Your Favorite Extension

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
American Kenpo has many techniques as well as extensions. Thought it would be interesting to hear what your favorite extension is!!

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Geesh, that's a tough question.

Well, at the top of my head, here are some of my favorites:

Raining Claw
Triggered Salute
Crossing Talon
Gift of Destruction
Dance of Death
Five Swords
Shielding Hammer
Evading the Storm
Snapping Twig
Leaping Crane
Repeating Mace
Twirling Wings
Parting Wings
Defying the Storm
Thrusting Wedge
Begging Hands
Fallen Cross
Retreating Pendulum
Menacing Twirl
The Back Breaker
Gathering Clouds
Bow of Compulsion
Returning Storm
Intercepting the Ram
Destructive Twins
Obscure Claws
Taming the Mace
Heavenly Ascent
Capturing the Storm
Squatting Sacrifice
Detour from Doom

Okay, now I will limit it to my favorite (at least for today, LOL) extension per belt. Ask me tomorrow, and you may get a completely different list.

Orange extension: Dance of Death
Purple extension: Parting Wings
Blue extension: Defying the Storm
Green extension: Capturing the Storm

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! That is quite a list Jamie!!

Here are a few of mine:

Clutching Feathers
Dance of Death
Parting Wings
Thundering Hammers

Mike

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
WOW!!! That is quite a list Jamie!!

Here are a few of mine:

Clutching Feathers
Dance of Death
Parting Wings
Thundering Hammers

Mike

YA! Gotta love Dance of Death and Parting Wings eh (notice the Canadian in me) Mike?

Jamie Seabrook

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think one of my favorites that I have so far is Brushing the Club. Not sure what the original Parker name was, (sorry). The attack is a overhead club from 3o'clock.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm of the camp that minimizes the extensions in the context of how poorly most folk do the base techniques. Personal ideology: Spend more time dialing in on the first 2-3 moves of the standard techs, so one does not NEED extensions, or the redundancies embedded within.

Anyways, probably more than 95% of the kenpoists I see doing extensions look like disjointed marionettes flailing haphazardly at the mosquitoes around their heads. Hence, my position of not having a favorite extension.

Yes, I did learn them. No, I don't practice them. Don't know many oldsters that do, and it hasn't hurt their game any.

Best Regards,

Dave

PS -- My favorite extensions would be the ones Pamela Anderson wears in in her hair in those running bikini shots from Baywatch. :partyon:

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
I'm of the camp that minimizes the extensions in the context of how poorly most folk do the base techniques. Personal ideology: Spend more time dialing in on the first 2-3 moves of the standard techs, so one does not NEED extensions, or the redundancies embedded within.

Anyways, probably more than 95% of the kenpoists I see doing extensions look like disjointed marionettes flailing haphazardly at the mosquitoes around their heads. Hence, my position of not having a favorite extension.

Yes, I did learn them. No, I don't practice them. Don't know many oldsters that do, and it hasn't hurt their game any.

Best Regards,

Dave

PS -- My favorite extensions would be the ones Pamela Anderson wears in in her hair in those running bikini shots from Baywatch. :partyon:

So what about the other 5%? It may not have hurt their game, but how much better would they be if they did the extensions? It's obvious you think they're not a worthwhile endeavor, but did you really LEARN them?

DarK LorD

Kim Dahl

White Belt
Reaction score
Could some one please inlight me, why you would use alot off time on Extension. I meen if you are not Abel to finish the fight in the first couple off moves. Then you are in alot off trouble
anyway. And no extension in the world can help you.
Yours in the arts
Kimpo

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kim Dahl said:
Could some one please inlight me, why you would use alot off time on Extension. I meen if you are not Abel to finish the fight in the first couple off moves. Then you are in alot off trouble
Yours in the arts
Kimpo

I agree that yes, in a combat situation, survive the initial attack, counter or finish and leave is the course of action to take. No one is going to perform a technique with extension. However, I look at all techniques AND extensions as lesson in themselves. There are flows, targets etc shown in the extensions that are not found in the base techniques that are usefull to add to the tool box. As an example off the top of the bald pate dance of death extension with joint manipulation of the foot and pinning on the ground using the knees ect. Not many other base techs touch this subject.

I agree with some here that on first sight the techs with extension look too lengthy and complicated and totally un realistic but when you examine the extra lessons within the extension they are useful - well they are to me anyway

I dont like the 'whats your favourite' type questions but I thought I'd respond in this off shoot from the original question

jonah

Jagdish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
My favorite is the long one that connects the wall socket to my big screen TV.

