Your 1st Dan testing..

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to get a fresh look at what different schools require as far as testing for 1st dan goes.

what did you have to endure?
be detailed.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me it was three days

1st day all about conditioning

second day was kikcs and punches combo's and then self defense and one steps.

3rd day was sparring all day one on one two on one and three on one, if you was able to stand to recieve your BB you did if not you tested again.

It was more about your mental then physical, as the instruvtor already knew you knew it just if you could endure it.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mine was in 1985. I was 17. I'm not I can remember all the details. It was 3 hours long & I tested alongside the gup students. I did all the forms alongside the gups students in addition to doing them alone. One-steps, sparring several people (including all BB's who were in attendance...3-4), breaking.

It was in front of a master whom I'd never met before.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ours was a closed test for students testing for BB's and dans only.

Our instructor flew in a fellow instructor that had been a student in the same dojang at the same time, and he gave the instruction to all of us.

We first had to do line drills in various combos...and we had to do them at full speed and intensity, hitting target pads held by the judge. This was done for the first 25 minutes.

Next, we had to perform the forms from Chon-Ji to our current form, twice, at our own time.

After that, we had to break boards...I had to break 4 stations of 2 boards: a back-elbow, reverse punch, spinning backfist, and axe kick...I was not allowed to concentrate before each break...instead, I was given enough time to set up the stations to the point I wanted them, and I was allowed 2 "dry runs" to make sure the distances were right...and then I had to break at full speed, as if performing a combo against opponents.

After that, I had to spar a 1st dan who was testing for 2nd, who outweighed me by 65 pounds at the time, and then another recommended blackbelt who was roughly the same size as I was. I sparred each person for 3 3-minute rounds. After that, I sparred 2 other recommended blackbelts at the same time that were roughly the same size as I was for 3 3-minute rounds.

Once we were through with that, we were told to line up and perform axe kicks at full speed and intensity until the judge was tired. We did this for about 15 minutes, non-stop.

After we were told to stop that, we had to perform our forms from Chon-Ji up again twice.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
TKD
1st dan
chun ji
tan gun
to san
won hyo
yul gook
guen gwen
hwa rang
chug mu
chul gi
bassai

then all punches and kicks

then 20 one steps (8 set, 12 made up)

Self Defense

Knife defense

breaking 8 boards total, 2 boards at a time

sparring

Mine was 22 fights, including 1-1, 2-1, and 3-1, all against BB's

2nd dan was
4 kata
3 step sparring
bull in the ring vs 6 attackers for 5 minutes
specialty (i did kenpo self defense demo vs multiple attackers)
Made up bo kata, min 40 moves
breaks
4 fights vs BB's

Kenpo was harder mentally and easier physically

about 75 self defense techniques

4 kenpo kata
2 shotokan kata
1 lua kata
1 weapon kata

breaking (very unusual in a kenpo school, but the guy was a maverick)
3 inch punch through 2 boards

no sparring (i still had a busted nose from the last sparring class)

RobertS

White Belt
Reaction score
Mine was 22 fights, including 1-1, 2-1, and 3-1, all against BB's

22 fights? Wow.

This thread is interesting to me because we get to see the differences of focus and standards for different schools to some extent.

My 1st dan test:

Several Forms (Palgwe forms, and Hwarang)

One-steps, Two-steps, and Three-steps with and without takedowns

I think we did knife defense but I could be confusing that with the previous test (temporary/recommended black belt test)

Falls and rolls

Contact sparring (with gear-more or less olympic style)

2 on 1 sparring (vs two third dans with no gear and only light contact)

Breaking (had to break a concrete slab with a ridgehand)

Questions about terminology, philosophy etc.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question. Hope I can remember what happened.

First was a ton of basics.
stances, punches, strikes, kicks, foot maneuvers

After that was the forms. Chong-Ji through Choong-Moo.

Next, came the self defense techniques.
There were a lot of techniques to do.

Lastly, there was a 30 minute sparring session between me & the other guy who was testing for first black.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
light warm
200 to 300 single punches in horse stance if not more
45 min blocking if not longer
45 min kicking if not longer
45 min combo blocks and kicks if not longer
every form from (taeguek) white up twice at different counts
all self defenses taught from white up 5 one one-steps each level
endurance drills 30 to 45 min if not longer
breaking five self designed breaks
sparing usually with an elite sparing team member.

we were tested by masters outside of our school to insure non bias grading. testing was opened to public, friends, family, and fellow students.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've detailed my 1st dan test in a coupel of old posts...unfortunately do not have the time to dig them up.

Short version,
Have to demonstrate all 8 taeguk forms plus koryo, 10 prescribed self defesne techs, 10 prescribed one step punch sparring techs, 4 different kicking combinations (prescribed), 1 minute instant creation self defense, breaking (5 different breaks prescribed), 2 on 1 sparring no pads medium contact, grappling (back to back and from back press position...so at least 3 rounds), dive tumbling/falling skills, self defense from knife (3 prescribed techs), treminology, written essay, physical skills (25 pushups, 50 rowing excercises).

