I excel at the most.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I asked my wife. She threw open her bathrobe. I was distracted. She could have gotten in at least one free shot. Hammer. Nail. Bang. :)

pankration

White Belt
Reaction score
Keeping your mouth shut...#1
Picking your fights...#2
Running if necessary...#3
Good friends...#4
And an actual technique...left jab. Works in the ring, the street or the bar. Most people are right handed and they will throw a right punch, usually looping, as an opening technique. The left jab beats the right as an opening move every time.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
palm slap (power slap, double slap) to side of head, most practiced too

palm heel to chin too

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
In sparring the side kick usually works fine against almost every opponent. On the ground my favourite is applying a RNC.

A front kick to the stomach has worked for me in real situations. It can make people jump back and give you room to escape, or if it hits make them double over presenting the head for a follow up punch. The head butt is brutal but may very well suprise your opponent and save you in a close situation.

Of course the far better tools for self defense are your mind, your running skills and your voice.

JerryL

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In real fights? Stalling and getting in my car.
In sparring? Bait and switch.
In theory? My subcompact .40 (haven't had to pull it to find out).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In a real fight? Not being there - avoidance is a great defense! Second line of defense: RUN

In sparring? Back kick... lots of people think it's too slow and don't use it or look out for it.

sazahko

White Belt
Reaction score
Two words: Tactical nuke. ;)

But seriously...I think I'm gonna go with Kacey and say avoidance. After all, the point of self defense is to not get hurt, right?

-S

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
In sparring a simple hinge move at the last moment and striking my opponent to his head as well as a side kick.

In a real fight. palm strikes to the face and using my legs for both kicking and hocks/sweeps.

Senin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Head butt.

Little used-- underated-- very effective.

Latest Discussions