You know Wing Chun? Show me!

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one ever asks me to show any. A few know I do WC but none ever want to see any.

Years ago I had a situation with a "mate" who did the "what if I did this" Especially when we had had a few pints. I put him down in a controlled manner once and then dropped to throw a few chain punches to keep him down. NOT to hit him just to pull. As I had had a few pints my range was a bit out. He got a black eye and didnt bother doing Kato style attacks on me after that. I did feel bad about his black eye....for about 2 minutes.

It always makes me think of the guy in ETD with the terrible Kiwi accent....

"Do I bother ya"
"Whats your style"

Would love to be as coolio as Bruce and say "The art of fighting without fighting"

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Years ago I had a situation with a "mate" who did the "what if I did this" Especially when we had had a few pints. I put him down in a controlled manner once and then dropped to throw a few chain punches to keep him down. NOT to hit him just to pull. As I had had a few pints my range was a bit out. He got a black eye and didnt bother doing Kato style attacks on me after that. I did feel bad about his black eye....for about 2 minutes.
Been there a couple times as well. No black eyes but wrongly judged the distance and hit his jaw.

I also agree with what was said before that you should explain the faster they attack you the faster you have to respond so there is a chance of hurting them.

The same person whos Jaw I hit on a different occasion tried again and since he wasnt getting any where just start swing arms at me quickly. Obviously I needed to respond quickly so I wasnt hurt but he did end up on the floor.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was like that's cool.. of course every time he saw me after he had to test me with "What would you do, if I do this?" Oh boy...

This guy would actually see me walking through the building and run to catch me coming down an isle or walking through an area and jump out at me with no warning... You can see where this is headed right?

The problem was he'd jump out with these almost full speed and power attacks...I know he was not at full speed or power but, they were without warning. I had to literary put him on his a$$ before he got the point!

I had the same thing happen with two other co-workers that were wrestlers...

So If I can help It I don't tell or show anyone anything! If by chance I do show someone something I explain "the harder and faster they hit the harder and faster I have to hit back to respond to the attack." They usually get the message then.

I had the same problem about 20 years ago. There was this guy at work, did some boxing when he was younger, he'd sneak attack me and throw a punch or something then say 'see, I got you, where's your martial arts now?' Of course, I wouldn't do anything cause I didn't want to hurt him. Finally, I got tired of it cause he was giving me a bad name, people say things to me like 'man, he would have got you. I thought you did martial arts to protect yourself, and you can't do anything to stop him'. So I decided one day that I would not try to hold back anymore. After that point, everytime this guy (or anyone) would try to surprise me or jump out at me, I'd just let go. I always intercepted him, trap his arms and punch him (lightly) in the throat.

After a couple of months of not being able to 'get in on me' or surprise me like before, he quit. Course he always said when I countered 'man, why you have to hit me?' And I'd say ' I train to protect myself, I can't make any exceptions. I spend hours and hours building the skills to protect myself from people doing exactly what you're trying to do to me. I can't make exceptions just because you're my friend and want to play and attack me for your amusement'. He understood and quit. Of course, he quit because he could never get in on me.

So I just tell my students not to tell people they do martial arts. Until they have a few months under them and can actually protect themselves.

It's funny, whenever people find out you do martial arts, they're always trying to prove it doesn't work or you're not any good at it. But when you prove to them it does work or that you have skills, they say things like 'that's not fair, your trained and can hurt people really fast' or something to that effect. In any event, you're damned if you do or damned if you don't. So I just do it.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This guy would actually see me walking through the building and run to catch me coming down an isle or walking through an area and jump out at me with no warning...

"Kato? ..... Kaetooouu!! .. This is your employer speaking....I am calling off the attack......"

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
I put a phone book on their chest , 1 inch punch them into a wall , and after that they don't ask me again.
The phone book is supposed to go to their chest? No wonder I keep losing friends, I've been having them hold it over their face........ jjjeeessshhhhh, aren't these "tricks of the trade" written down somwhere? So I suppose I'm not really supposed to finger jab them in the eye either?
Bummerz

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
The phone book is supposed to go to their chest? No wonder I keep losing friends, I've been having them hold it over their face........ jjjeeessshhhhh, aren't these "tricks of the trade" written down somwhere? So I suppose I'm not really supposed to finger jab them in the eye either?
Bummerz

Well I wasn't going to say , but I was wondering why all your friends looked like they'd been chasing parked cars.

Latest Discussions