Your goals for 2017

dan.jaret

White Belt
Reaction score
A perfect split, in all directions, and a 180 degrees kick hold.
Move up at least one belt in kung fu and taekwondo.
Finish up all the levels of my training routines (training a routine that goes by levels to improve flexibility and kicks).
Get a house by the beach and a new car.
Buy that beloved piano I've been wanting for months.
Increase my income by 100%.
Remain in perfect health and wake up full of energy each day.

Share yours.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
  • Grow the program to regular 10-person classes (about the limit of our space).
  • Add a Study Group day to the program.
  • Complete the rest of the new Shojin-ryu forms.
  • Shift my business model (for my primary business) to return to profitability, or replace it entirely.
  • Finally actually take some guitar lessons. I love my guitar, but I'm pretty sure she's bored with the one fingerstyle pattern and 3 chords I know.
  • Spend more time in the forest.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A perfect split, in all directions, and a 180 degrees kick hold.
Move up at least one belt in kung fu and taekwondo.
Finish up all the levels of my training routines (training a routine that goes by levels to improve flexibility and kicks).
Get a house by the beach and a new car.
Buy that beloved piano I've been wanting for months.
Increase my income by 100%.
Remain in perfect health and wake up full of energy each day.

Share yours.

Yeah, I would like a piano.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Make it to 2018.

Figure out why BlueTooth keeps messing up in my car.

Visit roger Goodell's grave.

Get a better lens for my camera.

Get a brindle Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy (female). With stinky puppy breath and a waggly tail.

Choke out just one more guy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been thinking for years that playing the piano seems like an instrument that would especially be very rewarding.
That's me and the guitar. Tell you what - you work on your piano, I'll work on my guitar. By the end of the year, we should both be able to play...some damned thing.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's me and the guitar. Tell you what - you work on your piano, I'll work on my guitar. By the end of the year, we should both be able to play...some damned thing.

Sounds good. When I was around 10 or 11, in galaxy far far away. I had ago on a acoustic. Probably a lack many things at time prevented from sticking to it. Loved that Casio keyboard I had. Anyway waffling, really curious on what you play. Acoustic/electric, or both?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. When I was around 10 or 11, in galaxy far far away. I had ago on a acoustic. Probably a lack many things at time prevented from sticking to it. Loved that Casio keyboard I had. Anyway waffling, really curious on what you play. Acoustic/electric, or both?
I have both. The acoustic sits mostly unused - it's an old Yamaha 12-string that used to belong to my grandfather, strung with only 6 strings (because I could never manage to finger any chords on 12). The electric is a semi-hollowbody Epiphone - a beautiful beast with redwood stain. I like it because I can practice while my wife is asleep in the next room by simply not using the amp.

I'd love to be able to play some bits of old folk music, a few soft rock/pop pieces, and a bit of jazz. At present, I can sort of play part of the James Bond theme, a bit of the Pink Panther theme, most of "Away in a Manger", a simple fingerstyle pattern, and not much else. Even with what little i can do, I find playing (especially the fingerstyle pattern) soothing and almost meditative.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have both. The acoustic sits mostly unused - it's an old Yamaha 12-string that used to belong to my grandfather, strung with only 6 strings (because I could never manage to finger any chords on 12). The electric is a semi-hollowbody Epiphone - a beautiful beast with redwood stain. I like it because I can practice while my wife is asleep in the next room by simply not using the amp.

I'd love to be able to play some bits of old folk music, a few soft rock/pop pieces, and a bit of jazz. At present, I can sort of play part of the James Bond theme, a bit of the Pink Panther theme, most of "Away in a Manger", a simple fingerstyle pattern, and not much else. Even with what little i can do, I find playing (especially the fingerstyle pattern) soothing and almost meditative.
Whenever you make it into Lexington and we get a workout in, maybe I can give you some guitar tips. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a passable amateur performer.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever you make it into Lexington and we get a workout in, maybe I can give you some guitar tips. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm a passable amateur performer.
Tony, if any of your tips make it sound - even momentarily - like I know what I'm doing, I'll buy the beers.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tony, if any of your tips make it sound - even momentarily - like I know what I'm doing, I'll buy the beers.
I have the same advantage in teaching music as I do teaching martial arts - I'm profoundly lacking in natural talent for either field and so I'm well acquainted with all the problems and pitfalls that an untalented student will encounter along the way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You two should try a pair of 1210's and American House. When you untalented, you do it really wrong :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Old folk music, only listened to Irish. Finger style pattern? Jazz. Don't understand it for minute, or maybe a few seconds. Aside from NYC and Chicago House, Jazz seemed little noisy, if you see what I mean.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old folk music, only listened to Irish. Finger style pattern? Jazz. Don't understand it for minute, or maybe a few seconds. Aside from NYC and Chicago House, Jazz seemed little noisy, if you see what I mean.
I'm a soft-jazz guy. I do enjoy some other types of jazz from time to time, but soft stuff (like Sade, The Crossing, Stanley Jordan) is what I really like. I also love blues guitar.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a soft-jazz guy. I do enjoy some other types of jazz from time to time, but soft stuff (like Sade, The Crossing, Stanley Jordan) is what I really like. I also love blues guitar.

Sade? I am really shocked here, never expected that. Blues, only a little, aside from the obvious of course.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Choke out just one more guy.

I'm about to head to Kauai, but if I make it to Maui, I'll give you a head's up for a beer and choke.

Goal:

BJJ: get my *** back on the matts and get a couple of stripes on that blue belt. I've started weight lifting but made far too many excuses for not being on the matts in BJJ. I think I only did around 50. I was pulling a lot of 60 hr work weeks making it difficult. Just changed jobs and then wife is about to be gone for 5 months, so it's a good chance to hopefully get 200+ hrs of matt time this year.

Language: sit down and get Thai script figured out so that I can leap frog my abilities with it. The same for Mandarin.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Martial arts goals:
Continue refining my BJJ fundamentals, especially takedowns and guard passing.
Improve my cardio to the point where I can realistically enter a BJJ tournament. I haven't competed since I was a brown belt and I think it would be good for me to give it another try.
Do more stand up sparring. I've been too sporadic with that lately.
Build a solid foundation in Capoeira and earn my first cord at the Batizado in the Spring.
Make more progress in Wing Tsun - if @yak sao and his son ever move class back to the weekends.
Be more consistent with my mobility and strength & conditioning training.

Non-martial arts goals:
Get my household budget under control and pay down old bills
Continue my Portuguese study and get myself to the point where I can read a newspaper in that language.
Prepare for and pass at least a couple of professional certification exams.
Continue efforts I began over recent weeks to keep my apartment consistently neat so that I can invite guests over without having to allow time for frantic cleaning.

I'm not normally one for New Years resolutions, but these are mostly initiatives that I had begun over the last couple of months anyway, so it doesn't hurt to make a public commitment to continue them.