Your $101M Acquisition

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I tend not to be too charitable of individuals...too many people like to wallow in their misery...(not to say I would not know a couple who would deeply appreciate a shot in the arm)

But in all seriousness...you win 100 million, you will need every penny to fend off all those friends and family that you never knew you had....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OK a serious post on the topic.

Jenna ironically the day you posted this I was driving past a daycare center that appears to need a roof and I was actually thinking if I had “Trump money” (Donald Trump) I would go buy them a new roof. There are also multiple groups that help and protect children I would give money too as well. I would also make donations to school systems in my area.

I am pretty sure I could go through $100 million fairly easily... However in my state it would not be $101millioin, it would be taxed because lord knows the government needs their share

Well after the government takes their *ahem* share (and just WHAT entitles them to anyway?... oh right because I live here :rolleyes: ). What you were talking about... the daycare center needing a new roof, probably could use a few other things as well... it's what I was talking about. Sure it's nice to give to the big organizations (Cancer, Heart, Make-A-Wish, et al) but like I said earlier... locally who could use a helping hand? Real question is what are their real needs? You're driving through a neighborhood and see a house in sad disrepair and know there's a family living in there anyway and think to yourself... yeah $5,000 should help them get that house back in order... not perfect but decent looking... but what does that family REALLY need? Payment on late medical bills? Food? Mortgage late? Kids need new shoes/clothes? ... THAT I think is what people would appreciate. Extreme home make-over is a great show no doubt. They not only provide a new house but also new interiors for the house and all the bells and whistles to go with it. Sad thing is lately they've been finding the folks that have gotten the amazing new house have either sold it or NEED to sell it because Dad/Mom still needs a new job or their bills still haven't been paid. What they need to do is make a show called Extreme LIFE make over. Bills paid, mortgage paid off or at least caught up, job prospects, fridge and pantries full of food ... things that really matter I reckon. Still having helped out in anyway possible (even if it's a couple hundred bucks) says a lot about you as a person.
I tend not to be too charitable of individuals...too many people like to wallow in their misery...(not to say I would not know a couple who would deeply appreciate a shot in the arm)

But in all seriousness...you win 100 million, you will need every penny to fend off all those friends and family that you never knew you had....
That's why it's better to disappear off the face of the earth (and net) for a couple of months until the furor has died down and the door has been replaced (from all the "pounding" to get in).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hmm... how lucky can you get?

Attachments

• $believe it or not.jpg
    $believe it or not.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 115

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm... how lucky can you get?

:lfao:

I am sure she is the love of his life....the other way around? Weeeeellllllll.......

But I changed my mind...
I think I would spend my money to bring the Teletubbies, Tots TV and Theodor Tugboat back to TV!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Young adult lit. (and Manga) ^_^

I like to deal with people on hand I get along with. Meaning the library branches (by city) I have dealt with and found the staff to be personable. (the one I am going to currently could use some comfortable lounging chairs, too...)

As for sheet music....I suppose torrent is nice, but you have to pay royalties if you want to be able to perform them
(I would also try to establish a 'Schulwerk' music program in elementary schools. Music is very important!)

But I changed my mind...
I think I would spend my money to bring the Teletubbies, Tots TV and Theodor Tugboat back to TV!

I think these ideas are wonderful ideas my friend! Dealing with those you know on a (reasonably) personal basis is a sound safeguard against false "friends" and faux needy who, as you say, would come tripping over theirselves to fawn. Literature and reading, regardless of the genre, is imperative I agree and music brings its own joy and enlightenment, I like your thinking very much granfire :) Tots TV? Oh goodness did you get that over there? I think me and the boy tolerated that show while waiting for like Bob the Builder or Thomas the Tank Engine ha. I should think you all speak French or Spanish very well now :)

My list of charities is made up of some small organizations that are doing important work, but largely fly under the radar. They struggle and fight battles that nobody else sees as important, but I support what they do. I'll write a check tho, and not hand over the cash.

As far as the self-gratification issue: I dunno, but I see your point and I see the potential. the way I see it, any lotto winnings are unexpected funds, a pure bonus, and when the numbers are that big there's no reason to be stingy with those who are important in one's life. You're on the list, kid.
I think many smaller organisations are no less worthy of assistance and do work at a much more grass roots level so I am with you there absolutely.

