Your instructor's instructor

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For Taekwondo students, how much do you know about your instructor's instructor? Do your instructor mention that person (what they were like, or even their name)? Have you met that person?

I realize that not every instructor is an open person, or may want to say much about their instructor for various reasons. I've had some who never say a word about the person who taught them, and others who say things like, "Master 'X' loved this technique and we did it often."

What's your experience been?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We actually got to train some with our instructor's instructor up until he passed away last year.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My Instructor's instructor was Jong Soo Park. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, would have loved to. Heard only good things, heard he was a very good old school TKD guy. I remember one story in particular, though. My Instructor said Jong Soo Park was the only guy he ever saw who could throw an axe kick, really fast, and stop it in mid kick - right above your nose. I would have liked to have seen that.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Sah Bum Nim's instructor, is our Kwan Jang Nim, so yes, we hear about him and see him frequently. However, my Kwan Jang Nim never speaks of his instructor. All I know is that his last name was Kim.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
To much cult like worship in my club for my liking they speak like he's a god and can do no wrong. I hate that stuff it's cringey as hell. I respect my instructor for his skills but I would never worship him like that. He's human same as me

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My teacher's current teacher is Tadashi Nakamura, founder of Seido Juku and formerly of Kyokushin fame. I've met him a few times and have attended a few mass-workouts he was leading. He's always been very friendly and approachable. And at 75 years old, he's still got it. Nearly flawless technique. Watching him perform is amazing, and no, I'm not some fanboy blinded by fame.

Just because he's still excellent physically doesn't make him a great teacher. His knowledge and ability to convey said knowledge make him a great teacher.

I haven't been to his dojo yet, but I plan on going for a class or two this summer. He's 2.5 hours drive from me. My CI and a few senior students go once a month or so, so I'm going to make it a point to tag along.

My CI's former teachers were also Nakamura's students. Excellent karateka as well. I trained under one of them during my first stint about 20 years ago. I've heard so many stories about the other guy that I feel like I've known him for years. When they left Seido, my CI stayed with Nakamura and started his own dojo.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My instructor's instructor's instructor was Moses. But, he was, you know, like a brown belt then. And those tablet things? Dojo rules.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructors instructor is our KJN. His instructor was GM KEE Hwang. After the first split of the Kwan, he trained under the new KJN GM LEE, Kang-Ik.
We see our KJN on a semi-regular basis.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Taekwondo students, how much do you know about your instructor's instructor? Do your instructor mention that person (what they were like, or even their name)? Have you met that person?

I realize that not every instructor is an open person, or may want to say much about their instructor for various reasons. I've had some who never say a word about the person who taught them, and others who say things like, "Master 'X' loved this technique and we did it often."

My primary instructor talked about his instructor a lot when I trained with him. His instructor was, incidentally, my first instructor in NGA, as well. I had opportunity to train with and under him in seminars along the way (after he moved away following my initial training with him). I also had opportunities to train under my instructor's instructor's instructor, the head of the NGAA, in seminars.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial TKD instructor, Mark Prosser's instructor was Master Jee Ho Lee, out of the ATA, whose father Grandmaster Lee started the ATA and was taught by General Choi. I worked out with Master Jee Ho once and tested for my first degree in front of him. That was neat.

In hapkido my instructor and friend was now-Master Mikhail Kuns, back in the day (early 90's). I never met his instructor, as he was a state line away which was a Long Way back then.

In Muay Thai my instructor was Mr. Tong Trithara, and I can't even pronounce who he said his teacher in Thailand was...

In judo and aikido my adult instructor was, before he retired from teaching, Ray Williams, whose instructor was none other than Karl Geis himself. I never even met Karl, but apparently he was something else.

Karl Geis - Wikipedia

The aikido rank in that is actually inaccurate, as Karl "stepped out" of the Japanese rank structure when he began Fugakukai, in which he was ranked up by the students as they needed to grow themselves until they gave him the (imo honorific) 12th Dan with the title Hanshi.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My Instructor's instructor was Jong Soo Park. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, would have loved to. Heard only good things, heard he was a very good old school TKD guy. I remember one story in particular, though. My Instructor said Jong Soo Park was the only guy he ever saw who could throw an axe kick, really fast, and stop it in mid kick - right above your nose. I would have liked to have seen that.

GM Park Jong Soo was at several IICs I attended but I think only had a uniform on at the one in 2002. He was pretty awesome and Sr. GM Sereff commented to those in attendance that if you thought he was awesome then you should have seen him 30 years earlier.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
My initial TKD instructor, Mark Prosser's instructor was Master Jee Ho Lee, out of the ATA, whose father Grandmaster Lee started the ATA and was taught by General Choi. .

HU Lee like many Pioneers was a Chung Do Kwan product later joining General Choi and adopting his system until he developed his own system. For progeny of HU Lee and the Chang Hon Sytem the CDK flavor is unmistakable.. I have a video where HU Lee took an ATA demo team to NK and sat with General Choi in the audience. I think it was 1999 or so.

Reactions: JP3

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Answer to first 3 questions - Quite a bit, yes, and yes.
Experience: I consider Sr. GM Sereff my instructor for the last 30 years. He considers General Choi to be his instructor. I went thru the instructor course with General Choi 7 times plus hosted it once. Also several Seminars. About 150 classroom hours with him.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Moses was a Jewjitsu instructor.
What's the difference between karate and judo?

Karate is a system of unarmed combat and judo is what bagels are made of. :D

(Don't get offended. One of my Jewish students told me that one.)

Latest Discussions