Your Favorite Drills

izeqb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys (and gals)...

Thought it would be cool to share our favorite Wing Chun drills... I'll start, and hope you'll chip in :)

I'm totally in love with the four corners drill. I actually think that I got introduced to it on this very forum...

The idea is that the attacker swings with a right hook, then a left hook, next a low right hook/uppercut and finally a low left hook/uppercut. Then repeat.

The WC guy defends with tan-dar and gan-dar (or something like that, depending on linage etc.)

After a while, you can increase the speed and the more you do so, the more "chaos-like" this drill will be. Which is the purpose (when I do it, anyway).

Later you can add straight punches into the mix and play around with it from latsau (or chainpunches vs chainpunches)

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do enjoy this the same, realistic distance and like you say working towards the actual chaos. I asked about chi gerk not long ago and really enjoyed it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite drills are always changing, depending on the level of the partner I'm working with and what we want or need to focus on that day. Lately I've been having a lot of fun with drills involving a lot of footwork, such as:

Stance sparring: Two students square-off in "Character Two Stance (IRAS) with arms chambered at their sides, then step forward into advancing step position. As the students close, they use only their stance structure and steps to get an angle, penetrate through, and uproot their opponent's stance and structure.

Lat sau 1-3 with advancing, retreating and passing steps, with kicks and leg defenses. These are fairly involved sequences and would be hard to explain here, but anybody from a WT or NVTO heritage, especially with EWTO connections knows what I'm talking about.

Another drill using steps along with (one)hand is:

"Free" Dan Chi..." That's Dan-Chi with high, medium and low level attacks, and with advancing, retreating, and turning steps, going to either side, i.e. From the top position, fook sau counters palm strike and advancing step with the classic jum-sau and inside turn, or with kau-sau to the outside gate if the force takes you that way. Similarly, from below (in tan-sau) you throw a palm but may have to counter with a low or "dai" bong-sau, a normal bong, or a high inside-gate punch (depending on the force you receive). Or if your opponent plucks your palm to the outside with a kau-sau, taking the inside line and counter-striking with a palm, now you are on the top/outside and have to counter with jum-sau, followed by a punch, etc.

The combinations are nearly endless, and can be expanded to include the whole range of WC techniques, including fak-sau, biu-tze sau, elbows, ... basically almost everything that's in double-arm chi-sau... but simplified. The addition of the advancing and retreating steps really brings the drill alive.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I quite like to do one arm sparring in contact or out of contact , against one arms or two arms.
The one vs one is good for junior students because they only have to worry about keeping their one arm on the centreline , forward force , maintaining angles etc easier for them to concentrate on.

The one arm versus their two is good for me because it provides me with more of a challenge .

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am with geezer on this one, lat sau, footwork within lat sau, kick defense and different set ups from lat sau all are a blast.. I love my footwork!
There is a particularly nasty defense against a kick, when you use a front leg step to close some of the distance, they fire a kick and you switch to the back leg and use your knee to come down right above their knee.. ow!