Can I ask do you think Michael that martial arts in any format at all would be a worthy recipient of your money?

No that's what Id do with my Million. I quoted the wrong line.
Ah now well I should like to know what you would do with $100M that was earmarked for those other than yourself?

Have to hurry to class, so I can`t delve too deeply into the discussion yet. As for Jenna`s original question: If I`m allowed to keep 1 million and have to give the rest away, I`d set up a couple of trusts that give scholorships to train people in hands on work in skilled trades like cabinetmaking and other fine woodworkin, cooking, etc. Then I`d have another that gives low interest loans to those wanting to start their own businesses. Teaching people to fish as it were.
Wow this is an insightful plan. As not only will these that you have chosen to patronise learn to "fish" and but they in turn can train their own proteges thereby elongating the life of your donation. I like that plan a lot. Business start-ups will in turn reinvigorate the local area in which they are based. Excellent! :)

I would put the 1 million Euro ($1,435,800USD) into bonds so I would not loose the base and live off the annual interest alone.

The rest of the 100 Million Euro would be fun to spend.
I have ideas from time to time. One is to buy enough into the company I work for now so I could make some management changes and let certain people go.

I also thought about a Cancer research as my mother dies of Adrenal Cancer.

I also could use it to run for office as it would nto be for me it would be for the "PEOPLE". Ok even I cannot keep a straight face in writing on that one.

There are lots of people I know that 50,000 to 100,000 would put them in a place where they woudl ahve to work but they coudl live in a less dangerous neighborhood, or live in better conditions as they would not have to work so hard to cover bills. It would be a personal list of people I knew who would benefit small amounts at a time.
I like your prudence with your own share Rich. I think that is wise indeed. And yes 100 million dollars or Euro (we still use pounds sterling here thankfully!) would be fun to dish out for sure! Spending this in areas that you are already involved will I think ensure your donation is best employed and not squandered. Issues that have personally affected you are sure to be high on the list. As trite a hypothetical as my question is, I am pleased you have thought about it. I think too often we see ourselves as being near the bottom of the wealth ladder rather than (on a global scale) almost at the top. Thank you! :)

Rich, would it be worth spending any of this money on martial arts type schemes or projects?

OK a serious post on the topic.

Jenna ironically the day you posted this I was driving past a daycare center that appears to need a roof and I was actually thinking if I had “Trump money” (Donald Trump) I would go buy them a new roof. There are also multiple groups that help and protect children I would give money too as well. I would also make donations to school systems in my area.

I am pretty sure I could go through $100 million fairly easily... However in my state it would not be $101millioin, it would be taxed because lord knows the government needs their share
This is fantastic XS, it is encouraging that you had cause to think on this already. Facilitation of child protection is admirable. AS is donating to schools and but I wonder (paradoxically) are schools the best potential educators of our children? I think that is one for another day though :) I would hope though that your $101M charitable donations might be written off as tax deductible no? As for your own $1M well you can hire some fancy tax lawyer to avoid any fiscal penalties ;)

Can I ask you would you not spend any of this money on martial arts projects at all?

Well after the government takes their *ahem* share (and just WHAT entitles them to anyway?... oh right because I live here ). What you were talking about... the daycare center needing a new roof, probably could use a few other things as well... it's what I was talking about. Sure it's nice to give to the big organizations (Cancer, Heart, Make-A-Wish, et al) but like I said earlier... locally who could use a helping hand? Real question is what are their real needs? You're driving through a neighborhood and see a house in sad disrepair and know there's a family living in there anyway and think to yourself... yeah $5,000 should help them get that house back in order... not perfect but decent looking... but what does that family REALLY need? Payment on late medical bills? Food? Mortgage late? Kids need new shoes/clothes? ... THAT I think is what people would appreciate. Extreme home make-over is a great show no doubt. They not only provide a new house but also new interiors for the house and all the bells and whistles to go with it. Sad thing is lately they've been finding the folks that have gotten the amazing new house have either sold it or NEED to sell it because Dad/Mom still needs a new job or their bills still haven't been paid. What they need to do is make a show called Extreme LIFE make over. Bills paid, mortgage paid off or at least caught up, job prospects, fridge and pantries full of food ... things that really matter I reckon. Still having helped out in anyway possible (even if it's a couple hundred bucks) says a lot about you as a person.
That's why it's better to disappear off the face of the earth (and net) for a couple of months until the furor has died down and the door has been replaced (from all the "pounding" to get in).
I think you are absolutely right my friend, local is the key word here maybe. Your donation can have more of an impact on your area and those that inhabit it and perhaps you can safeguard its use a little more. I think real needs and like-to-haves are difficult to differentiate if you do not know individuals involved and you must therefore defer to local organisations that *do* know individuals or go yourself into your community places and meet people there :) I think there is a sliding scale and what is genuine survival need for one individual or family might be table scraps to another. Still, the decision will be yours and yours alone :) Spend wisely :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can I ask do you think Michael that martial arts in any format at all would be a worthy recipient of your money?