Doc:

What about the Wi-fi connection.:roflmao:

Yours,

Jagdish

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
Come on guys don´t take it so literally here. Learning the extensions will just give you more insight on what to do when in a real situation.

In Kenpo you´re never expected to complete a perfect technique when out in the streets (even without extension), but say you know so many techniques and so many extensions that you are able to pick out (instantly) a very good combination out of some techniques when facing an attacker. Í think that´s the place that´s desired, not to be able to complete say, Crossing Talon perfectly with extension and everything.

So yes, in summary, extensions are helpful.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kim Dahl said:
Yours in the arts
Kimpo

The extensions offer what-if scenarios should the base technique go wrong. Also,while the extensions utilize many of the rearranged movements already contained in the base techniques, they uniquely show how upper body principles can also be applied to the lower half of the body. For example, you will see more leg sweeps and buckles in the extensions than were previously done in the base techniques. With compounded variables of foot maneuvers and timing, the techniques become more advanced. From this perspective, much of the extensions involves new material and gives instructors the opportunity to evaluate different ways the techniques can be performed.

Jamie Seabrook

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
KenpoVzla said:
Come on guys don´t take it so literally here. Learning the extensions will just give you more insight on what to do when in a real situation.

In Kenpo you´re never expected to complete a perfect technique when out in the streets (even without extension), but say you know so many techniques and so many extensions that you are able to pick out (instantly) a very good combination out of some techniques when facing an attacker. Í think that´s the place that´s desired, not to be able to complete say, Crossing Talon perfectly with extension and everything.

So yes, in summary, extensions are helpful.
I'm sure Jim Mitchell would agree with you, however in our curriculum any useful info that MIGHT be addressed in the "so-called" extensions are covered in the default techniques. Call what we do a "throwback/forward." You see, I remember when the 32 chart orange "extensions" - weren't.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
...any useful info that MIGHT be addressed in the "so-called" extensions are covered in the default techniques...

I am only trying to discover what other kenpo camps think, so please don't flame me I am only looking for knowledge.
Continuing on with the extension point of view let us pick apart a technique that all parties should have that is similar. Most here will know "deflecting hammer" or to some "deflecting the kick." The extension(granted our extension may be slightly different than most) is not covered in the default technique.

Deflecting the Kick (Deflecting Hammer) If these are not the same tech please let me know.

I am going to give a very short explanation of this technique, (sorry my time is slightly limited)
1. Starting in a natural stance step back to six w/ left foot to rt. nuetral bow, execute a rt downward deflecting block w/ left check in checking position.
2. Execute a step drag with oppenent timing should be check w/step(pinning or preventing possible punch)inward elbow w/drag.

Now I believe this is where a lot of schools stop the original technique. Please correct me if this is not the case. Some of the schools may actually teach more to this tech.

Extension (again slightly vague sorry wish I had more time on my hands)
3. With right hand execute an outward crane hook to the neck, left hand grabbing oppenents rt wrist(this can be done several different ways such as doing a sliding hooking pin), stepping back with right foot to a left nuetral bow. The wrist that you have in your left you should drag along their back as you bend them over. Putting them in a kindof reverse hammer lock. (I should have picked an easier technique to picture):D The oppenent is bent over completely now.
4.Execute a right knee to the collar bone.
5. As you land back into your lt nuetral bow dislocate the attackers arm by pulling toward you as you execute a right downward handsword strike to the neck.
6. Coverout

Now my question is: How does the first half of the technique or original technique cover what is in the extension portion? There does not seem to me to be a lot of similarities.
The other question is who teaches only the first part and why?
Or are there other versions of this technique that other BB's teach? (without using obvious point referencing)

I am interested in hearing all replies.

Michael

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Yellow Belt Techniques do not have extensions as written. I do like yours' however. Here is the material I have at http://kenpo-texas.com/techyel.html

4. DEFLECTING HAMMER (front- right front thrusting ball kick)

1. With your feet together step back with your left foot toward 7:00 into a right neutral bow stance (to move out of the Line of Attack), while simultaneously executing a right downward diagonal block, against the outside of your opponent's right kicking leg. Your left hand checks at your solar plexus.
2. Without hesitation and while still in your right neutral bow, shuffle forward as your left hand checks inward and toward your opponent's biceps. Your right hand cocks at the right hip in preparation for an elbow strike.
3. Just as you conclude the shuffle execute a right inward horizontal elbow strike to your opponent's face, "with" a left sliding check down and onto your opponent's right elbow.
-Michael

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Billings,
That is almost identical to the way we teach our beginners as well. Thank you for your post.

Michael

Latest Discussions