YMAA Chin Na - White Crane Kung Fu Seminar Review

Discussion in 'MartialTalk Magazine Articles' started by mib2112, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mib2112

mib2112 Yellow Belt

Short version:

If you ever have the chance to take a seminar with Nicholas Yang, do it. It’s an invaluable experience.

Long version:

It’s three days after the Shuai Jiao (Chinese Wrestling), and I am still sore from bouncing off the mats. I got in mid afternoon on Friday, tracked down the hotel (Google Maps wasn’t so helpful with this) and made my way over to the local community college where the seminar was being held.

Beginning at 3pm, we started on the Shuai Jiao part of the seminar. We covered the basics fairly quickly, most of us at the seminar being fairly well experienced in some form of martial art, and began to practice the techniques that Nick Yang showed us. We only covered about four techniques, but we discussed them in depth and went into some variations on them.

After two hours of being tossed around like a rag doll, and doing some of the tossing of other people myself, we stopped for the day and made dinner plans. A special thanks to Chef Joe of M & S Grill in Kansas City, the food was excellent and the service was terrific.

The following morning, I felt like I was hit by a truck. And I learned a valuable lesson about NOT forgetting my Jow for the next time. Making it to day two of the seminar, I was happy to find out I wasn’t the only person who was sore from the previous days class.

Saturday covered Chin Na techniques and White Crane Kung Fu, starting with some discussion of the horse stance in White Crane style Kung Fu. Working on blocking drills, and various China Na exercises throughout the day. The gasps of pain and the sound of one hand slapping a chest to tell their partner that it’s working echoed through the gymnasium we were working out in. With martial artists from various styles of martial arts, each with their own experiences and methods, we learned as much from each other as we did from Nick Yang.

During breaks between being each others arms like pretzels, we had Barbra Langley from YMAA Publishing doing door prize drawings and giving away books and DVDs, as if we really needed to be more hooked on the stuff we are doing. One minor nit pick would be that they try to have some books on hand for the seminar topic for sale (White Crane Kung Fu, Analysis of China Na, etc).

All in all, it was a wonderful experience, giving everyone who attended a chance to learn something new to add to their martial arts toolbox, gave us the opportunity to make some new friends and exchange contact information, so we can continue to learn from each other even after the seminar was over.

The Martial Arts Club at Metropolitan Community College - Blue River will be having more seminars coming up, both this year and going into the future, and I highly recommend anyone who is interested in the topic being presented, get there. The Martial Arts club was extremely welcoming of of coming in from out of town, arranged great deals on hotel rooms for us, and showed us a terrific time.

If you are one of the people who think that Kung Fu is not effective, I would ask you to attend a Chin Na seminar by YMAA, and you will quickly change your mind.