you don't transition in mma.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just like you don't transition from blocking to punching. Or punching to kicking.

You don't transition from standing to groundwork.

Like a cake. It is not just a bunch of ingredients. It is a cake.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just like you don't transition from blocking to punching. Or punching to kicking.

You don't transition from standing to groundwork.

Like a cake. It is not just a bunch of ingredients. It is a cake.

I pretty much agree with Drose. I don't know what else to say, but I'm trying to understand what you're saying.
When you clinch or grapple with a target, you physically connected to them. And depending on how you've clung together, you can do different things. When you are no longer clung to your opponent, you can move around freely and are no longer inhibited by your opponent's physical body.

Are you saying.....that groundwork, clinching and standing are all part of a single, larger dynamic? Just a different situation from before? No different that taking a different standing stance attempting to kick?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Drose. I don't know what else to say, but I'm trying to understand what you're saying.
When you clinch or grapple with a target, you physically connected to them. And depending on how you've clung together, you can do different things. When you are no longer clung to your opponent, you can move around freely and are no longer inhibited by your opponent's physical body.

Are you saying.....that groundwork, clinching and standing are all part of a single, larger dynamic? Just a different situation from before? No different that taking a different standing stance attempting to kick?

Yeah pretty much. The dynamic changes in a fight. It changes if you are going backwards and forwards. If you are tired or fresh if you are backed up against a wall or they are.

But you are not doing different striking transitions.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has nothing to do with being MMA or not. It is just the dynamics of movement within a fight.

You don't transition from jab to cross to left rip. You throw it as a combination.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
BJ Penn, in his Book of Knowledge, talks a lot about transitions and entries - from a successful takedown to a dominant position on the mat, or from a clinch to a takedown. What about those?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
BJ Penn, in his Book of Knowledge, talks a lot about transitions and entries - from a successful takedown to a dominant position on the mat, or from a clinch to a takedown. What about those?

Different sort of transitions. If you transition from side control to mount that is grappling transitioning to grappling.

I am saying that if you punch kick grapple then you are doing it all at once.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
To transition is to move from a position, posture, form, place, or style to another. The movement is the transition. And has nothing to do with being mma or anything else other than movement of the human body. To perform a jab-straight rt action one must stop the body rotating in one direction and rotate in the other. That is a transition. Again when one stops the straight punch they can recover or transition into a body hook and when performed properly the punchers body will turn at least 90 degs pivoting on both feet. That turn from the straight punch into a body hook is a transition. Once again has nothing to do with mma. It is simply body mechanics and movement.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I know what this "transition" malarkey is referring to. Really must loose my "just shut up and punch attitude" lol. Great post above. I just call it setup and move.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The transition I am talking about is this idea that there is a striking,clinching,grappling mode.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transition I am talking about is this idea that there is a striking,clinching,grappling mode.

Ain't got a clue. If you look at Triathlon, it could be argued that it is a different type like striking, clinching and grappling as three separate things. No fluidity between the three. Seperate changes through an area.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ain't got a clue. If you look at Triathlon, it could be argued that it is a different type like striking, clinching and grappling as three separate things. No fluidity between the three. Seperate changes through an area.

You are not running during the swim in a triathlon. You do strike while you grapple.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you are stating; in mma punching, kicking, grappling etc is mma vs in boxing there is no kicking so a boxer would have to change or transition into a kicker in order to be a kicker also. As an mma practitioner he would already be a kicker as well as a puncher?

Unless, one is, for example, a boxer who is learning to be a mma fighter.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, you are stating; in mma punching, kicking, grappling etc is mma vs in boxing there is no kicking so a boxer would have to change or transition into a kicker in order to be a kicker also. As an mma practitioner he would already be a kicker as well as a puncher?

No I was just trying to point out a different context. Transition is everywhere imho.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The idea is that you are just doing everything at once. You don't from striking mode to grapple mode. Your strikes set up your grappling and so is grappling.

You are in one environment that includes striking,clinching and grappling not transitioning from one environment to another.

It was mentioned in the other thread.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Droze,s quote from the other thread. The transition as a concept where you go strike grapple clinch. And not mma. Or the equivalent.

"Then imo its adds more strategy than boxing as you have 3 areas to play between(striking clinching, and grappling) that you have to know when to transition in the three and how to fight each individual match differently."

Latest Discussions