of course. My list of friends includes my teachers and classmates and friends I've met thru training, and an influx of finances can give them more freedom to train/teach/whatever they wish to do.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think these ideas are wonderful ideas my friend! Dealing with those you know on a (reasonably) personal basis is a sound safeguard against false "friends" and faux needy who, as you say, would come tripping over theirselves to fawn. Literature and reading, regardless of the genre, is imperative I agree and music brings its own joy and enlightenment, I like your thinking very much granfire :) Tots TV? Oh goodness did you get that over there? I think me and the boy tolerated that show while waiting for like Bob the Builder or Thomas the Tank Engine ha. I should think you all speak French or Spanish very well now :)

LOL, actually my French is only marginally better than my Spanish (which is non exist)

But I adore the Tots!

I would love to find out how having schulwerk in the lower end schools would impact test scores!

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
LOL, actually my French is only marginally better than my Spanish (which is non exist)

But I adore the Tots!

I would love to find out how having schulwerk in the lower end schools would impact test scores!

I think the value of music to young learners is gaining some momentum. Yes, it would be interesting to see how these programmes would boost learning, I think we underestimate the link between music and mathematics especially.

Ah I would not begrudge you and yours the Tots then :) I could never get beyond those squeaky voices and squishy faces, though remembering that I grew up with the Muppets that does seem a bit contradictory ha :) Take care, Jenna x

of course. My list of friends includes my teachers and classmates and friends I've met thru training, and an influx of finances can give them more freedom to train/teach/whatever they wish to do.
Would you ever consider setting up any kind of martial arts project with this money? Is it possible that martial arts can have a positive effect on the community?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like your prudence with your own share Rich. I think that is wise indeed. And yes 100 million dollars or Euro (we still use pounds sterling here thankfully!) would be fun to dish out for sure! Spending this in areas that you are already involved will I think ensure your donation is best employed and not squandered. Issues that have personally affected you are sure to be high on the list. As trite a hypothetical as my question is, I am pleased you have thought about it. I think too often we see ourselves as being near the bottom of the wealth ladder rather than (on a global scale) almost at the top. Thank you! :)

Yes I have thought about it do what I can to help causes I like and care about as well as people I know. Thank you for your kind words.

As to being on top, I know that more than others. What I make for me living humbling, versus some friends who make less and support more people and even struggling from time to time. A loan of cash to get s major item fixed and giving them time to repay without interest and or borrowing a vehicle or selling them a vehicle for real low cost to them or no cost so they can get through a rough period and get back to doing mroe for themselves. I expect nothing in return. Once again thank you for your kind words.

Rich, would it be worth spending any of this money on martial arts type schemes or projects?

It could. It would be a large training hall where people I know out of work could come and make some money for the meet and greet and answering the phone and covering a class or two. But it would also fall under helping friends. :)

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes I have thought about it do what I can to help causes I like and care about as well as people I know. Thank you for your kind words.

As to being on top, I know that more than others. What I make for me living humbling, versus some friends who make less and support more people and even struggling from time to time. A loan of cash to get s major item fixed and giving them time to repay without interest and or borrowing a vehicle or selling them a vehicle for real low cost to them or no cost so they can get through a rough period and get back to doing mroe for themselves. I expect nothing in return. Once again thank you for your kind words.

