You folks do fun stuff!

Shuto

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've been studying Budo Taijutsu for about a year and last night we had a guest instructor give a seminar on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Gracie). I have to admit that I was not very enthusiastic about attending. In fact, I was sorry that I had signed up because I'm very sore from my other training, but I'm very glad that I perservered and went to the seminar.

I really liked the way that the instructor organized his class. He would have us start out in a particular position and show a technique. Then he would show a counter for that technique and then show a counter for the counter and so on. Step by step, we would build up a series of ~half a dozen moves. I found this style of teaching very practical and helped me to understand some of the strategy behind it.

We do some joint manipulation in our style and so I was familiar with the basic concepts, although I have never worked on ankle manipulations before. Something that I've never done, however, is chokes. I was amazed at how subtle and effective they are. I say subtle because they really don't hurt in the same manner as a joint manipulation. I found myself feeling the pressure but not a lot of pain when suddenly I was starting to see stars. If I hadn't tapped out, I would have blacked out. Cool stuff.

Before attending this seminar I appreciated the practical aspect of knowing grappling techniques but I didn't have a strong desire to practice them just because I liked them. This seminar changed that. I had a lot of fun last night and I would really enjoy doing it again. I now have a greater appreciation for why one would study this art.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it. After a while doing striking arts, I took the plunge into formal BJJ instruction in January 2006. I have enjoyed it immensely, and can already see a huge improvement in my groundwork.

Latest Discussions