Peace,
Erik

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1) Write the check
2) Sign the check
3) Hand the check over to Grandmaster
4) Wait for check to clear
-Note- Step 1 could be substituted with cash or money order. ha.ha.ha. Kidding

My first black belt was in TSD. We did the following:

A - Techniques - All techniques (blocks kicks punches) from White - Black belt...you were supposed to do them 10 times each per side, but the average was about 15-20 times each. You had to do stance work, shifting and moving in your stances, which entailed executing technique combos

B - Self Defense - 10 pre-arranged SD techniques vs. punches, 20 free form SD techniques vs punches, SD vs knife (5), SD vs stick (5), SD vs wrist grab (5), SD vs lapel grab (5), free form SD vs grabs (10)

C - Forms - Kicho 1-3, Pyoung-ahn 1-5, Palgue 1-8, Bassai

D - Sparring 2 minute rounds - 1 vs 1 (4), 2 vs 1 (3), 3 vs 1 (2), Instructor vs you (1)

E - Breaking - 1 Hand, 1 foot, 1 head, 1 demo

F - Weapons - If you had a weapon form you did it (He did't teach weapons as a formal lesson, only if you were doing tournaments)

For my 1st dan in Kumdo

8 basic cutting Set 1-3
5 two man sets
5 Hwarang O'Gae forms
2 Advance forms
5 rounds of sparring (5 minutes per round different opponents)

For my first dan in KKWTKD

All techniques
Taeguk 1-8
One Step Sparring
Breaking.

It was an easy test to say the least.

When I go for my Shorei the format is this -

Techniques from White to Black
Ippon kumite kata - 1 - 15
Tazu nara waza - 1-10
Circular self defense (pre-arranged) 1-8
Advance self defense (pre-arranged) 1-10
Free form self defense

Katas - Taikiyoko 1-3, Wansu, Anaku, Empi Sho, Gyakusei, Tai Ichi Gedon, Bassai-Dai, Seuonchin, Sanchin, Taichi Neko, Dahnanho (any other forms you may have learned for traditional tournaments as well as any other forms from prior training)

You will need to know bunkai for all katas performed. You will need to know hidden moves as well as history of katas

Weapons - Bo, Tonfa, Sai, Kama, Nunchaku (must know theory for each as well as history). You will have to run all weapon katas as well as implement them in empty hand katas. You will have to run any other weapons that you learned in prior training.

Sparring - We do not have formal sparring. What you do is called walking the line. All black belts line up and will execute some sort of technique. You will counter and try to move up to the next person in line. The next person can execute as soon as he sees your "finishing move" with the first person. They can punch, kick, take down, whatever. You are done when you finally pass a certain distance.

The average time for the test is about 4-6 hours all done in one setting.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Demonstrate Palgue Chil and Pal, free fight three separate people, combination break. This is a 1st Dan testing, not Marine basic training. Never understood three day testings or fighting 22 people. You can't tell someone's worthiness in 20 minutes?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is the question specific to TKD?

I ask only because the very concept of having to 'endure' for a belt test is a little strange to me.

In my Lau days, we were drilled until physically exhausted before testing to show that technique was inate and not reliant on physical freshness but to construct an examination to deliberately 'abuse' the student to see if they will quit ...

A test should be a formality. You wouldn't be doing it if you weren't ready and didn't have the requisite skills and attributes. Turning it into a Japanese game show (you know the sorts I mean) just sits wrongly with my concept of how the martial arts should be.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My I dan test was back in 1989 when I was 18. If I recall everything correctly it went like this:

Patterns:
Saju Chirigi
Saju Makki
Chon-Ji
Dan-Gun
Do-Son
Won-Hyo
Yul-Gok
Joon-Gun
Toi-Gye
Hwa-Rang
Choong-Moo

Fundamental Exercises:
Fee combinations back and forth across the floor demonstrating techniques from all gup levels.
Free combinations on body shields.
Demonstrated various kicking techniques as directed by instructor.

Sparring:
3 step sparring
1 step sparring
Free sparring against one other red belt.
Free sparring against a black belt.
Free sparring against another higher ranked black belt.
Free sparring against two opponents.
(Note: My instructors have since added 2 step sparring and semi-free sparring to their testing syllabus.)

Breaking:
5 boards with a side piercing kick.
1 board, suspended break, with a reverse turning kick.
1 board, suspended break, with a knife-hand strike.
Flying twin footed front kick, one board with each foot.

Theory:
Written paper on some aspect of Taekwon-Do. Mine was about 7-8 pages long on sport versus traditional martial arts.
Verbal testing on terminology for various techniques and the different aspects of the Theories of Power.