It could. It would be a large training hall where people I know out of work could come and make some money for the meet and greet and answering the phone and covering a class or two. But it would also fall under helping friends. :)
Rich, your magnanimous viewpoint and your sense of humanity over greed is encouraging as always. You are right, his money would go far in helping friends and entire communities. You could change a great deal with an amount like this - I am just checking and this lottery has not yet been won. The jackpot for Tuesday is now £154M (US$245.5M). And this is why I am asking the question because there are in my mind too few people as yourself and others who have commented who would keep only a little of that money and utilise their time and the rest of that money to seeking worthy benefactors. I think it is an obscene amount to be entrusted to one individual who is as likely to accumulate a hangar full of private jets and exotic motor cars as they are to invest in something immediate that could save members of their own community for years and possibly generations to come.

Specifically regarding the martial arts, I would set up here a training hall where folks from around the area could come and train for free with myself and with other associates I know that train other arts in the borough. This is something I try to encourage anyway and but I hope that by diverting their energies into hard training they can find a greater attraction than they do in gang participation which is something of a problem around these streets. I think martial arts can have a very positive set of benefits in areas like mine and which I think are common around the world. Thank you as ever for your input.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, your magnanimous viewpoint and your sense of humanity over greed is encouraging as always. You are right, his money would go far in helping friends and entire communities. You could change a great deal with an amount like this - I am just checking and this lottery has not yet been won. The jackpot for Tuesday is now £154M (US$245.5M). And this is why I am asking the question because there are in my mind too few people as yourself and others who have commented who would keep only a little of that money and utilise their time and the rest of that money to seeking worthy benefactors. I think it is an obscene amount to be entrusted to one individual who is as likely to accumulate a hangar full of private jets and exotic motor cars as they are to invest in something immediate that could save members of their own community for years and possibly generations to come.

Specifically regarding the martial arts, I would set up here a training hall where folks from around the area could come and train for free with myself and with other associates I know that train other arts in the borough. This is something I try to encourage anyway and but I hope that by diverting their energies into hard training they can find a greater attraction than they do in gang participation which is something of a problem around these streets. I think martial arts can have a very positive set of benefits in areas like mine and which I think are common around the world. Thank you as ever for your input.

Jenna,

To be honest I most likely would keep more. Seting aside 2 to 3 million or even 4 million in bonds and such would make for living of the interest with no work real easy.

I also would set aside stuff for education funds for niece's and nephew's. But that could be considered for me as it is family.

I also would do as I stated with the training hall, but once again if I own it it is for me.

All of these are not too bad, but did not fit into your initial rules. ;) I tried to play within them. Yes I know I am greedy, but the plans would set me up for fail safes and bad markets and bad times. :D

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What a million dollar home is like... well add a couple hundred thousand here and there.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/112748/million-dollar-homes-across-america-cnbc

Oh and nice places to retire to... once you get that acquisition of course.
http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement...o-retire-abroad-kiplinger?mod=retire-planning
How the other half live indeed! There is something amiss when the number of millionaire properties sold has increased this year (here in London). Wow, what depression. The Euromillions lottery here that prompted me to post has once again rolled over to £166M (US$266M). Scary.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How the other half live indeed! There is something amiss when the number of millionaire properties sold has increased this year (here in London). Wow, what depression. The Euromillions lottery here that prompted me to post has once again rolled over to £166M (US$266M). Scary.
Heh... where can I buy a ticket? :uhyeah:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd pretty much do what I do now. I'd just have a nicer car and really nice shoes.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd pretty much do what I do now. I'd just have a nicer car and really nice shoes.
Yes, if you were able to keep $1M surely, too many shoes is not a thing we can ever have! :D and but what if you were charged with distributing the other $100M? Can I ask what would you do then?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is where we differ. I don't see why it is at all obscene for a person, to win or earn that kind of money. But we all know how the Lottery winners work, they can win infinity and still be broke in 2 years. People who didn't start the day with money (or financial knowledge) loose it just as quickly because they don't know how to manage it.

I have an uncle that won $1,000 a week for life in a Michigan Sate lottery. He began living beyond that and ended up selling it for a lump sum at what I'm sure was a tiny fraction of the long term value. Now he has nothing again.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have an uncle that won $1,000 a week for life in a Michigan Sate lottery. He began living beyond that and ended up selling it for a lump sum at what I'm sure was a tiny fraction of the long term value. Now he has nothing again.
I wonder do you think he would have been better served by not winning that prize at all?

Latest Discussions