You always attack first

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the gray area I was talking about, because Floyd does both. But his taking single pot shots with lots of footwork and evading, is very indicative of counter-fighting.

Many actually labels him a Defensive Fighter which is what his Crab Defense is more known for.

Ok but most define a counter as a strike thrown in response to a strike.

you are arguing semantics for no reason.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I just told you the reason why it's important, especially when the OP is suggesting that "going first" is alwyas better. I'm saying it's not necessarily so.

And most to maybe all (since I didn't read all the posts), aren't saying this at all.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the advantage of counter fighting on the street is that your opponent very likely untrained and will over reach go off balance or present you with a leg to grab, chances are that he is also drunk.
If your opponent is "untrained", there are many things that you can do. If your opponent is as good as you are (or better), that will be different.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously, I'm meant that if all things were equal other than they being faster, they'd still beat you due to their speed advantage.

???

I agree, all other things being equal.

As to the question marks, I was referring to some posts above, about somebody feigning asking for directions so they can get close to you to do something to you physically. In that circumstance, they've just put themselves in exactly the place I would like them to be.
It's like pizza delivery, it comes to me, I don't have to go get it. :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But can you describe/explain to me what a counter is (while I wait for Jobo to finish searching YouTube) ?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you defend a strike and then follow up with a strike...therefore 2 moves.... then this is a Return....not a Counter.
My definition of "counter" are:

When your opponent steps in, and punches at your head, you

- kick his chest, it's almost like he runs into your kick.
- block his punch and punch back at the same. it's almost like he runs into your punch.
- sweep his leg when he just put weight on his leading leg.
- shoot at his leading leg and take him down.
- borrow his force, pull his punching arm in, spin your body, horse back kick his legs, and take him down.
- move yourself out of his striking path and lead him into the emptiness (fall off the cliff, or fall into the traffic). :)

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My definition of "counter" are:

When your opponent steps in, and punches at your head, you

- kick his chest, it's almost like he runs into your kick.
- block his punch and punch back at the same. it's almost like he runs into your punch.
- sweep his leg when he just put weight on his leading leg.
- shoot at his leading leg and take him down.
- borrow his force, pull his punching arm in, spin your body, horse back kick his legs, and take him down.
- move yourself out of his striking path and lead him into the emptiness (fall off the cliff, or fall into traffic). :)

Glad to see you changed it from what you wrote in post #67, which were mostly (if not all), "returns".

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Describe to me what a counter is then. Let's see how long as you google and search on YouTube b/c I know you're online right now :D
I'm not doing googling just to prove what I already know, if someone calls me a££££ I counter by say he is a %%%% ,if my neibour sues me, i counter sue. its what one does in response to anothers action in a similar vain

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not doing googling just to prove what I already know, if someone calls me a££££ I counter by say he is a %%%% , its what one does in response to anothers action

You don't know what a "counter" as a opposed to a "return" is, do you?

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pre emtive strikinng isn't the easiest Decision to make.
To protect yourself, you can run, play defense, and test your

- footwork,
- dodging skill,
- blocking skill,

But if someone attacks your family member, you should attack that person that

- His own mother won't be able to recognize him.
- He will regret that his mother ever brought him into this world.
- He won't be able to take care of himself for the rest of his life.
- He will need to pick up his missing teeth on the ground for hours.
- He will need to reconstruct his ugly face.

You can then hide yourself in the Amazon jungle, and live happy ever after with a beautiful Amazon girl.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You don't know what a "counter" as a opposed to a "return" is, do you?
if I borrow my brother in laws drill I return it when asked. If he wont give me my hedge trimmer back I counter by keeping his drill

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone who fights knows what a counter puncher is. And when you go up against a skilled one, it makes for a very long day.

I don't use the terminology "returns". I have no idea what that is. (at least by that name)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In general, you're still going to lose vs. faster fighters, regardless of whether you go first or not.
Have to disagree with you on this. If you attack first, you can force your opponent to play your game and not his. For example, if your opponent is a boxer, you start with an "arm drag" and circle around him. This way your opponent may not have chance to throw his punch before you can take him down.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone who fights knows what a counter puncher is. And when you go up against a skilled one, it makes for a very long day.

I don't use the terminology "returns". I have no idea what that is. (at least by that name)

Apparently, everyone is required to use his terminology if discussing counter fighting.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad to see you changed it from what you wrote in post #67, which were mostly (if not all), "returns".
So your definition of:

counter - A attacks, B responds (resist, escape).
return - A attacks, B attacks back.

Your definition of

- "counter" is my definition of "respond (resist, or escape)".
- "return" is my definition of "counter".

For example, when A sweeps B's leg. B

- bends his leg and let A's sweeping leg to pass under, that's my "escape" and that's your "counter".
- turns his shin bone into A's sweep, that's my "resist" and that's your "counter".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no i let him try, that's what counter fighting is. He has to go first. I'm pretty certain id block it, if not the closer he is the harder it is to throw a power full punch

No that really isn't what counter fighting is. Dont rely on your super fighting skills. You may not have them.

And you have ever heard of an uppercut. Or an elbow?

If you are giving the other guy a positional advantage then you give him the speed advantage.
Eg. Like the first part of this vid.

Munted guy still gets the first shot in inside range.

Because he is set up wrong he doesn't even have time to think before the shot comes in. If you do not act then they can take any position they want. Giving them the strike first advantage.

Come on guys this is basics.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. Lets suggest a counter punch takes 1 beat. And a return takes 2 beats.

So a slip counter jab is a counter.
A block and punch is a return.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No that really isn't what counter fighting is. Dont rely on your super fighting skills. You may not have them.

And you have ever heard of an uppercut. Or an elbow?

If you are giving the other guy a positional advantage then you give him the speed advantage.
Eg. Like the first part of this vid.

Munted guy still gets the first shot in inside range.

Because he is set up wrong he doesn't even have time to think before the shot comes in. If you do not act then they can take any position they want. Giving them the strike first advantage.

Come on guys this is basics.
so counter fighting, ie fighting with counter attacks isn't letting your opponent throw a punch or what ever and then hitting him

I see this making up defintions to support your point of view is catching on round here

Latest Discussions