You will never run again.... Blog Post

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder if the Yoga exercises helped strengthen tendons that were weak, which in turn helped your running. I used to run a lot and I don't ever remember doing exercises that specifically help strengthen tendons. We often trained the muscles and not the tendons. I know Yoga does both really good.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!"

upload_2017-5-16_13-42-10.jpeg

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
"Run and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!"

View attachment 20702

"Before you criticize someone, you should run a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
-Unknown

"I believe that every human being has a finite number of heartbeats, and I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises."
- Neil Armstrong

:D :D :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I wonder if the Yoga exercises helped strengthen tendons that were weak, which in turn helped your running. I used to run a lot and I don't ever remember doing exercises that specifically help strengthen tendons. We often trained the muscles and not the tendons. I know Yoga does both really good.

It likely contributed, however I have been back at yoga for a few months now, and I can say it did help greatly with the Arthritis pain, but I still could not run, I think the addition of the low impact aerobic and light weight work got me the rest of the way.

Before I would say to myself, I'm going to run, and there was nothing in my muscles responding to that beyond a fast walk. Just could not get the legs to do what I wanted, it was almost like I forgot how to run. Now, they seem to work a little better

BuckerooBonzai

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I used to do a lot of road running (up to 50 mile ultras on pavement) but in the past few years I find that I do almost all of my running on trials.

It feels like so much less impact on the joints and it also seems to require more lateral stabilizer muscles/tendons/ligaments and that helps to strengthen my overall running form.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I can't do that...I had a friend who use to do that in competition and I harassed him mercilessly for it. He took it well, but I don't want to push and have him see me doing it...he was a postal worker (that and he is a full 6 inches taller than me)...that type of thing could send him over the edge :D

But seriously, thanks but the heel toe step is not going to work for my hips. I was told, by a previous orthpod, long before the arthritis, due to back issues that because of the way my hips are set, tilted slight back, that cross country skiing was out...but snow shoeing was ok. I cannot physically keep my knees together and bring them to my chest due to the way my hips are set.

And by the way, the merciless harassment of my friend for race walking is a true story. :D

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But seriously, thanks but the heel toe step is not going to work for my hips
Ironically this is not the best way to run or walk because of the problem heel strikes cause when walking or running. A lot of people run barefoot because it forces them to use better running technique. There's a lot of information about. So if you run or walk barefoot a lot outside then you probably have better technique than someone like me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will only run if I'm chasing somebody, and if they're young and fast I'm probably not going to catch them.
And I don't think that running should be done on cement/asphalt.

But, my buddy Richard, a long time Kyokushin black belt, runs ten miles every day (EVERY day) on the road. He's in his sixties and is as good a shape as anyone I know. He's obviously nuts.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I will only run if I'm chasing somebody, and if they're young and fast I'm probably not going to catch them.
And I don't think that running should be done on cement/asphalt.

But, my buddy Richard, a long time Kyokushin black belt, runs ten miles every day (EVERY day) on the road. He's in his sixties and is as good a shape as anyone I know. He's obviously nuts.

Obviously..... I think it is part of the requirement to become a Kyokushin black belt..... don't tell him I said that :D

iain_meyers

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to hear about your problem.

I don't know if relevant to you but I found that losing a lot of weight really helped with issues like hip and knee pain. I lost around 25kg, ending up around 65kg which I have maintained through diet. Hip pain is not an issue for me now and I feel much younger.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously..... I think it is part of the requirement to become a Kyokushin black belt..... don't tell him I said that :D

Your post was in reply to what I said about my buddy, Richard, running ten miles a day.

Since then, I've met his wife and son. Really nice folks. I was talking to his wife one day and asked "when was the last time Richard didn't go for a run?" His wife thought about it for a bit and said, "Oh, it was two or three years before our son was born."

Their son is in his twenties. Ten miles, every single day. That's just nuts. Certifiable.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to do a lot of road running (up to 50 mile ultras on pavement) but in the past few years I find that I do almost all of my running on trials.

It feels like so much less impact on the joints and it also seems to require more lateral stabilizer muscles/tendons/ligaments and that helps to strengthen my overall running form.
It's also just more fun. I loved road running, actually, for the ability to mostly not pay attention to my feet/legs when on nice pavement. But the trails present a more pleasing challenge. Picking up a new pair of trail running shoes next week, to get back at it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be the entire requirement. I think the skills get them to brown, then insanity carries them over the top to black.:D

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Agree on the weight loss thing. Running was a pain before I lost about 15 pounds in 2011. Now that I've gained the weight again, it's a pain again. :D Back to the gym for squash, cardio and weights. That's the only combo that works for me. YMMV.

Anyway. What helped me (run-bounce-wise) at age 51 was recalling some advice I read as a teenager, when training for a marathon: try to run silently. When we run that way, we use our muscles and tendons as shock absorbers, which is way better than using bones and joints for the same purpose. It requires more of a midfoot strike and a focus on a level-gliding torso, one that is not going up and down so much. It feels like ... cruising or gliding, if that makes sense.

Also, it was a good idea to loosen up the glutes a bit as I ran, so I could feel them jiggle just a tiny bit. Why hold them tight, if I could run just as well? Sung glutes?

Also, I made my gait a bit more narrow (width) and short (length). The former helps prevent plantar fasciitis (IMO) and the latter allows the midfoot strike, since a long stride requires a heel strike. It requires a faster turnover (pace), but the shorter stride really smooths everything out.

Zhan Zhuang, strangely enough, seems to have helped me "check in" and analyze the effect of running on my body.

Worth considering.

P.S. I really hope that the idea of a narrower running gait gains traction for sufferers of plantar fasciitis. It helps avoid over-pronation without the need to buy compensating shoes. Also, there's less side-to-side movement. Good all-around, IMO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree on the weight loss thing. Running was a pain before I lost about 15 pounds in 2011. Now that I've gained the weight again, it's a pain again. :D Back to the gym for squash, cardio and weights. That's the only combo that works for me. YMMV.

Anyway. What helped me (run-bounce-wise) at age 51 was recalling some advice I read as a teenager, when training for a marathon: try to run silently. When we run that way, we use our muscles and tendons as shock absorbers, which is way better than using bones and joints for the same purpose. It requires more of a midfoot strike and a focus on a level-gliding torso, one that is not going up and down so much. It feels like ... cruising or gliding, if that makes sense.

Also, it was a good idea to loosen up the glutes a bit as I ran, so I could feel them jiggle just a tiny bit. Why hold them tight, if I could run just as well? Sung glutes?

Also, I made my gait a bit more narrow (width) and short (length). The former helps prevent plantar fasciitis (IMO) and the latter allows the midfoot strike, since a long stride requires a heel strike. It requires a faster turnover (pace), but the shorter stride really smooths everything out.

Zhan Zhuang, strangely enough, seems to have helped me "check in" and analyze the effect of running on my body.

Worth considering.

P.S. I really hope that the idea of a narrower running gait gains traction for sufferers of plantar fasciitis. It helps avoid over-pronation without the need to buy compensating shoes. Also, there's less side-to-side movement. Good all-around, IMO.
My gait narrowed quite naturally when I shifted to a forefoot strike (I over-did the shift, went right past mid-foot - still trying to correct that).

Latest Discussions