I was plenty tired at the end of an almost 3 hour test and I didn't even even spend three days testing nor did I do 10,000 push ups. Those kind of things are fine in training, to be honest, but they fit better in special training camps or even (and perhaps better) in individual training excursions undertaken in private where the person pushes himself to and past his previous limits. They have nothing to do with rank but rather relate to training and forging one's spirit.

Pax,

Chris

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I ask only because the very concept of having to 'endure' for a belt test is a little strange to me.

In my Lau days, we were drilled until physically exhausted before testing to show that technique was inate and not reliant on physical freshness but to construct an examination to deliberately 'abuse' the student to see if they will quit ...

A test should be a formality. You wouldn't be doing it if you weren't ready and didn't have the requisite skills and attributes. Turning it into a Japanese game show (you know the sorts I mean) just sits wrongly with my concept of how the martial arts should be.

I agree in a way. It is true that if you weren't ready for the test, then you wouldn't be testing. But that's the key: you're ready for the test, not what comes after the test. In a way, it kind of goes into the question of why have a formal test...why not just have your instructor judge whether or not you're ready without your knowledge that you're being tested?

Testing, IMO, can be viewed as a formality. But, then again, college students are required to take final exams to determine if they need to go back over the cirriculum again...some have the option of bypassing the test, but normally everyone takes finals.

A blackbelt test is like a final exam to me. Now, I agree that the test shouldn't be "game show" material, but it also shouldn't just be a walk in the park, either. Wearing someone down before their test to the point of exhaustion and then have them complete the test is a test in itself. It's all in how you look at it.

I have seen people fail blackbelt testings. They could come to a regular class, have good technique, good attitudes, and comprehension of the material...but, once it came time to test, and were tested under the same things they were taught in class, they didn't perform as well as they needed to. Now, in some cases, this can be considered under the notion of "test anxiety"...but, you can you usually tell who has test anxiety and who just has poor peformance.

But I do understand where you're coming from.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Demonstrate Palgue Chil and Pal, free fight three separate people, combination break. This is a 1st Dan testing, not Marine basic training. Never understood three day testings or fighting 22 people. You can't tell someone's worthiness in 20 minutes?

Well for my GM it was about your mental discipline more so techniques, he knew you knew but was you willing to put your body though hell if need be. The physical part was just to test your mental strentgth. See some still believe you must be mentally strong to recieve a BB and just not go though the motion.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I agree more than I disagree with this.

An exam in school, would consist of things you already know/have been taught. Not to say it won't be difficult, but you should know or have the ability to decipher exactly what to do to pass. Thats kind of the idea. I don't disagree or agree with the long drawn out testings some of the users here have had to endure. I see why they were made to do this, but I also see why it wouldn't make a difference if you didn't. I'm tested physically every single time I go to class. I feel like the test should be a direct correllation to what I have been taught in class. I'm not sure testing should be an "iron man" contest as it is in some schools. It should be difficult, yes.. but it shouldn't just be a "lets see how long you can go til you fall out" thing either.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wanted to get a fresh look at what different schools require as far as testing for 1st dan goes.

what did you have to endure?
be detailed.
1. Write and recite an essay on how Taekwondo changed your life.
2. Know the Korean vocabulary used in class.
3. Warm up and calisthenics.
4. All techniques.
5. One steps.
6. Perform Taegeuks il-jang through pal-jang without error.
7. 100 round house kicks, axe kicks, front kicks, and side kicks alternating from right leg to left leg, 100 punches.
8. Breaking of three stacked 1" pine boards using whatever technique GM Kim calls out (for me it was a knife hand, a jump side kick, and a jump axe kick if I remember correctly).
9. Sparring four students WTF style for two three minute rounds apiece.
10. Maintain composure and proper etiquette throughout the testing.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I had to do a similar test for kendo. At our school, the test is a test. It is assumed that you know the material: the test is to challenge the student under pressure and to test the student's mental composure when he or she is physically exhausted and cannot rely on things such as youth or natural strength and speed when the sparring starts.

Daniel

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Brandonlucas goes to the same school as me.. but it seems the testing procedures for black have changed... or are at least lessened for the younger folk.

the last black belt test I witnessed.. it went as follows.

1. stretching
2. basic techniques
3. all kicks
4. forms white to black in succession
5. essay about how tae kwon do has help me
6. Breaking. 4 stations 2 boards each.. you pick the techniques.
7. sparring - 1 vs. 1 for 2 3 minute rounds, 2 vs. 1 for 2 - 3 minute rounts, 3 vs. 1 for 2 - 3 minute rounds

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in 1987 when I did my firsth dan black belt examination, the examn took several hours, we did punches,kicks,blocking technikes at first, then we did poomse, then we did light sparring,then self defense aplications (on step, three steps and long), then breaking and finally full sparring (olly wearing shin protectors if you like) with three oponents.

Today as long as I know the black belt testings are, morning one (very early) conditioning, day two technikes, and day three, technikes,board breaking,self defense,poomse and sparring (one on one or with more guys).

Manny

Latest Discussions