young female wrestlers

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The ALCU has stepped into the fray to get a female wrestler into the tournament. She wants to wrestle with the boys because there aren't enough female wrestlers. See the article:

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2466259

Do you agree or disagree with the decision of the officials? Is an all-girls division a satisfactory solution, or would you have wanted wrestling to go co-ed anyway?

- Ceicei

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a martial artist I hate it when I am in tournaments and they seperate the men and women. I find sparring the men more of a challange and prefer it.

Unless they can do up a full and equal sized grouping of females with equal skills they should combine the guys and the girls and if the guys don't like it, my thoughts on it are oh well.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My son is a sophmore at his high school and is on the wrestling team. The boys and girls train together and wrestle together, Tournments are separate. Yes you can see how the guys grappler and you wonder about there movements on the girls. So far the girls have not made this an issue. the guys are very much aware and try not to get to involve with certain holds and pins. Watching this as a parent as a father of a boy, makes me feel un easy but if I had a daughter, I think I would say something to the coaches. The girls do get a good work out and learn new moves. I have not talk to the girls and do not know there feeling on this. In the Hawaii schools boys wrestle boys and girls wrestle girls. Two of the returning girls are State wrestling champs. Judo is the same,girls and the boys train together at the school. What is the right thing to do? For sure we need the kids input,besides parent, coaches and the school stystem.

OP
Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
still learning said:
The girls do get a good work out and learn new moves. I have not talk to the girls and do not know there feeling on this. In the Hawaii schools boys wrestle boys and girls wrestle girls. Two of the returning girls are State wrestling champs. Judo is the same,girls and the boys train together at the school. What is the right thing to do? For sure we need the kids input,besides parent, coaches and the school stystem.
As you say, Judo has similar issues. I will have to admit I've never watched an actual Judo tournament that is co-ed (males competing with females).

In tournaments, they go by weight division. Why should the issue of female/male matches make it be different if pound for pound, they may be evenly matched. It looks more like the issue has to do with social views rather than simply a concern of gender difference and abilities.

Does social views have a place in sports/martial arts when competition is based primarily on skill and physical abilities?

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions