Your Home Gym?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:
Two wavemasters a mountain bike and a trampoline.

I bet I have more fun than you silly guys with your boring iron.

I swear that jumping really high on a big trampoline can be one of the best workouts you can get for your legs! its great! if I had the space I'd love to get one... they are fun and great exercise!

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its really good too - I used to be a gymnast until 4th grade, but I've had the trampoline forever - and everytime I go on it I do some back tucks and front tucks and stuff - and although I'm not training in gymnastics or anything, I still have some of the more basic skills because I've never stopped doing them.

JamesYazell

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Treadmill, barbells, stability ball, Century hanging classic canvas bag, Everlast freestanding bag, next is an olympic weight bench

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate starting new threads when perfectly good old ones are just lying around :lol:

Anyway, my wife and I both want to get a Bowflex (we actually have a 14' trampoline already :D ), and I seem to have found a bargain. So specifically, I'm curious if it's only me that thinks its a bargain.

I have a seller with a 6 month old Bowflex Ultimate 2 (currently $2299 with $200 shipping) with the ab attachement ($199 + $60 shipping) and the accesories pack ($169 + $40 shipping). It's local on eBay, with a 'must pick it up' tag. No problem for me as we're both in Jersey. I pointed out to him that these never seem to bring more that 1100-1200 or so, no matter the age or cost, and he told me I could have it for 1000 even! Seems like a good deal, but am I missing something? Do these actually bring less than that right out of the box used? The same thing new in box would be about 2700 bucks, and my lovely bride told me to do whatever I wanted here.

Any thoughts? We'll both be using it, though only I do MA at the moment. She hits the hour class at Lucille Roberts about 10 times a week when the kids are in school and can't go when they're off.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive got a flat bench with some adjustable dumbells and also a total gym. I wish I had a bag to work on but I will have one in the future.

B

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Russian Ketel Bells.
Clubbells.
Running shoes.
Sledgehammer.
But the most important tool, Motivation!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A number of you mentioned that you have a Bowflex. But I didn't notice any comments on whether you like it or not and would recommend one. I've been considering buying one. The advertisements are great but a dealbreaker for me would be hearing negative reviews from people that have one.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A number of you mentioned that you have a Bowflex. But I didn't notice any comments on whether you like it or not and would recommend one. I've been considering buying one. The advertisements are great but a dealbreaker for me would be hearing negative reviews from people that have one.

That's exactly why I posted yesterday :D Most responses are "just get a bench and iron, man", or "join a gym instead" which aren't really all that helpful. I'm currently negotiating a price on an Ultimate 2, so I'll let you know how it is once I get it (if I get it). If it helps, most of the people I've seen who have gotten one and used it liked it immensely. People who don't have them either hate them, think they're a poorly made gimmick, or "know someone who had one" and didn't use it.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do not have one. I work out at my gym with free weights generally. That being said, anything that gives you resistance will help you get stronger and will help build muscle. to my thinking, the price for a new bowlfex 9compared to the equivalent amount of weights and an olympic bench) is a bit steep...but Jim777 is looking used. I also think the bowflex will ahve the problem that a lot o fmachines do, that being a limit to the top amount of weight you can get (weight sets are much more expandable).

the pros are that the bowlfex, like a lot of machines is a little safer (less of aneed for a spotter with heavier weights), it allows one to do more range of motion work, and it may be easier to switch between certain excercises (so may be better for circuit type training).

I will say that a good friend of mine who is an old power lifter got one and has nothing but good things o say about it. he used it for a couple of years, although he is getting a free weight set again....he's had nothing but positive things to say about the machine.

peace,
Erik

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am now going to a weight lifting gym. It is near where I live, and is cheap, and not too fancy. This is what I prefer!

Lifting weights is almost as fun as martial arts. I am getting stronger and bigger. It is not that hard to do, apparently.

Now. I go to this gym, and from time to time there will be someone that will give some feedback, unsolicited. Though they are not my personal trainer, they will give assistance, so I learn.

Regarding home gyms, if I had the room, I would get this:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Page=search&searchId=26084870953#ReviewHeader

From the reviews, users say it is as good as Chuck Norris' Total Gym.

I know a body builder who is big as a house! He told me that the modern day Solo-Flex, which is called Bow-Flex is a superior piece of equipment. He told me that if it is used, you will get very strong. It works.

If found this here, it is a cheaper price:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2272094&cp=694003

But again, I prefer to go to the full blown gym. The people there are always joking around, and so forth. They are nice people, and in this way I enjoy some social interaction at the same time, which I like. It is less boring.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The people there are always joking around, and so forth. They are nice people, and in this way I enjoy some social interaction at the same time, which I like. It is less boring.

That's the way forward, less likely to quit when you have people around you for support and conversation. Boredom is peoples main reason for quitting apparently.

mtcougar832

White Belt
Reaction score
Have:
Bikes, Running Shoes
Wavemasters (one for the adults and a small one for the kids)
Kicking paddle
Dumbells and bench
Weider Home Gym (giving to a friend - its to big)

Want:
The bowflex adjustable dumbells. More bikes :EG:. More space to do forms (will get after the home gym is removed).

AJPerry

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Things I don't use:

A leg stretcher for flexability
(I realise now that head kicking is only for sport karate not street fights)

Things I do use:

A variety of Kettle Bells, Heavy Bags, a tractor tyre and a sledge hammer.
(my functional strength and back pain has improved since I quit the expensive gym I used to pay for)

MilkManX

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Weight Bench with about 400lbs of weights

Curling bars

Swiss Ball

Jump Rope

100lb Heavy Bag on a stand that also has Speedbag Platform minus the Speedbag lol.(I really need to get one this weekend!)

Exercise Bike

Road Bike

I could also use some 16oz Boxing Gloves for Bag work.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Half of my basement is one big room, 11' by 40' - long and narrow, but good for patterns, and open at one end and in the middle for the patterns that require the space - floored with 1" puzzle mats. I also have a wavemaster and a pair of old mirrored closet doors (free is a great way to decorate), and plans to build and mount a board holder. I have some free weights, but I almost never use them. In winter, my bike is on a training stand in the basement too, but in the summer I ride outside.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
a good quality jump rope
6 wrist and ankle weights, 4 that are of good quality
a broken bench
a bunch of rustly weights that went with the bench
a bunch of rusty dumbbells
a squeeze ball in the shape of a bucket of popcorn
and a stand up punching bag that needs either more sand or water to stop from being knocked down with a single kick. lol

I wish that i had an entire room dedicated to my gym workout and my MA training with working air conditioning and scented candles lol

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a Chuck Norris total gym. Someone was giving it away on freecycle so I snagged it. It's not bad.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a weighted jump rope, a heavy bag with a stand, a small weight set, without a bench, a medicine ball, and a weight vest.

VegasM4

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I converted my 2 car garage into a gym.This is what I have:

gym quality Horizon treadmill

Olympic bench that you can adjust for flat or incline,preacher bar attachment,squat rack,and an attachment for leg curls

Plate tree for plates

Approximately 400 lbs of plates (Olympic) weights and Olympic straight bar

EZ curl bar

Numerous Olympic solid steel dumbells of varying weights

steel rack for dumbells

multipurpose adjustable bench

jump rope

medicine ball

hand grips

Everlast heavy bag/speed bag stand

speed bag

100 lbs and 40lbs Everlast heavy bags