You Too can be a WC Master

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you who have been involved in WC, or any other martial art for that matter have seen this happen. Students you have known drift away and then, after several years, re-surface as "masters" with all kinds of glorious titles and claims to special training that, mysteriously, you never heard about when you new them!

Now, I dropped out of the martial arts for a long time, so it's only natural that when I came back to training, some of my former juniors had passed me in skill. Two in particular have reached a very high level of accomplishment in their respective arts and certainly merit the title of master. But, each had ability, intellect, and invested more than 25 years of hard hard training to get to where they are. Ving Tsun Master Jeff (NVTO) and Eskrima Master Martin (DTE), my hats off to you both. You Rock! This thread is not about guys like you. It is about the other kind of so called "master".

The other kind I'm talking about are the self-promoted "legends in their own minds" who give themselves titles, proclaim themselves champions of competitions nobody ever heard of, get a slick website, market instructional programs and products--including their own mail-order "black sash programs" and the like. Eventually, their poor, deluded students start schools, and their student's students start posting on forums about how wonderful, respectable, and legit these guys are. And how I should train under so and so to learn the real thing. And I say, "Who?!? You mean my old student, kung-fu nephew, etc.???" Hell, I oughtta proclaim myself a "master", except I'd rather wait till i earn the title... someday. Sorry about the rant, guys. But every time this happens, I kinda lose it. This ever happen to you?

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you who have been involved in WC, or any other martial art for that matter have seen this happen. Students you have known drift away and then, after several years, re-surface as "masters" with all kinds of glorious titles and claims to special training that, mysteriously, you never heard about when you new them!

Now, I dropped out of the martial arts for a long time, so it's only natural that when I came back to training, some of my former juniors had passed me in skill. Two in particular have reached a very high level of accomplishment in their respective arts and certainly merit the title of master. But, each had ability, intellect, and invested more than 25 years of hard hard training to get to where they are. Ving Tsun Master Jeff (NVTO) and Eskrima Master Martin (DTE), my hats off to you both. You Rock! This thread is not about guys like you. It is about the other kind of so called "master".

The other kind I'm talking about are the self-promoted "legends in their own minds" who give themselves titles, proclaim themselves champions of competitions nobody ever heard of, get a slick website, market instructional programs and products--including their own mail-order "black sash programs" and the like. Eventually, their poor, deluded students start schools, and their student's students start posting on forums about how wonderful, respectable, and legit these guys are. And how I should train under so and so to learn the real thing. And I say, "Who?!? You mean my old student, kung-fu nephew, etc.???" Hell, I oughtta proclaim myself a "master", except I'd rather wait till i earn the title... someday. Sorry about the rant, guys. But every time this happens, I kinda lose it. This ever happen to you?

Don't get mad, just laugh at them. I've seen it more than a few times myself now. Not enough time in life to waste it being mad.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. In Kamon we have had several students leave and try and set up on their own. The worst example was one guy who left after doing a year with us and resurfaced with his own website and school etc. I actually went down for a free lesson and the look of shock on his face was priceless!

Ive trained 23 years in martial arts, training all different kind of styles, but I definately do not feel comfortable enough to call myself a master

Ive always thought that a master should be someone who adapts what he has learnt and is recognised by his peers or equals etc as someone who has completed or even surpassed the system

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

This has been happening for quite a long time... even Musashi Miyamoto in his Book of 5 Rings, in the Earth Scroll, complains about that. No kidding. Go look for it if you don't believe me.

So, this has been going on for about 400 years at least... Don't seem to be a stop to it... That's ok.

If you is good, and you can consistently kick ***, there should be no problem. After they get their asses kicked, they can either come train with you and learn the good stuff, or enjoy their non nutritious plate, while saying that you suck.

That is proof that you're on the right path.

Latest Discussions