your favorite move??

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing kyorugi my favorite move or combo is dolyo chagui followed by ti-chagui or momdolyo chagui, don't know if I was so influenced by Chuck Norris movies back in my youth but I always send one or two direct kicks (round ones) and then a spining back kick or spining hook kick, I also like to use the reverse punch (bande motong chirugi).

Manny

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Manny.
I have little experience using techniques in kyorugi, but I love dwit chagi (I believe it's called back kick or spinning back kick in English, and it's probably the same ti-chagui you talked about). I love the direct motion (of extending the leg) that makes it a fast and powerful kick, and the turn that adds power to the move. It seems to me just so impressive that we can intercept an advancing body with a direct and powerful counterattack. I myself have used it sometimes successfully against round kicks. Off course there's the problem of turning your back to the opponent, but anyway no technique is useful alone.

I also like the jumping spinning back kick, wich is visually beautiful and seems to have a faster turn, because of the jump (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like to add to this topic: anyone who wants to talk about their favorite moves could talk a little about such moves, so we could go deeper into understanding them, or the way each person understands them.

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A low side kick to the knee as it will stop just about anything thrown at you. Though I do have some trouble getting the timing right with that one. A spin back kick used as a counter can do the same, and is a little bit easier for me. I also like the shadowless kick since it's not very common most people don't defend very well against it.
There's also a combo that I really like which is if my leading punch gets parried, or blocked I drop it down in a semi circle, and turn it into a hook. But this is only for an opponent who uses parried, or blocks.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kyreugi - Dwichagi - Back kick, because I can do it better than any other kick. Faster than the average person's reaction time, in my experience, which is great for scoring an easy couple of points. I also like that after one good back kick people think twice about charging in towards you. Turning the back is no problem, as it's exposed for a very short time.

Practical self defence - Batangson chigi - Palm heel strike, because it has worked for me.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Prop sidekick. Most people I train with would say its my axe kick, as I have the most consistent success with it. Prop sidekick though, is my favourite and seems to work a treat.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I probably gotta go with the Back Wheel Kick or the Butterfly kick. Combination wise gotta go with a high punch to open up the mid section into a Side Kick

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, Manny.
I have little experience using techniques in kyorugi, but I love dwit chagi (I believe it's called back kick or spinning back kick in English, and it's probably the same ti-chagui you talked about). I love the direct motion (of extending the leg) that makes it a fast and powerful kick, and the turn that adds power to the move. It seems to me just so impressive that we can intercept an advancing body with a direct and powerful counterattack. I myself have used it sometimes successfully against round kicks. Off course there's the problem of turning your back to the opponent, but anyway no technique is useful alone.

I also like the jumping spinning back kick, wich is visually beautiful and seems to have a faster turn, because of the jump (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

I'd like to add to this topic: anyone who wants to talk about their favorite moves could talk a little about such moves, so we could go deeper into understanding them, or the way each person understands them.

Yes, we love the same kick my friend, twi-chagui is su powerful technike that can breab a ribe cage easily, the impact it's so powerful that when aplied correctly it can send a guy to the floor.

Manny

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
On a slightly different note, ones I've found to be effective, somewhat by accident my my ahem..less controlled phase:

Ridge hand to the ribs. Was never convinced by this one, until I hit my training partner's ribs with a double-tap at the front on a step through when I got a little too close. This was though a Daedo chestguard. Didn't break the ribs, but pushed them out of their seats at the back where they meet the spine. He had to go to hospital and have them re-aligned. Said it wasn't that painful, just uncomfortable.

Spear hand to the eyes. Same training partner, 3 weeks later. He moved as I went for a (pulled) spear hand. Scratched cornea, he went down like a sack of potatoes. That strike really worked.

Needless to say, the next time we trained together he made me feel as welcome as a fart in a space suit.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Outside forearm strike to the brachial plexus. I've used this and it works quite well, even on intoxicated persons or persons under the influence of drugs. Knee spike is a close runner up.

Latest Discussions